  1) Roderick Wilde did something to my motor!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Daytona 675 specs?, was 214 mph MC
        by "Shawn M. Waggoner \(EVDL\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Fun with Z-regs
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: String equalization and lifetime, was: Taurus EV
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Commercial BMSs (was RE: Taurus EV)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Fun with Z-regs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: String equalization and lifetime, was: Taurus EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Roderick Wilde did something to my motor!
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Tesla Motors electric car unveiling moved from July 12 to July 19, in
Santa Monica
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Roderick Wilde did something to my motor!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Burned Motor
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV for a different customer.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Burned Motor
        by Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
Dear List

  It has come to my attention that 'Ol Rod has abused his motor once again!
Since it's also come to my attention that Rod enjoys a good public tar and
feathering I've submitted pics to my site for your viewing and judging pleasure
 8^ P

  Rod chastised me for not having put any links to his sites, so I've remedied
that for your ease in a public intervention to help stop this horrid motor
abuse.  I ask that you all read the charges and judge him both severly, and
promptly!

  Rod you know I still love you but sometimes you just have to whip out the
tough love! 8^ P

  Hope you all enjoy.
  Cya
  http://www.hitorqueelectric.com

countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Rich Rudman wrote:

> That's what the SB175 need ...you have to walk them.
> If you use a SB350.. it's about 1/2 the forces.

You must have some bum SB175s; mine plug and unplug fine.  The SB350 in
my doesn't seem significantly different in insertion force than the
SB175s, but I do tend to walk it when unmating.

> Get scared.. check the SBX700 out.. it comes with a latch and
> lever system.

The latch and lever system is available for the SB350s (and perhaps the
smaller models too?); it certainly does make the connectors friendly to
users with little upper body strength ;^>

> OK I win!! My connectors are larger than yours!!!

Yep; you win! ;^>

> They have 10 Aux 20 amp pins inbetween the main pins that you
> can stick your Thumb into.

This is what makes them a bear to mate/unmate; even just the 2 PowerPole
aux contacts in the SBX make a huge difference between an SB175 and
SBX175 (the main contacts are identical other than length).

Hi Rod,

Like Mike also chimed in, it's really hard to find good published numbers on
sport bikes. Comparing it to some other similarly styled bikes, my guess
would be in the mid .7's for the 675, but this is just a SWAG based on
styling similarities to other types of bikes of the same size. Also keep in
mind that part of that number is based on the frontal area of the bike,
which has to include the rider as well - and that is dynamic value.

There is a really good spreadsheet that was published last year that allows
you to input a variety of values to review the effects of lift, drag,
as well. You could input the range of Cd and specs from the 675 to see how
the results vary.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet:

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/images/DragLift.xls

Hope that helps,

Shawn Waggoner
Florida EAA

From: Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: DC Motor torque calculations
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 06:28:50 -0700

On the subject of using the automatic, Are transmissions flow machines
or pressure machines?

Flow system: The pump flows thru the system constantly building pressure
as needed. If the pump shuts off the pressure drops to zero rapidly. Or
a pressure system like older power steering systems where pressure is
built against a pressure relieve valve.

If the tranny has a pressure port that controls the valves that doesnt
take a lot of flow, ie seperate from the torque converter circuit, then
perhpas we could just put one of those football sized nitrogen charged
accumulators to maintain the pressure while stopped. perhaps a pump on a
contactor could come on to build pressure if the accumulator drains,
like initial start up or long lights.

How about for start up. clutch interlock on key to prevent lurching in
gear and while in start possition a contactor pulls in a resistor and
spins the main motor, building pressure into the accumulator. The motor
coasts to a stop when the key is released to the run position. (make it
like starting a diesel if it takes longer than that)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Jim, some clarifications. I never said the over heating part was from the motor seeing high voltage. I said the arcing was. The motor does have the tach drive hooked to the Zilla and set at 7000 rpms I believe. The overheating occurred by driving it downtown here in Port Townsend in front drive only as we were missing a magnet from the front armature. I borrowed one from one of the rear motors which made them unable to run because the rear Zilla was doing it's job. I had mentioned that one of the next things I am installing is temp gauges hooked to the brushes. I used them in the past in road racing at Firebird to keep the motor together. It would redline the brushes at 450 F on the straight-aways. A motor can shoot up on armature temp in less than a second. I was doing a bit of showing off downtown. I had high up federal officials from Rwanda in the hacked old mail truck :-) One was The Minister of Energy for the country and he reported directly to the president. I just had to give them a taste of raw US electrons at work. So maybe I did get a little lead footed downtown :-) Now you know the rest of the story!

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It has come to my attention that 'Ol Rod has abused his motor once again! Since it's also come to my attention that Rod enjoys a good public tar and feathering I've submitted pics to my site for your viewing and judging pleasure 8^ P

Rod chastised me for not having put any links to his sites, so I've remedied that for your ease in a public intervention to help stop this horrid motor abuse. I ask that you all read the charges and judge him both severly, and promptly!

Rod you know I still love you but sometimes you just have to whip out the tough love! 8^ P

 Hope you all enjoy.
 Cya
 http://www.hitorqueelectric.com

On 6/5/06, Jorg Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But I think I can say that these guys are to be taken seriously (you
wouldn't worry about federal safety standards unless you were serious
about selling a lot of cars), and this is the first electric car that my wife
actually likes the looks of.

http://macworld-cnet.com.com/2100-11389_3-6080269.html?part=macworld-cnet&tag=6080269&subj=news

 A Silicon Valley start-up is expected to show off an electric car this
summer that it says can hang with Porsches and Ferraris and has attracted
investments from the founders of Google and eBay.

 Tesla Motors says its Tesla Roadster can accelerate, brake and handle like
a high-end sports car. The company, in fact, claims the car can accelerate
from zero to 60 mph in four seconds.

The big difference is that it runs completely on electricity. It plugs into
the wall and is not a hybrid. The battery gives it a range of 250 miles.

 "We have made a sports car that is really a sports car," said CEO Martin
Eberhard. "It is first and fundamentally a driver's car."

 A public unveiling of the car is slated for July 12 in Santa Monica,
Calif., in which buyers will also be able to sign up to buy the first cars
that come off the line.

A note of correction: the unveiling has been moved to July 19th, 8PM,
in Santa Monica.  If you go to the http://www.teslamotors.com/ site,
you'll notice a countdown timer for the unveiling; I guess on the day
after the event they'll make their web site more informative.

Tesla is calling the event the "signature one hundred event".

Hey Rod

  You know I'm just having a little wiennie roast with you 8^ P  It is nice to
finally weasle the whole story from you though, hehe.  If it was for diplimatic
relations I guess it makes it justifiable, maybe.  You know it's funny you
mention Rwanda as I got an official looking email from there a while back
wanting to give me money.  I took it as a phish and trashed it, lmao!  It
probably was but I wonder now...Damn!, lol.

  Now if I read your post correctly, you were using just "my" motor to power GP
with not only you but others inside while hot-rodding around town?  I just want
to get my facts straight cause that sounds sooo much better for you than the
motor molistations I accussed you of, lmao!  Actually if that was the case I'm
rather pleased then 8^ D

  Anyway I hope you don't mind me having a little fun while I'm up-loading pics
(a motor guys got to have some fun).  Hey if I didn't care I'd fix it, pat your
head, tell you good boy, and send you on your way, hehe.
  I've got some ideas I want to run by you so I'll give you a call Monday to
discuss.  Got to go, have family in from out of state.
  Cya

  Roderick Wilde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]

--- Begin Message --- I had an 8" ADC (w/ broken brushworks) sitting on the shelf in my shop when it burned.
Is the motor salvageable?  Or is it trash now.
Note that this was a HOT fire. Aluminum melted, and the concrete floor is shattered down 1 or 2 inches.
--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

Interesting, but I would think the user would be paranoid that the
friction drive would tear up tires.

Also the torque direct to the wheel is kinda high.

I have thought of 2 similar ideas.
  1.  A replacement rear suspension for my FWD grand am that has a
motor. this "kit" bolts in in a weekend and accepts 10 orbitals between
the rear strut towers keeping the useable part of the trunk. Instant
plug in hybrid.
  2. same Idea as you except driving the driveline with a chain. The
motor is mounted in the middle of the sled and a hole in the bed allows
for a lovejoy coupling to chain drive. Cut 3" x 6" hole in bed, slide it
up and bolt to the rear of tranny, then re-attach driveline. It would
add about a 1/4" to drive line length. We just need to mount the motor
on rubber mounts to allow some movement.  Tap into the ICE throttle
position pot, most are a 5K or 6K pot anyway. put a hydralic pressure
sensor on the brake line. Like from Omega engineering.

Any of these instant hybrids could really get a large mass of people
into EV's in a big way. We could even sell as part of the kit a 2hp
motor to mount on the single serpentine belt and put a overrun clutch on
the main crank, then it can shutdown at will.

Roland, you hit on the problem.

If the adapter is simple, standard and changes only in 1 dimension,
quantity discounts can be had. Making it a direct drop in for each model
and you have to make 100 of them to recoup your tooling.

Look at mine, I went to Small block chevy 2 piece oil seal as my
standard, The new one you mention is to kinda tough (small) to get an
effective taper lock in

The problem is the motors are chaepest right now with a stupid keyed
shaft. why not just have a shaft that presents the SBC pattern, be
pressed into the armature just like the current one, The only issue
would be larger diameter bearings capable of handling the clutch forces
would be needed.  Why??? because we can agree on the keyed shaft, we
can't agree on what standard to make for a crank pattern.

I vote for the older SBC because the clutch situation is solved by all
the IMCA, modified, IMSA, Nascar, and Formula 1 guys.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You are correct. For steady-state the HP requirement is proportional to the velocity cubed. HP ~ V^3. In drag racing, however, the HP requirement is the FOURTH POWER of top speed. HP ~ V^4

This means that if it takes 100 HP to get a 100 MPH trap speed in the 1/4 mile, you will need 1600 HP to get to 200 MPH.

A good example of this is when Going Postal ran something like 80 MPH it's first time out. Folks were thinking "Wow, just a little more work and he can get it over 100 MPH." If you do the math, you discover that it you would have to make a lot more than twice the HP (actually 2.44 times) to bump up the trap speed just 20 MPH more. It is a lot harder to improve trap speed than you would think at first.

        ET takes good vehicle set-up. Trap speed takes raw HP.

        Bill Dube'

John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> I had an 8" ADC (w/ broken brushworks) sitting on the shelf in my shop
> when it burned.
> Is the motor salvageable?  Or is it trash now.
> Note that this was a HOT fire.  Aluminum melted, and the concrete
> floor is shattered down 1 or 2 inches.
> --
> John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....
> http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Sorry I'm no expert but if it got as hot as you say there's no way it's
worth anything but scrap.

--
Martin K

Yeah - we should be comparing it to other 457 pound electric motorcycles with
50 - 100 miles of range ....

Philippe Borges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I don't understand why people
compare this bike to Bill drag racer, going
200mph in 1/4 miles is VERY hard/exepnsive but its not the point here !
This is a road superbike which only need to take -100hp during 2 miles to
attain this speed...

cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

> If they HAD the specs and the Bike...ready or even a sample of it.
> It would have looked a LOT different..
>
> Since even the photos that you see clearly don't have the right "Shadows",
> these guys are even laying about what they are showing us..
> That's the point of Rod's post and my sardonic replys.
>
> This is not a real bike.. and is being sold as one ready to go for a price
> that would land you most of a Hyabusa..(sp?)
>
> With 80 K in my hands.. yea.. I would be going fast, But not with Goldie.
> can find better chassis than that old Rust bucket.
>
> The step from 150 to 200 is a rather large one..ask Bill Dube...Or any one
> that has gone there.
>
> Madman

--- Begin Message --- Bill, by the way, GP ran 98 mph with the screws turned down and a blown tranny. The run before we were at 80 mph at the eighth. The second run when the gears stripped off third I had hit the brakes. When I decided to nail it we were only at 74 mph at the eighth but 98 at the quarter 5.1 seconds later. You do your math and you will see she's got a lot more in her for a hacked up old postal van. As it said in the movie. "You ain't seen the last of Gone Postal!"

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> If they HAD the specs and the Bike...ready or even a sample of it.
> It would have looked a LOT different..
>
> Since even the photos that you see clearly don't have the right > "Shadows",
> these guys are even laying about what they are showing us..
> That's the point of Rod's post and my sardonic replys.
>
> This is not a real bike.. and is being sold as one ready to go for a > price
> that would land you most of a Hyabusa..(sp?)
>
> With 80 K in my hands.. yea.. I would be going fast, But not with > Goldie.
> can find better chassis than that old Rust bucket.
>
> The step from 150 to 200 is a rather large one..ask Bill Dube...Or any > one
> that has gone there.
>
> Madman

Yes, I would go with the older crank flange type. If a person is going to do a
conversion, use the large flange flywheel or flex plate.  I found that these
old style flywheels can be used on a the later model transmissions that that
uses the large 14 inch fly wheels design for the smaller engine crank flange.

These older large flange flywheels are design for a internal balance engine, so
the flywheel is balance in it self.

I find with the small flange taper lock, that it pushes the transmission back,
because the transmission pilot shaft bearing is not set in the same position as
it would be for engine.  When I install the Warp motor in the same place the GE
motor was place, it push the transmission back 5/8 inch back from the normal
position.

My transmission pilot shaft goes into the brass bushing that is inserted into
the GE motor shaft using the large flange adapter.   The taper lock coupler has
the brass pilot bushing set into the coupler for the small flange adapters,
which moves the transmission back.

The motor adapter plates are 2.75 inches thick for the Warp motors.  If the
adapter plate was part of the rear motor housing like the GE was, than a 2 inch
adapter would work.

I ran with both flanges, and I am going to install the large flange adapter
back on, with a very light weight fly wheel that is 12 inches in diameter.