  1) Re: EVLN(Mike Harvey's Cabby 80mi range conversion)
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: wiring size
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: wiring size
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Question about 20 gauge fusible link, what is the blow
  current in amps?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: wiring size back to the question...
        by "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) soneil chargers
        by "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) electric motor with a CVT
        by "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: wiring size
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: wiring size
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Just don't call it a smart EV
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Tell your friends to join us: Speak out on Global Warming!] Forwarded
without recommentation.
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Top two wheeled ev you can buy right now
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: wiring size
 16) Re: electric motor with a CVT
 17) Re: wiring size back to the question...
 18) Personal Electric Transport
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Tell your friends to join us: Speak out on Global Warming!] Forwarded
without recommentation.
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by thomas ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Tell your friends to join us: Speak out on Global Warming!] Forwarded
without recommentation.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: wiring size back to the question...
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Personal Electric Transport
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hey!  One of our Voltsrabbit Kits got some good ink!

Shari Prange
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Voltage drop across a wire is only related to the current and the history of
the applied current across the wire, not to the voltage applied to the
voltage across the load IF THE CURRENT REMAINS THE SAME. The history of the
current affects the wire resistance because copper has a temperature
coefficient - the wire's resistance will tend to go up as it heats up,
producing more heat....

It does not matter if you have a 100V battery pack or a 200V battery pack.
If you are taking 100A from the battery, you get the same wiring voltage
drop either way across the wire between the load (motor controller) and the
battery. This is somewhat hypothetical because in a commute, you tend to use
a relatively constant amount of power to drive the same way. This means that
you will tend to take less current at a higher battery voltage in a
real-world application.

Things get a bit more complicated with a current-limiting controller. If you
have a current limiting controller, the wiring voltage drops change with
input voltage because the controller reduces voltage and increases current
(any AC or DC motor controller is essentially a buck-type switching power
supply - AC drives have three of them in one box, DC drives have just one).
In which case, increasing the battery voltage to 200V will reduce the
battery current and the voltage drops in the battery-to-controller wiring if
the motor load remains constant. The controller-to-motor wiring voltage
drops will remain identical because the motor current remains identical for
the same motor output power.

This is not strictly correct, actually. Efficiency losses in the controller
(due to the difference between MOSFET Rds(on) or IGBT on-voltage vs. diode
voltage drop) skew these results somewhat. A controller is not an ohm's law
device - rather, it is a constant-power device. It offers a negative
resistance characteristic to the battery - a lower battery voltage results
in more current when it is in current limiting mode (which is essentially
all of the time on an AC drive).

This means that if you use bigger wire (with lower resistance) in the
battery feed to a controller, the current will drop more than you would
initially think because the available voltage at the controller is higher.
That makes the voltage higher than ohm's law would have you initially
believe.

-Dale

Shari,

I'd like to comment on the subject, IMHO Bill is 100% right on this.

It's not amount of pressure; hammer crimp sure can provide you more
(in theory, with half-ton hammer if you wish) than any jaw-style one.

It's consistency and assurance. Yes, there is nothing intrinsically
wrong with hammer crimper, there is *always* something intrinsically
wrong with its operator. Little tired, little off impact angle, little distraction, little harder swing of a hammer, etc.

Hex or ratchet tool just takes these human induced variables away,
that's the *value of the tool* so *anyone* can make good uniform
crimps and doesn't have to be as skillful and as consistent as a robot.

If you (and others) have no problems with hammer crimps, good for you.
This does not change the fact above: no one can exactly duplicate
*your* [excellent] crimp with hammer crimper, but perhaps anyone can do
near excellent job with
ratchet one - it simply won't let you make bad crimp. That's I think
is whole point of Bill's response. Jaw crimper is the best for average
person to make very good crimp. Hammer one is perhaps best for you and others who feel confident, are very experienced and skillful enough, so there is no risk of hiccup.

Victor

Electro Automotive wrote:
At 01:49 PM 2/7/2007, you wrote:

However, we have sold them to Boeing, so I guess they must be ok.

They most certainly would not be using them for an airplane. The FAA would have their head on a pike for using a hammer crimper. Probably for a fork lift or a car battery.

I didn't ask what they were using them for. But apparently the tool met their standards.

Shari Prange

The FAA requires that the crimp operation be done with a tool that delivers the same (and the correct) displacement every time it is operated. Ratchet type crimpers that will not retract until fully actuated are the norm for aircraft use.

A hammer crimper would be unable to meet any "standard" because the resultant crimp quality is highly variable. Even the same operator would have varying results. Aside from 100% pull testing and resistance testing, there would be no way to assure that each connection was done with consistent quality.

If you hammer too hard or too much, you will cut the strands of the cable, resulting in a poor connection.

Never seen this happen.

If you hammer too light or too little, you will not deform the crimp enough to swage tightly against the cable, causing a poor connection.

That's why there's calibrations on the tool.

If it is OK to have an occasional bad connection that you will correct when it lets go or heats up, then I guess a hammer crimper will work for you. If, however, you want some degree of consistency and quality control in your connections, you cannot use a hammer crimper.

Geez, Bill!   I don't need my car to be FAA certified.

Ok, let's say that Boeing can probably buy any kind of crimper they want, including for their bloody forklifts. And let's also assume that, as an aircraft company, they generally have a corporate culture of NOT buying shoddy tools. (At least, I certainly hope they do!). So, apparently the hammer crimper met THEIR PURCHASING STANDARDS for whatever the hell they were using it for. If it was for forklifts, or tugs, or whatever, then it MAY have even been a HIGHER current application than our poor little cars.

My point is, if it's good enough for Boeing, it's good enough for me.

To quote one hgih school instructor customer of ours: "We gave the cables and lugs and crimper and hammer to the special ed kids, and let 'em have at it. They had a great time, and we didn't lose a single connection in the race."

The hammer crimpers are practically idiot-proof. Which is not to say the bolt-cutter style aren't also excellent. Also great for developing your pecs.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Again this changes nothing, the voltage drop is not related to our pack
voltage, only the current.

But this current depends on the voltage for given power EV, this is I guess is the source of confusion.

To simplify this:

Voltage drop on the wire (measured between both ends of the same wire) depends on the current through this wire and it's resistance.

It has nothing to do with the voltage *between* two wires (+ and -) of the battery supplying your system.

Don't confuse voltage [drop] on a wire and voltage [battery] between two wires. (This clarification of course is not aimed to you Peter).

At 01:23 PM 8/02/07 -0800, you wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about 20 gauge fusible links. Can't find much information about them, and not many places to buy them by googling! Anyways, what is the current that will trip the fusible link in amps, for say, a 20 gauge fusible link? I'm guessing 15 amps or so?

                        - Tony

G'day Tony

I assume you are after a fusible link for 12 volt or 24 volt? It is ummm... not recommended... over that voltage as you risk plasma events in the event of a short.

Keep it safe.

Regards

James.
I uploaded some pictures of the aspire hybrid.

This is the rear wheel converted to a driven wheel using FWD hub strut and half-shaft. I put a bearing and made an aluminum support for it, and put in a keyway to hold a QD bushing.

http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/drivenwheel.jpg

Here is the chain drive from the 8" ADC motor.

http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/motorchain.jpg

I machined up the nylon drive sprocket and installed it.
It doesn't make as much noise as the steel sprocket, but the chain drive still makes more noise than I would like. Might be OK once a cover is made so the noise doesn't echo around inside the car.

Jack

David Hrivnak wrote:
Interesting, please keep us posted!

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: wiring size
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:21:45 -0800

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Again this changes nothing, the voltage drop is not related to our pack
voltage, only the current.

But this current depends on the voltage for given power EV, this is I guess is the source of confusion.

To simplify this:

Voltage drop on the wire (measured between both ends of the same wire) depends on the current through this wire and it's resistance.

It has nothing to do with the voltage *between* two wires (+ and -) of the battery supplying your system.

Don't confuse voltage [drop] on a wire and voltage [battery] between two wires. (This clarification of course is not aimed to you Peter).

Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- i recently saw a 36 volt 4.5 amp charger on the internet and it said that you could leave it hooked up indefinetly and it would not overcharge your batteries. Would this also be true for AGMs because thats what i was thinking of usng it for. Do i still need regulators, or could i do without?

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live Spaces. http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If i was to make a electric motorcycle with a CVT what would i want it to do. Would i want it to let the motor get to full speed and then change the gear ratio or somewhere in between? Can you even adjust a cvt to shit at different rpms? Are most of them mechanical or computerized? can you program or adjust them?

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329

In short, of course mate!

On 08/02/07, Tim Gamber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

is 1/0 wiring big enough to take 450 amps for short bursts and 100-200
amps
continuous at 72 volts?

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329
>From January 26 to February 8, 2007

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Absolutely. There are also trade offs if you try to control these factors as well. Finding a well balanced state will also vary with time. While my experience has been with stationary inverters, the same should apply with EVs. The only real condition you can immediately manipulate with control readily is temperature. Make up water will impact your specific gravity (specific gravity), and it isn't very practical to change out your electrolyte when its density is only changing in percentage points. In fact I've permitted the density of my PbAs to change 10-15% without any real impact on overall short term performance ... I can't comment on long term affects as I simply haven't had any noted experience beyond a year or so. Richard Perez (Home Power Magazine, issue #9) has a good article on "Lead Acid Battery State of Charge vs Voltage" which might help. There are also several good resources you might find googling. Like yourself, I've been concerned in finding out the source of voltage differences as well ... I've gotten to where I monitor my battery packs for deviations that might indicate a pending cell failure, and still search for phantom ghost sinks (my wife ... bless her heart ... she loves gadgets that have sleep timers, clocks, standby voltages ... etc), but small deviations in battery status (<10%) I've gotten to where I make note but pend action.

Disclaimer - my situation is vastly different from your constant heavy drain and huge swing in charge; I've never had cause to use more than 20% of my battery state of charge (not to mention being some distance from any source of help when on the road). I'm counting pennies toward a Li-ion pack, maybe within the next two years I'll be able to make that purchase ... I'm sure I'll be freaking out soon enough as well given their current costs!

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
Roland, I think I've figured out where you went wrong.

You said you saw your pack voltage sagged 3% (from 192V to 186V) under a
200 Amp load and apparently you mistakenly attributed this to voltage drop
in the wiring.

The vast amount of this voltage drop was in the batteries themselves due
to their internal resistance, and not in the wiring.

I suppose you could describe battery voltage sag as a percentage of pack
voltage, since it depends on how many cells you have (more cells in
series, more voltage sag). However, this would be somewhat meaningless as
battery voltage sag is dependent on the batteries internal resistance and
this varies constantly.  It changes depending on how old the batteries
are, how warm/cold they are, and their SoC, specific gravity, etc.

Anyway, the voltage sag was mostly due to the batteries and not the wire.

This discussion of house wiring isn't really relevent and doesn't change
anything anyway.

"New generation electric city car will be completed in Jan. 20, 2007":
http://www.vstargroup.com/product/eccar/ecitycar.html

tks
Lock
Toronto
human-electric

December 23rd:
EVLN(Shandong Huoyan Electromobile City Spirit: a DC Smart
knock-off)

October 3rd:
China Knock-offs (Re: "Strange EV on eBay" round 3)

September 28th:
China Knock-offs (Re: "Strange EV on eBay" round 2)

September 26th:
China Knock-offs (Re: "Strange EV on eBay" round 2)

And finally September 19th:
Strange EV on Ebay
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev-list-archive/message/75067

Please do NOT post this kind of hogwash to this list!

Joseph H. Strubhar

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Web:   www.gremcoinc.com