  1) Re: can a plane be an electric vehicle (at least a little bit)?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: motor selection - AC55 vs Siemens - torque calculation
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: motor selection - AC55 vs Siemens
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Logisystems controller works well.
  5) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Emeter Test
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: clutchless vw
        by "john" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: clutchless vw
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: charger woes, obsolete parts
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Meter polarity question
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re:123 STREET E CLUB
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Meter polarity question
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: motor selection - AC55 vs Siemens
 16) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: S-10 now stripped
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: 123 STREET E CLUB
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: 2 cars, 4 options.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Free Subaru 360/600 body no motor
 22) Autoclutching an EV, was Re: clutchless vw
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Clutchless EVs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) RE: can a plane be an electric vehicle (at least a little bit)?
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) OT: LEDs Will Replace "everything!"
 26) Re: Meter polarity question
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- You'd be amazed at the resistance to change the aircraft industry has historically had. The resistance to adopt fuel injection comes to mind. In fact, many craft even lack electronic ignition and still use a points-based ignition. I'm not in the industry but I hear it's just there isn't a lot of trust in new electronic designs for one. Not entirely unwarranted, we've probably all heard of someone with a lemon car whose computer just killed the engine for no apparent reason. Nobody wants to be in that one lemon aircraft.

The general aviation market in the US has been quite dead for a long time. Many of the craft in service were built in the 70's, then lack of strong market in private planes and crushing liability lawsuits are blamed for keeping it down and there isn't much for new craft available.

Danny

rcboyd wrote:

When you develop an electric system that weighs in at total of three
hundred pounds, puts out a hundred horsepower for over three hours, and
can be recharged in 15 minutes, then you can compete with a Cessna 150
or Piper super cub.
Bob Boyd (Over 15000 hours in all kinds of aircraft from gliders to four
engine jets. WW2 fighter pilot. Aircraft mechanics aircraft and power
plant license, and Instructor and Airline transport pilot ratings.)

 Date:  10/21/05 8:23:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryan Stotts)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Dennis wrote:

 >  #### SLICKS are not street legal###### in the 123 club

 I meant to write DOT "Slicks". ;)

 They have tread...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=15715&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=36685

 http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip_et_street.html

 Rock hard radials are actually dangerous.  Slicks are safer in dry
 conditions.  If it's not raining(summer), the less tread the better.
  >>legal DOT are fine

I am gonna second the sentement about electrolytics going bad.
And going bad by increased ESR not loss of capacitance, so much so that
I can see my meter takeing longer to get a reading.
I have been forced to repair some switchmode power supplies that are
obsolete and the oscilator just stops.

>From what I gather, designers can design to different levels of stress
on these caps and different degrees of dependence on the low ESR.

Are the electrolytics of today better than 10 years ago?  Is there a way
around this problem?

While my charger is down for repairs I'm using my 12V
charger to charge my batteries in pairs. This is
taking quite a bit longer than I expected it to, but I
don't have a choice right now. Anyway, I'm using a DMM
to monitor the charging process. I moved the charger
to the next pair and I put the meter leads across the
battery. I inadvertently reversed the probes and I got
a reading of -14.7V. This was higher than I expected,
I switched the leads around and got a reading of
12.5V. This was closer to what I expected to see. This
was before I turned on the charger. I went to a pair
that I had already charged and got the same difference
when I switched polarity on the meter. What would
cause this? I'm using a calibrated Fluke 87-III that I
borrowed from work, it's no $10 Harbor Freight meter.
Any thoughts?

TiM

http://farechase.yahoo.com

That's funny Dennis I never said that.

I just resent you tweaking your nose at us all.

You already have more cash and backing in that truck that anyone else in
Nedra has this year.

Ever feel you are bragging alone on a street corner????

After awhile even those of us who respect your efforts, Become tired of the
same old ," I can whip your ass anyday of the week"  Line.

We know you can...

So politley do it, and let us know when you have.

NO Dennis you just don't get it. And IT has nothing to do with EV racing and
going fast.

Madman

 Date:  10/21/05 11:41:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich Rudman)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 That's funny Dennis I never said that.

 I just resent you tweaking your nose at us all.
 !!!!!!You have not agreed on the placement of my motor,or me using a full
cage,or having no sound system(I really do listen to just am talk radio)or the
lite weight seats ect.I should be able to have all this and still drive it on
the street complying with az.regulations.I thought the madman 100 club was for
street used vechs.
 You already have more cash and backing in that truck that anyone else in
 Nedra has this year.
!!!!!! Lets see Truck$200 Axel $900 Motor $100 + a lot of my own time
Wheels/tires$900 Hawkers$1700 Brake system $750 Steering $325 Suspension and
legal
cage$1000 Controller bowered from CE on non race days Charger same as used on
CE
ect.There is a limited $10000 budget(profit I made on the Ranger EV I sold
this year)Effective cost $0
 Ever feel you are bragging alone on a street corner????
 !!!!Many of the nedra folk including yourself have said the only reason CE
is quick is because its a lite dragster and for years have dared me to come and
play on your street corner well I am coming out to play with the S10.
 After awhile even those of us who respect your efforts, Become tired of the
 same old ," I can whip your ass anyday of the week"  Line.

!!! Put me up against a wall and yes I will fight.

In a message dated 10/22/05 1:11:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< "(Rich) will have a am
 > radio. "
 He must like listening to static :-).
 I may have missed it from a previous post, I would
 like to know some of the details like;
 Motor size (I think you said 13" with moveable brush
 rigging?).!!!!!!!A pinch larger
 - control (I think you said a Zilla 2k)     !!!!!!!! yes the 2k unless
miller gets involved
 - Batteries - quantity and max voltage !!!!!!!!!!!30 hawkers
 Thanks,
 R >>

Dennis,

I have these 2 big GE motors on the shelf from OJ-1. I've been thinking about stuffing them in a street legal bike chassis along with my old SVR's. If I can squeeze out 123 ( a very tall order considering my overall best is 119 ) am I eligible? It seems that I would be within the 3 rules. (Total Cost = ALOT of hrs + one old Z1 Kawasaki)

Shawn Lawless

I have recently been told that my S10 pickup will not qualify for the madman 100mph club SO..................... The 123 street E club is now open Thats 123 MPH in the
QT.MILE            With just 3
rules....................................................................

1) Insurance and license 2) off the shelf lead batteries
                                                       3) follow NHRA
guidelines

$1000 to the 1st EV there (myself excluded)Then a THEY JUST DONT GET IT TROPHY from there on.
               DENNIS BERUBE

In a message dated 10/22/05 2:59:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Dennis,

 I have these 2 big GE motors on the shelf from OJ-1. I've been thinking
 about stuffing them in a street legal bike chassis along with my old
 SVR's. If I can squeeze out 123 ( a very tall order considering my
 overall best is 119 ) am I eligible? It seems that I would be within
 the 3 rules. (Total Cost = ALOT of hrs + one old Z1 Kawasaki)

 Shawn Lawless

#####  add a couple training wheels  he he ha ha You need 4 tires on the
ground.

  Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:36:25 -0400 (EDT)
  From: David Russel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Subaru 360 VAN body--Free?

Here is one in California, just north of San Francisco that needs to get removed from the guy's property. it is listed for $50, but it sounds like who ever agrees to take it away can probably do so for free.

ALL of the available information is in the listing at http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/105320596.html

in case this posting should expire, here is the text, but not the pictures, from the ad.

Anyone Know what kind of van this is?? If you do you can have this, and fix it up. No title, or motor, or any parts... Just come and get it out of here. In north Petaluma..
Call Tony at 707-794-7258

Sincerely,
David

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
Take a look at the Getrag 431 transmission. It is an auto shifting manual
transmission (it actually should be powerful enough for the VW) It is used in
Smart cars, and Mitsubishi colts

http://www.en.getrag.de/184/184

It uses electric solenoids to shift and sends a CANBUS signal back to slow down
throttle during shift, as well as an electic based clutch.

Peter

I also have some interest in the clutchless set-up.  Below are my ideas.
First, is a description of how my 3 EVs worked.

#1 - 1970 Saab Sonett - Had a series wound motor directly coupled to 4 speed
standard transmission (clutch was removed).  I started in gear and shifted it
on the fly, relying on the syncros to let me shift gears.  I had no concern
about stalling the motor (since it was electric).  This seemed to work pretty
good, but it was hard on the transmission.  After a few years the transmission
was completely destroyed.  Also, I pulled A LOT of amps on startup.  The
performance was acceptable off the line and shifting on the fly.  So, I think
clutchless can be done.  I primarily started in 2nd and used 3rd for speed.
You
can't do this with a shunt wound motor because it doesn't have the startup
torque.

#2 - 1979 ETV-1 - chain drive - fixed gear ratio - no shifting at all.  Sep
Ex motor control.  This could be equivalent to locking the car in second gear
(as I have heard of people doing).  The downside is you need a very large motor
and a complex controller.  I am not certain, but I believe this car also had
some kind of automatic brake lock to keep it from rolling backward when going
from a dead stop.  This is one of the issues with clutchless - unless you
drive with two feet - as I did with my clutchless version.  See my comments on
car
#4 in development.

#3 - 1980 Jet 007 - stock 4 speed with series wound motor.  Always started
off in gear (2nd) and only used the clutch to shift from second to third.
Because of the limitations of the stock EV-1C controller (about 300 A), the
takeoff
was very slow, but 1st gear would spin the tires, so I stuck with 2nd.  The
fix for this would have been a larger controller.  You still need the clutch to
go from 2nd to 3rd and between 2nd and reverse.

#4 - in development - unknown - For my 4th car, I really didn't want a lot of
shifting.  I thought I may go with a set-up like the 007 (but stick with 2nd
gear below 50 mph) and a much larger motor and controller for start-up or use
a custom gearbox that automatically shifts - expensive.  What about a CVT
(Honda used those in the 97 Civic HX among others).  But, based on all of your
inputs, I have the following ideas:

- retain the clutch, but automatically control it with something like a wiper
motor (a very good idea - thanks) - below a certain RPM (controller output
voltage) the clutch is engaged.  Above that RPM (controller voltage), the
clutch
is let out.  Some fine tuning would need to be done to get the shifting
smooth enough.  In addition (as far as I know not previously discussed in the
most
recent thread), I want to do a brake lock based on the following criteria -
brake lock is applied (I would use the parking brake as the secondary brake
lock) if the driver presses the brake pedal and the car speed transitions from
some positive (or negative) speed to 0 MPH (+/- some tolerance).  The brake
lock
is released only if the driver presses the accelerator (using start switch)
and the RPMs transition from a low value to a value above the threshold of the
clutch engagement (actually tuned just slightly higher to slightly warm the
motor just before take-off (very slightly)).  This way, you won't roll backward
when starting from a dead stop.  Does anyone have a good way to monitor vehicle
speed for this control circuit?  Unfortunately, to shift from 2nd to 3rd, I
would need to let off the accelerator and let the RPMs go low enough to engage
the clutch.  That is an undesirable side effect.  Or, I could have a pressure
sensitive switch on the shifter to automatically engage the clutch if you grab
hold of it to shift.  Also, the clutch would need to be tied to a switch on
the brake pedal (so that in automatically engages whenever the brake is
depressed no matter what the motor speed is).  I like this as a safety feature.
 This
would work great with a shunt wound motor where the RPMs are controlled very
well by motor voltage, but may not work well with a series motor.

- Alternatively (this idea may not be too popular with those interested in
the best efficiency).  Use an automatic transmission, but lock it out so that
it
never shifts on its own.  You still use the shifter to manually shift between
1, 2, and 3.  You shift at the RPMs (motor parameters) that you want.  I know
this can be done because a friend of mine had a car (gas powered) like this
where he intentionally locked out the automatic part of the transmission so
that he was forced to shift his automatic manually.  The car was setup for
racing.  Yes this does maintain the torque converter, and it is inefficient
(why it
won't be too popular with some people).  But, it is better than using a
straight automatic transmission and letting it decide (based on the parameters
of
the original gas engine) where it wants to shift - most likely leaving you in
1st gear most of the time.  Another side effect of this is that you need to
"idle" the electric motor just before take off, so you need to watch those stop
lights carefully.  In my case, I'd probably just idle it all the time, because
the few minutes that I stop at that those 2 stop lights won't reduce my range
to an unacceptable level.  I only want a 15 - 20 mile range out of 14, T-105
like batteries.  So, I can afford to be a little inefficiency for the sake of
convenience.  It is all a matter of what the owner wants for his / her car.

- The other idea - mentioned above - is to track down one of those Honda CVTs
and try to adapt that.  Has anyone tried this?

I'm open to comments and suggestions.  I think this car will be a long time
in development, so I have plenty of time to refine the concept.  This
afternoon, I am going to the local junk yard to shop around for parts that I
will used
to build the drivetrain.  For those unaware of what I am doing, I am building
the drivetrain first (making sure it will actually fit in the car of my
choice), working out the bugs, and then when it is ready install the entire
system
in the car.  At the same time, I will work out the mechanical bugs in the gas
powered car (prior to the conversion) by driving it around and evaluating its
system as is.  My way of reducing risk and spreading out the cost over time.
Unfortunately, it takes a 6 month project and spreads it over several years.

Steve

There are some promising designs for both electric powered light
aircraft and electric sailplanes in development.

This is my favorite:
http://www.lange-flugzeugbau.com/english/menu/menu-akt.htm

A Lion powered 20 meter sailplane with a 56:1 glide ratio.  Has a 13
minute silent motor operation.  Even without the electric drive this is
one impressive machine.  My 20 meter, 1974 ASW-17, could only achieve a
48:1 glide ratio.

Better battery chemistry and lighter, more efficiently designed, general
aviation aircraft are the answer.  These will not come from Spam-can
Cessna but from innovative forward looking companies.

Noel (Sailplane pilot, Force owner and student)

Is anyone familiar with work being done regarding fuel efficiency
improvements of personal or business aircraft?  The incorporation of
solar electric or plug-in concepts within aviation is something that
I've been curious about for a long time and I'm very interested to chat
with people who are involved in this area.  If anyone can advise about
resources related to alternative fuels for aviation, I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brad

This should help energy consumption in EV Headlights.  I hope.

From:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20051021/sc_space/accidentalinventionpointstoendoflightbulbs

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
I haven't worked on an 87 in so long I'm not sure my memory is correct
but...  Most Flukes have a symmetry calibration adjustment.  This
adjustment causes the meter to read exactly the same on both
polarities.  That might be a problem but probably not.

More likely, what you're seeing is the effect of ripple on the meter's
A/D converter.  Feed the meter through an RC network (say, 4.7k, 10uF)
and see what happens.  The cap will filter the ripple and you should
get a constant reading each way.  If not, then the symmetry adjustment
may need tweaking.

John

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:30:13 -0700 (PDT), TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>While my charger is down for repairs I'm using my 12V
>charger to charge my batteries in pairs. This is
>taking quite a bit longer than I expected it to, but I
>don't have a choice right now. Anyway, I'm using a DMM
>to monitor the charging process. I moved the charger
>to the next pair and I put the meter leads across the
>battery. I inadvertently reversed the probes and I got
>a reading of -14.7V. This was higher than I expected,
>I switched the leads around and got a reading of
>12.5V. This was closer to what I expected to see. This
>was before I turned on the charger. I went to a pair
>that I had already charged and got the same difference
>when I switched polarity on the meter. What would
>cause this? I'm using a calibrated Fluke 87-III that I
>borrowed from work, it's no $10 Harbor Freight meter.
>Any thoughts?
>
>TiM

>Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
>http://farechase.yahoo.com

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com