        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Mk3 Regs
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Corbin Gentry electric bike
  6) Gadget's Triumph
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Newbies at 5thEVer 2006
        by "Kevin Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Performance of my EV
        by "Tom Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: How Hot Does a Terminal Get?
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Corbin Gentry electric bike
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) humidity vs resistance?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) '81 Jet Electrica & PFC-30 for Sale on eBay
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: AC vs. DC - hopefully ending (for now...)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Fungus Amongus in Battery H2o
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Charger Efficiency
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Kelvin resistance measurement (was: How Hot Does a Terminal
  Get?)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Gadget's Triumph
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: How Hot Does a Terminal Get? Comments, in short ,it Doesn't!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I was looking at Steve Clunn's web site and see that he has a link to gas
prices
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp

I use diesel and see that the west coast Spot Price FOB price on 5/5/06 was
$248.10, and on 5/26//06 was $236.20.

Yet 3 weeks ago the price at the pump, here in Tucson, was $2.98 and now it is
$3.01 per gallon. The 'wholesale' price goes down, and the pump price stays
up...

Just another indication of the price gouging, in my opinion, that is going on.

I need to finish my EV!

Rush
Tucson AZ
www.ironandwood.org

<<< http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/166732661.html Possible conversion
candidate or restoration.
Lawrence Rhodes >>>

Man, that thing is so pink, it even comes with a little girl!

>     The thing is that Otmar's loveseat can also go 6 mph. You can creep
> around through crowds at a walking speed, but you can also open it
> up, do a nice wheelie, and have some fun! You can even rotate in place
> quickly enough to shed any extra or unwelcome guests right out of their seats.

Got a chance to ride on the armrest (Ot was flanked by chicks) - it had more
shabby chic than these flashy-but-slow couches on eBay!

Rich,

Can you provide more detailed specs WRT to the Mk3 regs?

1) How accurate are the voltage measurements? I see you're using the Atmega88. Assuming you're running the chip @5V. Without some sort of voltage subtracter circuit, scaling the 18V (max working V) to 5V using a simple voltage divider, combined with the 10-bit resolution of the onboard A/D, gives you 17.5 mV per LSB, not accounting for divider inaccuracies, and reference voltage (assumedly vcc) fluctuations. I'm sure the primary function (bypassing) doesn't need to be terribly accurate, but for people who would use the Mk3s as a substitute for checking each battery w/ a voltmeter, +/- 17.5 mV seems like quite a bit. Do you have a calculated accuracy figure for voltage?

2) Same question, but as applied to temperature measurements, since batt voltage varies w/temperature
2b) Do set voltage thresholds take into account temperature differences?

I asked about overvoltage protection, and you mentioned that the Mk2 regs blow a fuse (and catch on fire?), but they survive. I was hoping you could answer this about the Mk3:

3) Is there any overvoltage protection on the Mk3 regs for an open battery, other than a fuse (which is really an over-current protection)? Have you tested the Mk3s in a severe overvoltage condition (full pack voltage)?

4) Is that really a 0.5Ohm resistor in the Mk3 photo on your page? Are you really bypassing 30Amps? =)

Rich Rudman wrote:
Listers...
        Thursday night we had a successful test of the proto type MK3 Rudman
regulators.

Corbin Gentry electric bike at summit, Mt. Washington  1974

I got this picture of this man at the summit of Mt. Washington on an electric vehicle. Has anyone owned a Corbin Gentry? Seems Corbin was into more electric vehicles than the VW conversions and the Sparrow.. Nice bit of EV history.

Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519
OK! I adjusted the toe-in on the car and set it to a
smidge less than an eighth of an inch, and added some
Kumho LRR tires. My range has increased from 10 miles
to 24 miles to 80% DOD. And I only did one burnout!
about 5 miles of the trip was on the freeway at about
70mph. I'm very satisfied with this car and will be
starting another spitfire in a few days. The next one
will have a 9 inch motor without the tranny. I will be
taking the GT6 apart to paint it but will also
videotape the process of the two cars going together
to show both methods. With transmission and without.

                 Gadget

visit my websites at www.reverendgadget.com, gadgetsworld.org,
leftcoastconversions.com

I of course missed this event. Is there another one coming anytime soon in the Raleigh area ?

      Date:  Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:45:05 -0700 (MST)    Subject:  Re: Charger
Efficiency, KWH useage at AC Outlet!    From:  "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>    To:  ev@listproc.sjsu.edu    Plain Text Attachment [ Download
File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

  >   Tom Gocze said that his efficiency wasn't good for an S10 around   1000wh
 > per mile.  I assume that's measured at the AC line which is the  >
appropriate way to measure kWh useage.  My electric jeep I sold was  > 4000lbs
and measured 452 wH per mile inside the vehicle but reality   was  > 566 WH per
mile at the AC line.  This factors in the 110% you put   back  > into the
battery (or 120% for NiCads/ NiMh's) and the 90% charger  > efficiency.  So
with lead batteries their is a 20% overall difference  > from reading say an
E-meter VS putting a KWH meter on the AC line   which  > is the correct way to
compare "apples to apples" when looking at   other  > vehicle efficiencies and
other means of fossil fuel propulsion  > comparisons.    Umm that's not
correct.  You must put back in 110% of the AMP hours,   but  in order to do
this, over night, you have to push them in at a much   higher  voltage than
they come out at.    Watthours = Amphours * Volts.    The energy you
 have to put back into a lead acid pack probably close to  133% of what you get
out, then factor in your charger efficiency (more  likely closer to 80% rather
than 90%)  and you are now talking 165%.    My guess is that if it actually
took 452 whrs per mile from the pack,   then  it probably needed close to 750
whrs from the outlet.    Hi,

I don't think it's quite that bad, I measured DC Whr while driving the jeep at

320 WH per mile and at the AC outlet with a watt-hour meter 452 Wh per mile.

My Cushman is measuring 300 WH per mile out of the outlet.

Does anyone have some real-world data of DC WH used VS *real* AC WH used in
EV's?

Thanks, Mark

--- Begin Message --- I don't recall ever posting anything about using a Wheatstone bridge to measure resistance.

I posted about Lee Hart's "Bat-Bridge" a couple of years ago. It is Wheatstone-like. It uses a Wheatstone-esk bridge to compare the voltage on one half of the pack with the other. Quite effective for flagging a multitude of battery pack troubles before they become debilitating or dangerous.

You are doing a Kelvin resistance measurement (four wire) which is something I did post about a few years ago. You turn on the heater (or the charger) and then measure the voltage across each interconnect cable by measuring the voltage from post to post. It should be just a few millivolts. If the post is getting hot, and the post-to-post voltage drop on the cable is just a few millivolts @10 amps or so, the trouble is inside the battery, just as you have suggested.

Optical temperature sensors are becoming quite inexpensive these days. You might want to try one of those to find your trouble spots.

        Bill Dube'

[...]

24 miles to 80% DoD makes much more sense. That would be
roughly 150 wh/mile assuming 300 Wh per battery to 100%
discharge, similar to what I calculated before assuming said
modifications.

If you're willing, aeromod the hell out of that car! No
reason you couldn't get that down to 120 Wh/mile or less,
maybe get 45-50 miles to 100% discharge adjusting for
Peukerts.

You can buy sheet metal, and I consider you a god at working
with that shit, so you'd have no problem making
factory-looking rear wheel skirts, grill block, underbelly,
ect.

The efficiency you have now is freaking sick. And you
haven't even tapped aeromods yet, which at highway speeds
are far more significant than rolling resistance. I knew my
choice of car would be an excellent one; glad I took a few
years to look around instead of impulsively buying a Rabbit
or something like it with brick-like aero... Best of all, I
have someone much more competent than I to beat me to the
punch and provide evidence for some of my suspicions about
the potential these cars have as conversions.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/630

There she is above. Right now my bitch is propped up on
blocks in the garage, and those pics are a year old. Want to
get her going as an EV this summer, but need to find a job
for that!

God damn, wishing I had money to finish my conversion up.
If I can fit 300V of Orbitals and get ~130 wh/mile, that's
near 100 miles range, adjusting for lower amp draws and
estimating 475 Wh/Orbital(At reserve capacity rate of 95
minutes at 25 amps). But that might be a while down the
road, certainly not my first pack.

If I can't fit that many Orbitals, maybe 13 Deka Intimidator
Group 31s or 13 UB121100s and a Baby Zilla would be a
cheaper route, with similar acceleration performance,
slightly lower top speed(120-ish instead of 140+), 200
pounds less weight, and 70-80 miles range.

At $85 a pop, those cheap Chinesey AGMs are looking more
attractive for my initial conversion than floodies of
similar price. Throw in some Lee Hart regs and a modified
Bonn charger designed to properly execute the end of the
charge, and it might work out alright. If not, most kill
their first pack anyway; I expect to.

Besides, with the AGMs, a contactor controller and
Prestolite might give me fast performance for cheap, albeit
recklessly! Hmm, 0-60 in 9 seconds or less and 100+ mph for
< $2,000? Considering it as a possibility, but need to do a
sanity check and crunch some numbers on this one. That would
kick ass for a first conversion!

Would leave more money to dump into the most obnoxious
stereo system possible so I can blare some Rob Zombie,
Springsteen, AC/DC, or Skynard and perhaps terrorize law
enforcement, security moms, and old people with a seemingly
innocent EV. <g>

Great work Gadget. I hope I can duplicate your results, at
minimum.

  Hi Chuck an' EVerybody;

    I read your terminal post and go AGGGGRAH! You arent getting all the
power ya paid for! Terminals SHOULD run stone cold,or damn close to it. IF
you are running two ought welding cable, in ,OK ya said that, say a 100-150
amp setup. I don't know your car's operating voltage. I used to check mine
in SOME of my batteries by just reaching back while driving down the
freeway, BEFORE covering them all up,Feeling things. EVerything was OK to
touch, or if I had a hot one, loooking at the soldered, yes, I hear gasps
from the crimping crowd,I soldered ALL the damn lugs and rarely had heating
issues.The TYPE of terminal on the battery can be an issue here. those
THINGS that the battery people lay awake nights thinking up, USELESS for
EV's type amps. Unless you ask US battery, or bust out and recast new real
automotive posts on your new cells. Tony Ascrizzi and I have gotten pretty
good at recasting new posts on a battery. Not for the squeamish, here, as
with a tad too much heat and EVerything melts through the thin battery
top!!Effectively turning your new battery intio scrap!A REAL battery place
can do this with finesse, often better to pay him to do it!

   At the risk of starting the dorment soldering vers crimping theme again,
I'll bettya your lugs are crimped? Metal is only human, and looses it's grip
over time, especially if it was a crappy comnnection, to begin
with.Soldering if done right, is perminent, and tight forEVr.It, too, is
tricky. Ya need a HOT torch, a Bernz -o -matic wont hack, or do it! If you
get it TOO hot the solder wicks up the wire, and you havew a buss bar,
rather than a nice flexable cable connecter.So it is sporting, but ya get
good at it with a 120 volt car!<g>The proof is a , maybe 2-5 volt drop under
load. Many EVers are happy with 10-15 volts drop as a fact of life.NO! You
are heating stuff up!Contributing to Global Warming! So check out yur wiring
AFTER a , say, smoky breakstand or a quick ride about town. Those hot spots
you MAY find are hurting your range and operformance. NOTHING should be too
hot to touch! Living warm, like picking up a kitten, is OK, but searing to
the touch. NO! 150 -200 degrees, you have issues to deal with. IMHO.

    My two degreez worth.

     Seeya at "DC"

> [...]
>
> Anyways, 75A and 000s on the voltmeter display made me think of
> Bill Dube' posting where he described the use of a Wheatstone
> bridge to figure out the resistance (I have a vague recollection
> of this posting).  I think it was at least a good two years ago
> that he posted that, so I can't find it in my own EVDL archives
> extending almost that far back.  The archives on the internet,
> and there appear to be several different sets, don't seem to lend
> themselves to a search for a "wheatstone" bridge.  (I did find in
> mine and the internet's Brian Hall's reference to one, but that
> was a fictitious story.)  There are some wheatstone bridges on
> EBay that are a reasonable price.
>
> Anyways, hope I'm not making the same mistakes, if any, on these
> few new cables.  Have to go 50 miles down to the Peninsula where
> the tools are.  I'd like some nice cool posts for a change.

First grab the data sheet at http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM3914.pdf

That will get you the basic hookup info for the chip. Now to get a X/Y display you will need some extra parts. 10 10k resistors (5% 1/4W ok) and 2 octal inverters (pick inverters that have a high state that can drive you leds (push pull output not OC)).

to hook this up wire both LM3914 as normal except for the LEDs. Now on the X LM3914 connect the banded (-) side of all leds to this chip (10 leds in each column x 10 columns). On the Y LM3914 connect the 10 10K resistors between each output and +V. Also connect each output to one input on a inverter. The output from the inverter to the (+) side of one row of 10 leds.

How this works is each LM3914 connect its output to ground when its "on". So for the X row we can just use it as the (-) side of the led. If the output is "off" the pin will be floating and the LED will not turn on. For the Y row we need a logic high at the led to turn it on. Since the LM3914 can only drive a low we need to invert the signal to turn on the led. The pull up resistor and inverter takes care of this.

If you would like a set of schematics or a board file let me know. I have the layout tools and can work on it this weekend.

Later,
Wire