  1) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Flying out to San Francisco this weekend
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Flying out to San Francisco this weekend
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter (and kids)
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Percent Difference
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Current Eliminator News!!!!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Alan Geenspan breifing US senate commitee on EVs
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Three questions (was: Announcement of new NEDRA Voltage  Divisions)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Who Killed The Electric Car?
        by "steve ollerton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Trojan T-1275 VS T-875 Batteries
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Advice for FIL: NEV, Hybrid, or...?
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Trojan T-1275 VS T-875 Batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Voltage sag in NiFe batteries
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) OT - Ebert review strongly recommends "An Inconvenient Truth"
        by "Peri Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) META: lost messages/digests (RE: "Xebra (or.. ?) advice for FIL")
        by Patrick Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: LogiSystems (was: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?)
        by "Mueller, Craig M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Mike Phillips wrote:

> How is assembly to write in? easier than C?

No, generally assembly will be more difficult to write in because each
instruction (generally) tells the micro to do exactly one thing (load
this byte into that register, set this bit of this byte, etc.), and you
must therefore tell the micro how to do each and every step of any
operation you wish to perform, in the proper order, etc.  Assembly has
you writing in the processor's native language, and requires you to
become intimately familiar with the architecture and inner workings of
that particular processor (family).  If you decide tomorrow that some
other brand/make of micro is better suited to your task, the code you
have written and the language you have learned will likely not be
protable to the new processor (family).

C is a high-level language, which means that it is English-like (aside
from some syntax/gramar details to be learned, just about anyone can
read C code and get the general idea of what it is supposed to do), and
each C instruction typically translates into multiple assembly
instructions.  This means that it will take less lines of code (that you
have to read) to tell the micro how to do something if you write it in C
than if you write it in assembly.  It also means that what you write can
focus on the task you wish to perform instead of the low-level,
hardware-specific details of each and every step the micro might have to
perform in order to do what you want.  Finally, it means that if you
later wish to use a different micro, you can usually take the C code you
have written and with only small changes recompile it for the new part.
C itself is the same regardless of the processor you run the compiled
code on, so once you have learned C you can move from one processor
family to another without having to relearn a new asssembly
language/instruction set each time.

If you don't know assembly or C, I would suggest that learning C will be
easier, faster, and a more versatile/valuable skill to gain.

--- Begin Message --- I'm going to be flying out to San Francisco to meet with a guy and work on his US Electricar truck/Prizm this weekend. This is probably going to be a simple fix, meaning I'll have some time to tool around and meet people.

Would anyone like to get together with an East Coast EVer while I'm out there? Dinner/tour of cars/chatting/whatever? It would be interesting to meet some of you while I'm there.

> :
> Learn to measure things for yourself. If you can't measure it, you don't
> really know what you're doing. Use that battery charger you built to
> test some old batteries; learn how they REALLY work (as opposed to all
> the old wive's tales and misinformation on the internet).
>
> Something like the Brueggemann meter is an ideal first project. It's
> simple, and lends itself to extensive customization and improvement!

Well put, Lee, as usual.  I would only add that we _do_ have it better than
"when I was a kid" in that the internet has a lot more useful information for
the beginner and beyond.  Yes, the quality metric of the information ranges
from far negative to very positive, but then learning the difference is part of
the learning.

--
 Mike Bianchi

What part of the Bay Area are you going too? That might help nail down
where you are going to be.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm going to be flying out to San Francisco to meet with a guy and work
> on his US Electricar truck/Prizm this weekend. This is probably
going to
> be a simple fix, meaning I'll have some time to tool around and meet
people.

> Would anyone like to get together with an East Coast EVer while I'm out
> there? Dinner/tour of cars/chatting/whatever? It would be
interesting to
> meet some of you while I'm there.
>
> Chris

You could google on "science project." The projects are often fun
things and usually a to-the-point quick read.

Peter Shabino wrote:

> sample code (just off the top of my head)
>
> START
>   MOVF   PORTC,W    ;take the data in port c (one of the
>                      IO banks) and move it to W (the accu)
>   XORLW  0x17       ;do a exclusive or of literal data
>                      (17 in hex) with W put the result in W
>   BTFSS  STATUS,Z   ;check the Z bit in the STATUS reg
>                      and skip the next instruction if its set
>                     ;the status reg have a bunch of math and
>                      other status bits. the Z bit is set if
>                      the last operation resulted in 0
>   GOTO   SKIPOUT    ;just like basic go to the flag named
>                      SKIPOUT
>   BSF    PORTA,0    ;set bit 0 of port A to a 1
>
> SKIPOUT
>   MOVF   PORTC,W    ;take the data in port c (one of the
>                      IO banks) and move it to W (the accu)
>   XORLW  0xE0       ;do a exclusive or of literal data
>                      (E0 in hex) with W put the result in W
>   BTFSS  STATUS,Z   ;check the Z bit in the STATUS reg
>                      and skip the next instruction if its set
>                     ;the status reg have a bunch of math
>                      and other status bits. the Z bit is set
>                      if the last operation resulted in 0
>   GOTO   SKIPOUT0   ;just like basic go to the flag named
>                      SKIPOUT0
>   BCF    PORTA,0    ;set bit 0 of port A to a 0 SKIPOUT0
>   GOTO   START      ;just like basic go to the flag named start
>

> the above program will watch port C on a PIC (8 bit input or
> output port) and if hex 17 is present it will turn on portA
> bit 0 if its hex E0 it will turn off the bit all other states
> no change.

For comparison, C code to do the same task might look like:

if ( portC == 0x17 )
{
   portA |= 0x01;          /* set bit 0   */
}

if ( portC == 0xE0 )
{
   portA &= ~0x01;         /* clear bit 0 */
}

What I typically do is define macros (a type of shorthand) for common
operations such as setting and clearing a bit:

#define setBit( value, mask )    ((value) |= (mask))
#define clearBit( value, mask )  ((value) &= ~(mask))

I also define values such as the bit mask for bit 0 as preprocessor
constants to improve readability:

#define BIT0        (0x01)

With these enhancements, the C code improves in readability to:

if ( portC == 0x17 )
{
   setBit( portA, BIT0 );          /* set bit 0   */
}

if ( portC == 0xE0 )
{
   clearBit( portA, BIT0 );        /* clear bit 0 */
}

Of course, assuming that the values 0x17 and 0xE0 have some sort of
meaning, I would define constants for them that have meaningful names,
like:

#define MOTOR_OVERTEMP   (0x17)
#define NO_FAULT         (0xE0)

And would then use them instead of the less meanignful hex numbers:

if ( portC == MOTOR_OVERTEMP )
{
   setBit( portA, BIT0 );          /* set bit 0   */
}

if ( portC == NO_FAULT )
{
   clearBit( portA, BIT0 );        /* clear bit 0 */
}

> Lee Hart wrote:
> I do a lot of work in schools, with 4th-6th graders
> (www.bestoutreach.com). We help them to build EVs; (see, we're back
> on-topic :-)

:)

Wow, I meant younger as in the mid 20s younger. Ok, now I am old. :D

> I find that kids haven't changed. They are still marvelously energetic,
> curious, creative, and adaptive.

Absolutely. Everything you posted is true. I have a 5 year old daughter and I
am 41. I
have a garage and house full of tools and whenever anything breaks or stops
working,
Phoebe knows that dad will fix it. He won't take it somewhere to get it fixed
because
there is no need. It is so cool that whenever one of her toys breaks, she
brings it to me
to fix. Mom can't fix it, but Dad can... :-D I want to teach her that she can
be the one
to help herself and the value in skills like that.

Once I really get started on my EV, she will be helping me. She helps me now
with my big
block Olds project and loves to tinker. She likes to draw and create. If kids
were more
encouraged like this, as Lee suggests, this country would turn back around and
become
something better than for what we are headed; a second rate nation.

Kudos to you for working with kids like this. It is the most valuable work
going on out
there. Especially in EVs!

--
joe

Thanks, Lee.  I'd gotten as far as the two shunts and meter--but those damn
voltage dividers did me in.  It's the first thing that electronics books
teach, and the last thing that I think of.  I'm going to put an endless MP3
loop under my pillow at night:  "Voltage Divider...Voltage Divider...Voltage
Divider".

 Date:  6/4/06 5:22:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

  Date:  6/4/06 9:54:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
  From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Hower)
  Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

  Dennis,
  Congratulations!!!
  With the cost of gas in the news everyday I would
  think
  the national news should be doing a story on this and
  get even more EV press.
  Keep up the good work!
  Rod

  --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

  > After a long week of racing great news,we took over
  > the NHRA Summit Super Pro
  > points lead. The final round 2am. Again my .00
  > reaction times played a huge
  > factor, but the CE also did its job. Of the 5 round
  > wins I redialed the car 4
  > times. The motor temp started at 113F and ended the
  > night at 116F.
  > The batteries started at 121F and ended at 128F. The
  > track temp. started at
  > 151F and ended at 97F. It was a warm night to race
  > in a double layer race suit
  > siting 4 inches off the track. I am sure I lost at
  > least 5lbs. Of the 5 round
  > wins 4 cars were quicker than 8.5 seconds. 2 racers
  > broke out by .003. Last
  > night was huge in that the points leader lost in the
  > 1st round and I went all
  > the way. I now have at least a 4 round advantage in
  > 1st place. 3rd 4th and 5th
  > places fell further behind as I took them out early.
  > Again these are the
  > Division champs at my track for the last 3 years so
  > I now have more points then any
  > other NHRA div track. HUGE EV PRESS.
  >

  > Dennis Berube
  >  >>
 I forgot to mention the prizes,$1000,large trophy,car ramps,jacks and roll
 around.    Dennis >>
Well the Points are posted on the Speedworld website. The Current Eliminator
Dragster has a 401 point advantage over 2nd place.That is at least 4 rounds
more than the ICE dragsters in the super pro class.
Dennis Berube

Interesting article.  I know (at least in part) how and where Greenspan got
pimped on the EV stuff in preparation for his Senate testimony.  I had a
3-hour working lunch yesterday with a senior exec EV engineer of one of the
big automakers who had a similar working lunch the day before yesterday with
Alan Greenspan (in the same place as my lunch with him) in which he brought
Greenspan up to speed on EV/PHEV technology, including one major automaker's
PHEV production plans.  Greenspan definitely *got* it.

Charles Whalen

any idea if the testimony text is anywhere?

Thanks, Ben

Of course, assuming that the values 0x17 and 0xE0 have some sort of
meaning, I would define constants for them that have meaningful names,
like:

#define MOTOR_OVERTEMP   (0x17)
#define NO_FAULT         (0xE0)

ASM has the same short hand (even macros)

MOTOR_OVERTEMP EQU 0x17
NO_FAULT EQU 0xE0

Just was trying to create a short example.

Later,
Wire

From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:43:28 -0700

Peter Shabino wrote:

> [...]

   setBit( portA, BIT0 );          /* set bit 0   */
}

if ( portC == 0xE0 )
{
   clearBit( portA, BIT0 );        /* clear bit 0 */
}

Of course, assuming that the values 0x17 and 0xE0 have some sort of
meaning, I would define constants for them that have meaningful names,
like:

#define MOTOR_OVERTEMP   (0x17)
#define NO_FAULT         (0xE0)

And would then use them instead of the less meanignful hex numbers:

if ( portC == MOTOR_OVERTEMP )
{
   setBit( portA, BIT0 );          /* set bit 0   */
}

if ( portC == NO_FAULT )
{
   clearBit( portA, BIT0 );        /* clear bit 0 */

--- Begin Message --- Actually your style is a bit flawed for PIC. If you only have to set or clear ONE bit, then it should just be:
LATB0=1;  //PICC18
LATAPins.1=1; //MCC18, I don't think I stated the macro exactly right.

That explicitly leads to a single bit set instruction. Saying to read the PortA register, and/or it with another byte, and write it back may end up compiled into multiple instructions. Or the compiler might be able to figure it out but don't bet on it. Also, writing Port registers this way can cause a glitch if part of the port has been an input but gets changed to an output later in the code.

Also, it leads to split macros. For example, I keep ALL my pin definitions in their own single file, nowhere else in the project. This is important because if you have to later change the pins around you can do so without hunting for every reference anywhere in the code. So in pins.h:
#define PIN_SDO  LATB0
#define PORT_DATAIN PORTD

if (PORT_DATAIN == 0x1e){
  PIN_SDO=0;
}

That keeps you from having to remember that SDO is not only pin 0 but on LATB; i.e. "setBit(PORT_SDO, BIT_SDO);" This is one less place for a typo to frustrate you for god-only-knows how long in debugging.
Danny

Roger Stockton wrote:

For comparison, C code to do the same task might look like:

  portA |= 0x01;          /* set bit 0   */
#define setBit( value, mask )    ((value) |= (mask))
#define clearBit( value, mask )  ((value) &= ~(mask))

  setBit( portA, BIT0 );          /* set bit 0   */

Divisions)

> Boosting the battery voltage is exactly what the newer Prius (2004+)
> are doing: battery is 200V, motor controller is taking 500V DC or
> thereabouts.

Hybrids can not be raced  in NEDRA classes all motive power must come from
batteries carried on board the vehicle.

> I am not suggesting that Prius are racing material, just to say that
> it is not an uncommon situation.
> NEDRA will need to define _where_ and _how_ to measure the voltage.
> If it's the batteries nominal voltage spec as in 2V per lead acid cell
> and 1.2 V per NiCd cell, etc., then all that is needed is to publish
> a list of battery chemistries and voltage per cell that is counted,
> then everyone can figure out the nr of series connected cells and
> determine their class.
>
> If you want to determine the class from max motor voltage then there
> is no need to have 12V steps, as motor voltage max will depend on a
> lot of things: AC or DC (RMS voltage on the AC output as the reference?)
> and the max PWM output times the peak voltage or just the peak voltage
> for DC drive? and so on....
>
> BTW - we hear frequently about motor series/parallelling.
> How is a car classified that does battery series/parallel switching?
> Is it the highest voltage that can be reached when series switching?

Voltage is measured at the battery pack,Period!

> At some point in time it may be beneficial to distinguish classes
> between "lead" and "advance chemistries" instead of lumping them
> together, but I'll leave it to someone else to determine if we want
> a class per chemistry or just keep one class and allow everyone to
> choose according budget and performance of chemistries.

As of now I belive there is only one Lion vehicle actively racing and it is
running high voltage.
A notation of battery chemestry in the record listing is a possible way to
resolve the issue.
The board of directors will determine how to handle this issue and post it
for comment by the NEDRA
membership after 30days the board of directors will vote on and post the
rules.

Any one wishing to build an electric drag racing vehicle should aquire a
NHRA rule book,
and read sec.1A,1C,1G,1H,and the general rules sec. Then go to NEDRA.COM.
and read
theNedra rules. If this is done before starting the project it can save
problems down the road.

Build a machine and come out and race," Father Time"

> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- This film looks great. How do we go about seeing it here in the UK? Anyone know?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marvin Campbell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>