  1) Re: Ka Bamm!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Columbia Par Car/Sep-ex vs. series
  3) Re: Where to buy GC batteries in Compton Ca.
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Ka Bamm!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Including aux battery in chargeing string
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Zombie Data
        by "Rodney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: No Trasmission?
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: No Trasmission?
        by "Rodney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Where to buy GC batteries in Compton Ca.
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Including aux battery in chargeing string
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Including aux battery in chargeing string
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Ka Bamm!
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by Chris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Honda FCX goes for a test drive
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Honda FCX goes for a test drive
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by Chris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: It's an Electric Thing, you wouldn't understand....
        by "Mueller, Craig M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by Chris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Honda FCX goes for a test drive
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Honda FCX goes for a test drive
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Geo Metro series hybrid/solar project
        by Chris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Honda FCX goes for a test drive
        by "gail donaldson lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Low HP brushless motors
        by Marc Breitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Low HP brushless motors
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) 98 Solectria Force Electric Vehicle runs good Roch N.Y. Item number:
458704554
Hey Jeff

Contact me off list so I can quote you a rewind price.  I'd wind that alot
cheaper than a new motor and about 1/2 the cost of a new armature, which I can
get if you prefer.  And I have good rates through trucking outfits.
Hope this helps

Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My warp 9 just exploded the comm. totally obliterated. :-(

This is over rpm damage the potbox stuck a little during the shift but
that was enough. I was warned to put a better spring on it, I was warned
to put a speed sensor on it and I was gonna get to it. That last 7
batteries upping the voltage to 288 from 204 didn't help.

I walked back and pick up a few of the comm bars from the street and
they are absolutly pathetic!

Am I wrong to ask who in their right mind would span an inch with 3/16
cross section copper?

It will be a bit before I can pull it out but I wanted to ask what is
the best thing to do to fix this.

I will put a speed sensor on it this time but is there a better comm
for it?

--- Begin Message --- Parcar had a plus 100 mile range golfcart using ETEK's Now they switched to sep-ex. What are the advantages of these systems? I've seen some Sep-ex controllers on Ebay. What kind of motor do you need to go with that system? Below an article on the Parcar trip from Phoenix to Prescott. 100 miles.

Columbia ParCar recently drove a couple of electric vehicles on an old
stagecoach road from Prescott To Phoenix, AZ. They made the journey to raise
funds for a local children's hospital, and also to increase awareness for
alternatively fueled vehicles.

From:
http://www.parcar.com/az.htm

Columbia Proves its Pioneering Capability in the Electric Vehicle Market!

The sun was still blazing this past October 15th when two Columbia vehicles,
with solar-assist arrived in Phoenix, AZ October. The 100 mile journey began
earlier that morning just outside the courthouse in Prescott, AZ.

Determined to prove the veracity of its cutting edge power system, Columbia
selected its ScoutT and ShuttleT models with standard power systems which
were augmented by solar panels and additional battery capacity. At the
conclusion of the event there was still plenty of energy to spare. Kellen
Chicoine, Columbia's Engineering Manager, responsible for technological
advances, reported that, "even without range-enhancing equipment, each
vehicle could have easily completed at least 60 of those miles. This is
especially significant because the route included numerous encounters with
substantial grades and uneven surfaces."

The "Spirit of Prescott," a historic stagecoach trail from Prescott to
Phoenix served as a fitting challenge for the event. Columbia has long been
considered a Pioneer in electric vehicle technology, constantly striving to
increase range and efficiency. A recent switch of its entire electric
product line from traditional series powered motors to separately motors
serves as a perfect example of Columbia's desire to lead the way in the
industries they serve.

Arizona Ranch and Resort Cars, Columbia's Authorized Dealer in Prescott, is,
itself a Pioneer. While solar power is not new, its unique integration in
low speed vehicles is. Arizona Ranch and Resort Cars, has developed
techniques for connecting solar panels to Columbia's power system to charge
the vehicles even as they are in motion. Many customers have already
purchased solar powered vehicles from Arizona Ranch and Resort Cars and are
using them to great success.

In addition to the technological significance of the event, the Phoenix
Children's Hospital will benefit from dollars pledged for each mile reached,
as well as numerous donations. Ms. Lisa Glow, Director of the Governor's
Napolitano's Office of Children, as well as a representative from the
Phoenix Children's Hospital were present at the finish line to accept the
donations presented to them by Tom Lederle.

For Columbia vehicle pricing information or the location of your nearest
Columbia Dealer, you may visit
http://www.parcar.com or contact Columbia ParCar Corp. by phone at (800)
222-4653 or e-mail:
info@ parcar.com

For more information on solar powered Columbia vehicles,
please visit http://www.solarfreedom.com
tomlederle@ att.net or
contact Tom Lederle of
Arizona Ranch & Resort Cars
6616 E. 2nd Street, Suite D
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
928-775-8178

Greg Breckley
Marketing Manager
Columbia Parcar Corp.
608-524-8888 x.6250
gbreckley@ parcar.com

Columbia® ParCar® Corp.
1115 Commercial Ave.
Reedsburg, WI 53959 USA
800-222-4653
608-524-8888 Fax 608-524-8380

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
Howdy, I was curious what your cost per mile is replacing the batts every
10k miles + electricity in wHrs per mile?
Thanks, Mark
On 2005-11-03, Chris Martens wrote:

> Now I'm
> thinking I could mate them by slipping a pipe around both shafts,
> then drilling holes through each and fixing them with a couple of bolts.

A bolt is not a key, nor is it a uni joint.  It'll shear off,
sooner or later, and it'll make a huge mess when it does.

Cheaper to do it properly in the first place.

-----sharks
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey/>
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:36:24PM +0000, damon henry wrote:
> OOPs I meant by a factor of 10 or 1 Billion dollars...

You can save a bundle if you don't lobby against your car while you are
building it ;)

> >It's not hard to imagine, times that by 10 and you can invent an EV1 :-)
> >
> >>Wow - imagine what $1M would get you with advanced batteries and
> >>charging technology :-)

Yeah, but I suppose my only alternative would be a trip to the local machine
shop...

Chris

--- Nick 'Sharkey' Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2005-11-03, Chris Martens wrote:
> >
> > Now I'm
> > thinking I could mate them by slipping a pipe around both shafts,
> > then drilling holes through each and fixing them with a couple of bolts.
>
> A bolt is not a key, nor is it a uni joint.  It'll shear off,
> sooner or later, and it'll make a huge mess when it does.

We have two of the fuel cell vehicles in Las Vegas.  I have talked with Dan
Hyde about them.  He has driven them and likes them, says they have good
acceleration and speed.  Cost is the biggest drawback, but they have come
down a lot since the first models, and if mass produced should get to a
reasonable price.  Don't forget that these are EVs, with fuel cells instead
of batteries.  When the fuel cells become available at a lower cost we
should be able to pop them into our cars in place of the batteries and have
the range everyone is waiting for.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-gov/2005/jan/20/518155726.html

Gail

Doug,
I don't have alot of time to do research on the site right now, but ill let
you know what exactly i am looking for. I need a brushless motor which is
more efficient then the etek B&S motor, it has to handle two optima
batteries in series plus solar panels (about 1200 watts cont) and most be
able to handle the surge which could be up to 2000 or more im guessing by
looking at the CCA capacity of the red top optimas.
I DON'T want something that can handle much much more then that (anything
above 10hp) since i won't be able to output it and it will simply be an
inefficency.

What i want to know....
Options for speed controller, can i use the alltrax? or do i have to buy a
new one. Is it programable? How much?
Price range on the motor.
RPM efficency graph at 24v. I know that the B&S engine is very efficient at
36 and 48v (curve stops at 4000 rpm) however at 24v eff curve stops at
1600rpm.

~Marc

IIRC you get about 72rpms per volt on the etek.. Which means it would max out
rpms at around 1600.

Marc Breitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:<snip>
RPM efficency graph at 24v. I know that the B&S engine is very efficient at
36 and 48v (curve stops at 4000 rpm) however at 24v eff curve stops at
1600rpm.

~Marc

I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see the above vehicle on e-bay.  I
am in the planning stages of building my 4th EV right now, and strongly
considered just buying this one instead of converting one for myself.  After a
lot
of thought, I have to pass on it today.  Maybe a few years from now, when the
price is a little lower and I have a little more saved, I can make it happen,
but not today.  So, I will continue to plan, possibly for the next 1.5 - 2
years.  In the meantime, I am reading and re-reading about every EV book
written
and doing a lot of thinking and reflecting back to all my experiences with my
other three EVs.

This did raise many questions in my mind, so I am curious if people on the
list who have these vehicles can comment.  I am considering one of these "post
factory converted" cars vs a conversion of lets say a 2001 Geo Metro with 144 V
system, running a 9.1" ADC motor.  Which is better, and why?

1. I am concerned about serviceability.  The AC drive system is complex.  If
it breaks, where will I turn for parts / service?

2. I believe the Solectra has a lot more customizations that say the typical
converted 2001 Geo Metro with a DC system.  Again, for those people who have
these cars, who works on them (besides you).

3. I prefer the "automatic transmission" (actually direct drive), but if the
other car only uses 2nd around town and 3rd at highway speed, that wouldn't be
that big of a deal to me.  Also, several of the conversions (Cloud EV) for
example are clutchless.  If you are using a 9.1" motor, do you really need the
clutch?

4. Charging.  The Solectra seems like it has a much better charger than what
I have seen in typical conversions.  Maybe one can buy such a charger, but I
haven't really looked.  I am only familiar with my own cars and my own
experience.

5. Cost.  OK here is where I probably will differ from others opinions on the
list.  I think one of these Solectras can be bought for $6500 - $7500 with a
pretty much dead battery pack, maybe not today, but if I hunt around for the
next 2 years, I bet I'll find one at that price.  I'd prefer the dead pack, so
that when I replace it at least I know it is new as opposed to someone's 2 - 3
year old pack that they claim is in good shape.  Pretty much if I buy a used
EV, I want the pack nearly dead for that reason.  Factor out the battery cost,
and another year or two of wear and tear, and I think my price is pretty
reasonable.  For the conversion, if I do all the work and really scavenge for
the
parts, I think I can create a 2001 Geo Metro with 9.1" ADC motor and 144 V
system for around $5000 + the donor car.  Some may disagree, so I'd like to
hear
your thoughts.  If I plan well and do "ALL" the work myself, I think it can be
done.  That means, I would only buy the motor and possibly controller off the
shelf (used hopefully).  I would build the mounting plate and coupler,
battery boxes, all instrumentation, and charging system.  By the way, I really
like
individual chargers for each battery.  I feel like it keeps them better
charged and prevents over / undercharging better.  That is just my opinion, and
I am
sure others disagree.

6. The big deal is performance and range.  That is the real hook for me.  How
would the performance of this solectra compare to the IEC version, and the
version with the 9.1" ADC driven at 144 V?  I am thinking of both acceleration,
top speed, and range.  If I go for one of these cars vs my $2500 - $3000
budget conversion / rebuild of another old Jet Electra, it has to be usable as
primary means of transportation.  I need a real range of 45 - 50 miles that I
can count on.  I'd prefer closer to 60 miles.  I know it is wishful thinking,
but that is what I would need for a vehicle in that price range (as opposed to
car to drive only 10 - 15 miles a day tops).  Big difference.

7. Effect on battery life.  Is the AC system inherently "easier" on the
batteries than the DC system, or is it the other way around, or no difference.

I hope this message stirs some good discussion about these cars vs typical
conversions, AC and DC, serviceability, cost, and performance.  I also hope
someone buys this car and puts is to good use.  My old Jet had 25,000 miles on
it
when I sold it.  In the future, I'd like a car that I can put that kind of
mileage on and enjoy trouble free for many years (of course with battery pack
replacements).

Steve