  1) Re: determining what motor type I've got
        by Darin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: New batteries
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Low battery voltage limit and signage
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery patent rights
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: regulation current was:Some problems to solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Arctic Leash
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: mini-cars are available
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Spring spacers from JEEP fit 300zx
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Low battery voltage limit and signage
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Earth Day, Ampabout, Radio an' Stuff.
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Thin wires as fuses? (was: Battery connections assistance sought)
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Off-the-shelf LED bar graph voltmeters available? (was: Off-the-shelf
multiple battery voltage display sought)
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Thin wires as fuses? (was: Battery connections assistance sought)
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Off-the-shelf LED bar graph voltmeters available? (was:
  Off-the-shelf
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
hi Jim -

thanks for the response.

next time i go visit the motor i'll try to get a look at the wire leading to the field terminal and see what's in there. (the motor & electronics are over at a friend's place patiently awaiting the "electric" portion of the project - we're still on the ICE/mechanical steps with the suzukiclone host car(s) right now).

thanks again!

- Darin

Jim Husted wrote:

Hey Darin, all
An easy way to tell if it's a sep-ex is to look at the wire the field coils are made from. These can be seen by looking where they connect to the terminals. If it's a flat wire and usually pretty beefy then it's a series wound (est. 7 to 16 turns). If the wire is smaller round wire (pencil lead sized) then it's probably a sep-ex est(60 to 100 turns). If a motor hase both a thick and a thin wired windings then it's a compound (look for both thick and thin wire at connection points) If two coils are thick and two are really thin wires (est. hundreds of turns) then it's a shunted motor. They use shunted motors more for the pump motors over the drive motors but I've seen shunted drives before. Marko uses a 36/48 volt OEM rated 7" shunted Prestolite pump motor in his Fiat and admits it gets hot but then again he's been using it for over 7 years so it ain't that hot, hehehe! If you can grab a few pics and send them to me I may recognize the motor and if you can aim for the inside teminal connection 8^ ) I might be able to see the coil wire.
  Hope this helps