  1) Re: MOSFETs vs. IGBTs
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 200 miles highway range on flooded lead acid: Is it possible?
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) A bad week for EVs (was: Re: Ampabout, Joliet Version)
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Ampabout, Joliet Version
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Edison batteries
  7) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) 5th EVer Chapter Conference Photos
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Valence
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: G'bye Porsche...
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: G'bye Porsche...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Aerodynamics .. viktor's idea .. to reduce 'drag' to near zero
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Edison batts
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: MOSFETs vs. IGBTs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Taperlock dilemma
IGBTs switching losses produce more heat. They need to dissipate more heat
to pass the same amount of current at the same frequency and duty cycle.

IGBTs do not share current as well as MOSFETs. The IGBTs need to be derated
more to compensate for the imbalance.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   OK MY turn! I figgured that I would just drag my E brake and wheelslip a
bit before my clutch would let go. But in second gear, revving the motor up
with the T Wrecks, dumping the clutch, it broke loose into a 500 amp plus
wheelslip! Tires spun, and SPUN! Gees a 3 million lb Floody powered non
racing setup, doing the smookiest burnout I have EVer gotten!Turning the
steering wheel right an' left got BOTH tires smoking. As they sang and
ground along filling the cabin with smoke I could see 350 amps with a 15
volt sag on the 120 volt system, about what it takes to go about 85 mph in
5th! I was sorta waiting for SOMETHING to open up in a blinging flash? Take
yur pick, battery terminals, fuze, motor flashover/ Or just killing the
controller.
>    Bob

Geez, Bob. Here it was midnight as I was reading your tale... and had
reached this point. Here I am, expecting your controller to blow, when
there's an explosion in the house... like a Cherry bomb, or a 38 blank,
going off in the house. (How'd you plan timing like that?)

No big deal, just an exploding tire in the entryway... but so perfectly
timed that now, half an hour later, my heart is coming back down and the
dogs are finally calmed down. (They expect this sort of thing, I guess...
but they are at my feet, instead of in the other room.)

A few years ago, Bikerev built me a custom battery trailer for one of my
toys... the e-bike. It's been sitting for a while and I need a couple of the
Hawkers for my e-mower. I aired up the tires, pulled it out to an outlet and
threw on the 48V charger. I got to this part of your story, and Blam! The
dogs, asleep in the next room, go running, looking guilty, and my heart is
racing. My first thought was I'd fried/blown a batt, but they aren't even
warm after an hour. I looked around to see if maybe a sheet of something
fell to the floor, but the remodel is past having sheets of subflooring in
the house. It turns out one of the tubes on the trailer blew so hard it knoc
ked the tire off the rim. I'd have not thought 45 lbs could make that much
noise on a 16" bike tire.

What a heart stopping coincidence. It certainly made your tale a whole lot
more interesting and personal. <g> BTW, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of
your car. It's good in a way, I guess... now you get to build your Jetta,
eh? Those same roads nearly took out my new car, in the same way, when I was
moving west. Fortunately, a trucker warned me in time. My tow hitch was
broken on one side and when I touched it, it fell off... so I can sorta
relate.