  1) Re: Corporate and retail charging installations.Comments
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) MG Premiere Party Report
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: the $5000 car - could use some expert help
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: NiCad questions, tools and stuff...
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) List of donor cars for vac pump
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) RE: OT was: 300zx for sale
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Coast--down method for aero drag
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Monster Garage
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: MG Premiere Party Report
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Hybridize-yourself? Hondas and Plugs?
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Prius Classic pack burn out.
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Hybrid Technologies LiX-75, Lithium based $125,000 supercar, 200mph
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Plug-in Prius question, some answers
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Nicads tools and stuff...
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Hybrid Technologies LiX-75, Lithium based $125,000 supercar, 200mph
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Monster Garage
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: NiCad questions, tools and stuff...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Mazda conversion advice
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Monster Garage
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 17:42:09 -0700, "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>These digital meters.. do have a peak Kw drawn display.. mine says 41Kw and
>change.... I wonder what happens when It says 50 to 75 and change???

Is this a meter you own that you read to pay your landlord or a
utility meter?

If it's a utility meter then they may or may not read it, depending on
what schedule your landlord is on.  Many utilities standardize on one
type of meter for all schedules and simply ignore the data that does
not apply.  IOW, that meter may have a demand register only because
that's the standard meter for 3 phase service for that utility.

>So.. not much penatly in using a LOT Of kwhr... potentail slam up side the
>head if a peak Kw rate is exceded.

Yup, supplying widely varying and short term peaks costs a lot of
money.  The distribution gear (everything from the meter base to the
substation) has to be sized for peak loading.  Transformer losses are
a constant percentage of the transformer size so a large transformer
feeding a small load has proportionally higher non-revenue losses.

Plus the utility has to have sufficient rotating reserves (generators
synced but lightly loaded) to pick up those surges because the base
load plants (nukes, coal, large NG and oil plants) can't change output
fast enough.  The ideal load from their perspective is one constant
demand 24/7.

>Dumping a pack into the grid while doing a masisive draw... sounds like
>trouble... until you get it right.

This is pretty easy to do if you have room for the hardware.  What you
need is a 3 phase induction motor connected to an appropriately sized
DC shunt motor.  The DC motor should be sized to load your charger
under test.  The AC motor (which will also function as an induction
generator) should be sized to load the DC motor.  You'll also need a
source of variable DC to drive the DC motor's field (a small
industrial DC controller will work) and misc contactors.  100hp motors
ought to handle what you're working on now plus some.

Here's how this will work.  Mechanically connect the two motors
together.  Connect your charger to the DC motor's armature.  Connect
the DC motor's field to the controller.  Connect the AC motor to the 3
phase line through a suitable motor starter.

To use this thing, start the AC motor by closing the motor starter.
Turn on the charger but don't connect it to the DC motor yet.  Set it
to the desired test voltage.

Apply field to the DC motor until it is generating the same voltage
and polarity as the charger.  Close the DC breaker.  Now reduce the
voltage on the field until the DC motor draws the desired current from
the charger.  There ya go.

What is happening is this.  When the DC breaker is closed and the
field is reduced, the DC motor tries to drive the AC motor faster than
its operating speed.  This causes the AC motor to become an induction
generator and feed power out its terminals.

This power, of course, flows to whatever power supply is supplying the
charger's power.  We have an "almost perpetual motion machine".  The
generated power is always less than the power drawn by the DC power
supply (if you're using one) and the charger because of the losses in
the system.  The AC line only has to supply power to make up for the
losses, probably under 10% of the circulating power.

Unless you're going to stand there and watch the meters, you're going
to need some protective instrumentation, of course.  Trips to shut
down the motors on loss of field, overheat and so on.  Being as this
uses a shunt motor, there isn't any chance of it running away if the
coupling breaks like a series motor can.  The worst fault will be loss
of field which will try to make the motor run away while drawing
infinite current as far as the charger-under-test is concerned.

At least in these parts, 100 hp class motors that have been
surplused/salvaged aren't hard to find.  There are still a lot of old
relatively low efficiency motors out there that are being replaced.
Seems like there are always a few sitting out for the scrap metal man
at my friendly local motor repairman's shop.

A 50 horse DC motor with plenty of forced cooling air would probably
do the job.  These motors are so under-rated for long life that you
can run 'em hard and put 'em up wet, so to speak :-)  One of my
clients is running a 600 VDC 50hp motor at about 80hp average on a
large punch press and the only change was adding two cooling blowers.
These are blowers that bolt on in place of the brush inspection covers
and blow high velocity air through the inside of the motor.
Off-the-shelf kits.

I concurred with this decision (lots cheaper than buying a larger
motor!) and did an infrared temperature study of the unit for awhile
to confirm our estimation.

For the DC motor, you'd want to look at the nameplate armature amps
and select one with the size appropriate to your charger's output.
With forced air cooling, the motor can safely absorb a multiple of
that amp rating even at low voltage.  A high voltage motor can be made
to absorb its rated amps and beyond simply by turning the field down.
I'd probably try to find a motor with a nameplate rating of about 75%
of the max amps you anticipate producing.  You can go larger but it'll
weigh more and take up more space.

Even at your low total energy usage, such a setup would pay for itself
in a couple of years if you can get the motors for scrap value.  You
could run the charger longer and at higher outputs if you desire and
you won't be heating up the building in the summer or tickling that
demand register.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

A good time was had by all.

The Madman was definitely in his element, as the star of the show. (at least in our group he was
:^D )

Ken Trough drove down from Bellingham.
(and did an audio interview with Rich after the show which I expect will be available @ visforvoltage.com soon)

Roderick Wilde _actually left his home_ in Port Townsend and came to Seattle. A rare event in itself.

Many of the SEVA regulars showed up, including Don Crabtree and Dave Cloud.

Steve Lough (our resident EVangelist and SEVA President) rode his escooter right into the place with a large "SEVA" sign to put up.

We essentially took over the small bar, and during the show, the entire place became quiet and everyone seemed to be devoting their full attention to the show.

It helped that we had Rich there in full animation mode. The locals were certainly doing a double-take between the TV screen and Rich.

Special thanks to Dave Barden for his efforts in nailing down the venue and getting them to accommodate us, (and for bringing his Honda 600 sedan EV converted into a mini-pickup, always a crowd pleaser)

Also thanks to Shawn Lawless for kicking down some of the major components needed to make the build a reality (two Zilla 2Ks and in particular those two hard-to-come-by GE motors). Some might say that those were well-spent advertising dollars.

IIRC, they said that total cash outlay for the build was around $7K, kick-downs were in the $85K range. (This includes the Milwaukee Tool Co. V-28 batteries and chargers and all the give-aways to the build team)

Roy LeMeur  Olympia, WA

My EV and RE Project Pages-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

timm is right .. petrol produced pollution that is
invisible .. carbon monoxide .. deadly .. sulphur
and lead oxides .. deadly .. we can't see them'
with eyes .. but city folks suffer from blood
problems

diesel engines have sound and smoke .. soot,
or carbon particles .. those are visible .. and
so look very polluting .. but actually they
pollute a lot less

..peeaky

From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:37:53 -0400
Subject: Re: NiCad questions, tools and stuff...

On 10 Apr 2006 at 20:22, Richard Acuti wrote:

1. What do you all typically use to insulate your tools for working around
high
voltage?

Good quality 3M electrical tape.  Others probably have better ideas.  You
might try large-diameter heatshrink tubing.

a) What are NiCad's flooded with? I don't imagine you add water as with PbA
batteries.

The electrolyte is a solution of Potassium Hydoxide.  When it's low, you add
distilled water, just as with a lead battery.  You should maintain
completely separate watering tools for lead and nicad, as any acid
contamination will ruin the nicads.

  b)  What is the expected life span of a NiCad pack?

It depends on how it's used, but typically 2-4 times the life of an
equivalent lead battery.  Some nicads have served for 10 - 15 years, even
more.

c) Will my old Lestermatic PbA battery charger work with NiCads? (220v 40
amp charger)

It would require modification.  The charge control algorithm is wrong for
nicads.

d) My (imperfect) understanding is that the NiCads will deliver the rated current right up until they are completely discharged unlike PbA's which drop
in output even before the rated time (Puerket's Effect?) Am I understanding
this correctly?

Nicads' voltage doesn't fall off very much until they are almost completely
discharged.  Then it plummets.  This is both good and bad.  ;-)

Peukert's effect refers to how current drawn affects the apparent capacity
of lead batteries.  It says nothing about their voltage on discharge.  It
also doesn't apply to nicads.

e) What effect does cold weather have on NiCad's vs. PbA batteries? Does the
range still decrease? How much?

Nicads have appreciably less capacity diminution with cold weather.
However, most nicads are more sensitive to damage when operated in very hot
climates, as are NiMH.  This makes them most suited to use in cooler
climates.

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Big deal, just another kit car with a motor.

Now how about this:
http://caveviews.blogs.com/cave_news/2004/12/eliica_8_wheel_.html

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev