  1) Re: Thermal measurements
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Thermal measurements
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Orb Carnage....
        by DM3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: how to : determine weight from photo .. weight of images for  3 square
yards ( 9 square feet) .. and car cutout .. same ratio as AREA's ratio
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Prius plug in over in England
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) DC-AC Upgrade Solarvan Website Updated.
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Thermal measurements
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: TS Internal Resistance Testing
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: DC safety circuit
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: how to : determine weight from photo
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Misbehaving Variac
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Misbehaving Variac
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Misbehaving Variac
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Thermal measurements
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Porsche 911 Was: How many amps driving my EV?
 18) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) 300zx for sale
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Greetings)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
James,

Good point. I should have said cannot be lengthened easily. Ordering
TC wire just is not as cheap and easy as I need it to be for testing.
In fact you reminded me that I had a tumbleweed of TC's that I don't
know what I did with. Hmmm.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 02:14 AM 10/04/06 +0000, Mike wrote:
> ><snip>I'll see if
> >mine can measure temperatures as well. Do you remember how long the
> >temp probe cable was? Mine would have to route something like 10 feet
> >or more to reach a battery. If it's a solid state device, the wires
> >could be lengthened. If it's a thermocouple, then it can't.
>
> G'day Mike, and all
>
> This is probably just a mis-use of terminology (you probably know
what you
> mean), but a thermocouple can be lengthened, no problem, as it is
made from
> wire. You just need to use thermocouple wire to do it with. Other
types of
> electronic-signal sensor usually can be lengthened with ordinary copper
> wire (I can't actually think of any that can't).
>
> Since you're talking about an electronic meter the sensor will not be a
> capillary tube - which are the type you can't lengthen as they are a
sealed
> system.
>
> Regards
>
> James

Excellent! So that implies it's a solid state part of sorts. Have you
compared it to a reliable source?

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> The Link-10 wire length in my EV is a 25 foot of double shield No.
16 gage 5
> pair (10 wires) stranded wire that each wire has a aluminum tape
shield and
> than a over all expanded aluminum shield under a plastic cable jacket.
> This wire is design-for the Link-10 where each pair that twisted one
turn
> per foot through out its length.
>
> My total length from the E-meter to a setscrew terminal block that
is in the
> equipment compartment next to the battery charger is 25 feet.   The
sensor
> unit which I pick up from EV Parts has a 6 foot length of two wires
that is
> also jacket.  This makes a total length of 30 feet for me.
>
> Roland

Inside my
> > > garage the on wall temperature is 65 degrees F.  I turn off the
heating
> > > system for the winter, but I have a super high R-factor insulation
> > that is
> > > 80 R's for the wall and 140 R's ceiling and a garage door of 20 R's,
> > so it
> > > maintains this temperature for a long time and even into the summer.
> > >
> > > The battery pack is also in a super insulated battery box, so even
> > after
> > > driving the EV, it will hold the battery temperature range from 62
> > to 65
> > > degrees.
> > >
> > > This morning when, the battery temperature was at 17 degrees C. or
> > 62.6 F.
> > > Driving for one mile at 50 battery amp, the temperature rose to 18
> > degrees
> > > C. or 64.4 F.  After letting the EV set one hour in a outside
ambient
> > > temperature of 40 F. the Link 10 still had a read out of 18 C.  It
> > may be
> > > between 17.5 and 18 C.
> > >
> > > This is with a 260 AH battery pack that weighs more than a ton.  A
> > smaller
> > > pack at a lower AH will increase in temperature faster and lose the
> > > temperature quicker.
> > >
> > > Driving home for another mile at 50 battery amp the battery
temperature
> > > still read 18 C.  Letting the EV set for 20 hours, the temperature
> > will be
> > > down in the 17 C. range or about 62+ F.
> > >
> > > If you battery pack is un-insulated, then the battery post will be
> > the same
> > > temperature as the ambient air very quickly.
> > >
> > > To read the temperature on a Link-10, press F3 for a read out.
> > >
> > > Before I had a Link-10, I used a small battery operate temperature
> > gage made
> > > by ACURITE which you can get from WalMart.  It has a 10 foot
cable and
> > > sensor, normally for reading outside temperature from inside you
> > house.  I
> > > used many of these sensors, when I was building my high R-Factor
> > house, for
> > > testing the floor to ceiling and inside wall to outside ambient
> > temperature.
> > >
> > > I normally keep my battery pack in about the 65 degree range all
winter
> > > long. In summer, the battery back temperature is between 70 and 75
> > F.  I do
> > > not drive that far, so I do not have to squeeze every AH out it.
 I get
> > > about 2000 cycles out of my batteries, because I at 80% capacity
> > about 95%
> > > of the time.  For me this is about 100 cycles per year or would be
> > 20 years.
> > > I normally get 10 to 12 years out of a battery pack.
> > >
> > > Roland

Seppo,
I guess this is as good a time as any to reveal an old (formerly secret)
strategy, I have been using diodes in this manner since 1993.  Back when I
started racing in the Solar Electric 500 in Phoenix one of my first
concerns was to finish every race I started.  Most of the races from 1993
thru 1999 were for 45 miles!  I think only one race was 25 miles.  These
races were quite a challenge and the strategy was to run out of energy
just as you crossed the finish line at mile 45.
As we all know one dead battery can bring down the string in just a few
minutes, so I wanted to switch out or bypass each battery as it died -
thereby prolonging the use of energy from the "good" batteries.  I soon
found out from a good power supply designer (Jerry T.) I could do this
with a bypass diode.

At the end of some of the races my pack would die about one or two laps
before the lead car passed the finish line.  The diodes would bypass the
dead batteries and I was able to limp over the finish line with a pack
voltage of around 40 volts, as a result no DNFs! The first year I was the
only one using diodes and by the end of the 90s there were about 4 teams,
we all kept it secret and never discussed it.  It was known to spy on each
other for these tricks and larger teams had individuals that did only
that.  Trying to keep your advantage is one of the things that makes
racing fun.

Us independants were racing against cars built by power companies like APS
and SRP, these cars cost from several hundred thousand to 1 million
dollars, their cars in the open wheel division (where I raced the
voltbuggy) swapped battery packs every 2 or 3 laps.

Every year I would have people come up after the race asking what kind of
batteries I used because the car never completely died.  The surprise is
that as the (Trojan T125) batteries die, the first batteries bounce back
and it seems to limp for a long time.  Of course, I know some of you are
gasping or imaginining how the batteries are dead meat at this point but I
charge the batteries immidiately after one of these discarges.  I used my
first pack for 6 years befor selling them (load tested GOOD)in useable
condition.

I use the Magnificent INTERNATIONAL RECTIFIER DIODE PN 409CNQ150. These
are 150 volt, 400 amp schottky diodes.  Only one out of 50 has failed in
13 years! The Voltbuggy was the first vehicle I implemented them, you can
see them in Episode 12 of "Cool Fuel Roadtrip" as the camera quickly pans
the battery pack.

I use no heatsink except the battery post and strapped terminals 1 and 2
together with a homemade cable end.  I think this beats the clap trap of
relays monitors or switches I originally imagined hooking up before using
these diodes.

I also implemented some TO220 schottkys on my sons RC car.  When he raced
and his pack died, he always had enough energy to limp at least 1 or 2
more laps while the other cars stopped dead in thier tracks.

I am sure there are some disadvantages but there is nothing worse than a
stone dead string.
Going for one more lap,
Jimmy

PS: I think it also helps avoid battery post meltdown but can't prove it.

http://www.dm3electrics.com/

> Seppo wrote:
> > What would happen if you simply connected a (very sturdy) diode in
> > parallel with each battery? If the battery cannot keep in pace with
> > the others and starts to go negative, the diode would start
> > conducting the load current past the battery when the battery voltage
> > is down to -0.7 V.

hello neon john

absolutely right on every count ..

we are not teaching that way anymore .. bad .. but fact

about 'scanning' your thousands of book .. don't

it is a very painful and slow process

we now use high re digital cameras to take images

once setup .. you can do several books a day

if you get two digital cameras .. well the time becomes half

three doesn't make a big difference .. time becomes only one third

get your girlfriend, wife, daughter to help (sons never help dads )

..peekay

(make dvd's .. maybe you can even sell them to friends .. on
 cost sharing plus something to cover the effort)