  1) RE: T-105 Sticker shock
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Arrogant Ignorance
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Arrogant Ignorance
        by "Rick Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Arrogant Ignorance
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Arrogant Ignorance
  9) Re: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) case for ev's (was sticker shock)
        by "Seth Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) National Science Foundation's EV Cafe'
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Battery load tester
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Lester Charger for free.
 15) Re: A123 to get more expensive? was RE: Torqeedo Power lithium-manganese
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Arrogant Ignorance
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The cost of a EV depends on your driving needs.  If you have to drive 100
miles a day and change out the batteries every 300 days, then it may not be
cost effective over a ICE, yet.

I drive very short trips, all in town driving at 25 mph average.  My ICE
would get only 5 mpg, the engine would never warm up.  Replace the engine
three times.

I even drive a so call lite weight baby bug ICE that was to get 44 mpg, but
would only get 13 mpg on the routes I take daily.  Also could not push
through a foot of snow, get stuck all the time and never has a change to
warm up.

I now drive my EV on these routes for the last 30 years and I do not think
of the battery replacements with the cost of electric fuel, because my last
battery pack went 10 years and 4 months.  I have replace my ICE engines
sooner than that cost as or more than the battery packs.

So I do not take the cost of the battery replacements as compare to engine
replacements as the cost of fuel. I only use the electricity cost as compare
to the cost of gas.

A EV is ideal for very short daily trips as compare to a ICE.

--- Begin Message --- The "Buy it now" price of $750 is super bargain. These motors should sell quickly. Without that upper limit, I would have expected these motors to go for about $1,000 each.

Bill Dube'

At 09:13 PM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
Last fall Jim Husted took 2 ADC 6.7" Tropica motors and re-worked them for
me for a drag bike I was going to build that was to have a dual-motor setup.
He Kevlar banded the comms, advanced them, moved the temp sensor to the
brush holder and added solid copper brush leads, and more - the same mods he
has since done to Bill's Killacycle motors. These motors are pure works of
art. To echo the words of John, Bill and others, Jim is THE man when it
comes to motors.

Unfortunately, for several reasons, the bike project is not going to be. I
am selling the bike frame and parts and after talking with Jim tonight, I
have listed the motors on eBay for sale. There are lots of pictures and
details of the motors on the listing. If anyone is interested or has any
questions please let me know.

The listings are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095715956

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095716902

Thanks,

Shawn Waggoner
561-543-9223

Speaking of Future Cars, what about the segment on the Air Car?

They said that the Air Car would recharge itself as it ran, just like perpetual motion!!!!

Nice to see that the Discovery Channel is doing their homework!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I suggest you keep shopping and don't get discouraged. I was first quoted $149 for T-875's. Eventually I got that down to $93.00

I realize that Trojan's are the deep discharge battery of choice for a lot of people but US Battery is just as good and a lot cheaper. Sometimes you're just paying for a name. I'm buying 8v US batteries for $82.00/each.

Heck, for my first EV I bought the Sam's Club brand Stowaway batteries which were actually an Exide E3600 built just for Sam's Club for $46.00 each. I ran them for a little less than 2 years with no problem and no loss of performance whatsoever. That was in my 72v ex-postal truck with Curtis controller so the max I was drawing was 400 amps. I mean, I wouldn't recommend them in a performance EV drawing 1000 amps but for gentle, daily driving they were fine. Unfortunately, my local Sam's Club appears to have dropped them in favor of a much worse quality Energizer ECG-8 battery. These I avoided based on user testimonial.

The point is, I realize that Trojan's are great batteries that are very tolerant but I feel they are overpriced and that there are acceptable "middle of the road" batteries that are much less expensive out there. I'd hate to see you give up EV's because of a perceived expense. Shop around, try some different manufacturers. If in doubt, ask about them here and see what people say.

Rich A.
Maryland
'74 Beetle

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:13:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: T-105 Sitcker Shock
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I was just quoted $85ea plus tax for a set of T-105's.
This is quite a jump from the last time I bought them.
At these prices, freight shipping from higher volume
distribution points starts to look attractive.
Is this about the going rate for T-105's now or am I
getting hosed?  This may be the end of my EV career, this
works out to the equivalent of $3.50 gal gas before
the cost of electricity.  I like my EV but I can run
a luxury car cheaper than this.

Mark Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft® Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0540002499mrt/direct/01/
Isn't there a law of physics being broken here?  Something about
conservation of energy. I don't know, maybe its just me.
-Rick

Speaking of Future Cars, what about the segment on the Air Car?

They said that the Air Car would recharge itself as it ran, just like
perpetual motion!!!!

Nice to see that the Discovery Channel is doing their homework!

No - you didn't get the memo about it changing - that's all.

Now, if someone could just change ohms law we'll be set ;)

DC [EMAIL
PROTECTED])¢Ë\¢{ZŠ{~ŠÛ‰×^žg¬±¨~ŠæjÛ.r¬jv­µ§!y×â•æ¯qªÝ3~ŠæjÛbžâ²Û¶Èì¹çn¢yriǦÓ˃StÈ*.®š,¶)à±Ø¬¦V²¶¬™ë,j²¢êæj)i®ˆ+jh¬ž‹lzÛh±éÝ<°51LãKa©Ýç±§cºËbž
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:33:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Hey Shawn, Bill, all

I opened Bill's reply this morning fully expecting
Bill to call Shawn on his blatant "thread stealing"
tactics.  Hey David, can do something about Shawn the
list troll, LMAO!

Actually, Shawn was really torn on his decision to
part with these motors.  In the end we all have to do
what we have to do, so I was okay with his choice
(even though I poured my heart and soul into them,
sniff, sniff.)

These are the first motors I did with the heavy duty
solid copper brush leads as well as having the temp
sensor attached to the brush holders vs. located in
the fields which is a poor area to attach to.  Anyway
I'm hopeful someone will give them a good home and
they'll get some good abuse... I mean use, lol.

BTW nice Ebay page format shawn.  I was joking with
the wife saying "great! now I get to be Ebay spammed
to death" LMAO!!

Shawn has these pretty documented but I thought I'd
offer any additional info I might have or answer
questions if needed to anyone looking at these motors.

Cya

--- Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The "Buy it now" price of $750 is super bargain.
> These motors should
> sell quickly. Without that upper limit, I would have
> expected these
> motors to go for about $1,000 each.
>
> Bill Dube'
>
> At 09:13 PM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
> >Last fall Jim Husted took 2 ADC 6.7" Tropica motors
> and re-worked them for
> >me for a drag bike I was going to build that was to
> have a dual-motor setup.
> >He Kevlar banded the comms, advanced them, moved
> the temp sensor to the
> >brush holder and added solid copper brush leads,
> and more - the same mods he
> >has since done to Bill's Killacycle motors. These
> motors are pure works of
> >art. To echo the words of John, Bill and others,
> Jim is THE man when it
> >comes to motors.
> >
> >Unfortunately, for several reasons, the bike
> project is not going to be. I
> >am selling the bike frame and parts and after
> talking with Jim tonight, I
> >have listed the motors on eBay for sale. There are
> lots of pictures and
> >details of the motors on the listing. If anyone is
> interested or has any
> >questions please let me know.
> >
> >The listings are:
> >

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095715956
> >

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095716902
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Shawn Waggoner
> >561-543-9223

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:24:11 -0700 (MST)
From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Yeah, those stupid laws of Physics were getting old anyway, it's about
time someone got around to updating them.

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:34:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: T-105 Sitcker Shock
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

--- Richard Acuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I realize that Trojan's are the deep discharge battery of choice
> but US Battery is just as good and a lot cheaper.

No, not a lot cheaper.  When I bought a USB pack (2200's) the
price difference was about $200.   It turns out my charger won't
charge them to the algorithm Nawaz later described to me that
they require, and the pack was toast in 6000 miles.  I'd
have to buy a new charger and 8 or 10 sets of USB's to just
break even.  Nothing against USB's, but I can't use them for
economic reasons.

Mark Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV
From: "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu, ListServ@electricmotorcycles.net
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:35:14 +0000

I'm not sure how much the Jim Husted magic costs, but stock these motors
have been seen for a lot less, probably because John Wayland bought a lot of
about 32 of these a couple of years ago and spread them around at his cost
of $125 each.  I got one for that price then picked up another in trade for
some old NiCads I had laying around.  For racing these motors might be a
bargain, but for just building a street motorcycle, probably not.

damon

>From: Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>Subject: RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:17:49 -0700
>
>The "Buy it now" price of $750 is super bargain. These motors should sell
>quickly. Without that upper limit, I would have expected these motors to go
>for about $1,000 each.
>
>Bill Dube'
>
>At 09:13 PM 2/21/2007, you wrote:
>>Last fall Jim Husted took 2 ADC 6.7" Tropica motors and re-worked them for
>>me for a drag bike I was going to build that was to have a dual-motor
>>setup.
>>He Kevlar banded the comms, advanced them, moved the temp sensor to the
>>brush holder and added solid copper brush leads, and more - the same mods
>>he
>>has since done to Bill's Killacycle motors. These motors are pure works of
>>art. To echo the words of John, Bill and others, Jim is THE man when it
>>comes to motors.
>>
>>Unfortunately, for several reasons, the bike project is not going to be. I
>>am selling the bike frame and parts and after talking with Jim tonight, I
>>have listed the motors on eBay for sale. There are lots of pictures and
>>details of the motors on the listing. If anyone is interested or has any
>>questions please let me know.
>>
>>The listings are:
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095715956
>>
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095716902
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Shawn Waggoner
>>561-543-9223

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in as
fast as 1 year
http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116
From: "Seth Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: case for ev's (was sticker shock)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:33:12 -0500

aka "TheUnexamined Drive Cycle is Not Worth Living" or something like that

ok, so that was some real diversity of ev opinion, from someone far more
seasoned than my present (0 miles total, maybe 10 yards) in an ev experience
so far.
    forgetting even Al Gore and contentious and somewhat disputable global
warming claims, even general environmental factors (more CoO2 is worse than
less, Al's spiel aside) the case for electrics can still be compelling
considering (and I dobn;t hve all the facts handy or even acurate right now,
but:)
- extra hundreds of millions of Chinese, Indian and even OPEC nation drivers
coming 'on line' over the next few decades
- end of 'easy oil' era, whether or not actual production has peaked or not
- some massive part of our trade deficit due to oil, for which something
like each million (billion) barrels consumed displaces 24,000 US Jobs (my
figures are likely off, I'm packing for vacation right now!)
- consider alternative energy options:
    -) Diesel - likely better than (non plug-in) hybrids, us needs to go
from 2% diesel vehicles closer to
the 45% or so of Europe, likely.  Still, just helps stretch the petroleum
supply.
    -) bio fuels:  biodiesel and ethanol can only go so far, given that the
world doesn't readily produce way too much food as it is - deo we feed our
cars instead of our people (though those people may not nec.ly be in the
us - the National Review guy actually had some good points about the overall
global picture)
    -) fuel cells - ok, technically an 'energy carrier' rather than a
source, not really feasible for several decades and at what masive cost, for
transportation??
    Which leaves us with
    -)  Electric:  some recent report had it that something like 180 million
plug-in vehicles could be powered from the electric grid, at night, without
adding any new power plants
    Contrarian note (much like responses to Al): some utility guys say this
isn't so, since a lot of load is moved to nightime by energy intensive
industries; I tend to believe the roport (even if it IS sponsored by
something as sinister as 'industry' - you don't have to be a Thomas Kuhn or
Karl Popper expert to realize most 'scientific research' out there is likely
tainted by someone's bias) - something I'd like to learn more about.
    Nevertheless, Electric may be the best resource for the coming energy
tightening, globally and esp. here in the US where we use so much of it.
    So, inconveniences aside, perhaps making electric drive more convenient,
hoping for something better than heavy lead acid (those Firefly batteries
would sure be nice, presumably not so pricey as Lithium) seems to be the
order of the day (and getting ev's out there for people to have as a serious
option).

TaTa for now,

Seth

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:15:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: National Science Foundation's EV Cafe'
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

The National Science Foundation sponsors the Arlington Cafe Scientifique which
it bills as "A Place to Eat, Drink and Talk About Science." On March 6th the
Cafe' Scientifique invites Dave Golstein, President of the Electric Vehicle
Association of Washington, DC to speak about the science behind electric cars.
Participants are encouraged to get there early to see the cars including MIT's
enterent to the Tour de Sol in 1994 called the AZTEC. The AZTEC is a commuter
class solar assisted electric vehicle built out of super light weight composite
materials and aerodynamically shaped. There will also be Joseph Lado's EV SOL,
an electric car converted in 1993 from a Pontiac, Fiero base. Mr. Lado's bright
yellow vehicle sports standard household type solar panels that are
incorporated into the front hood and back deck and is used on a daily basis to
commute to and from work powered only by electricity from a regular 110 volt
household outlet. There will be other electric cars as
 well, so come and
visit. The event will be held at the National Science Foundation, 4201 Wilson
Blvd, Arlington VA 22230, with light hors d'oeuvres being served by The Front
Page restaurant where you can also purchase drinks and a meal if you wish.

Cafe' Scientifiques normally begins with a short presentation and are followed
by Q&A. No science background required and it is free and open to the public.

Science makes many things possible, including alternative fuels and modes of
personal transportation.  But are they a reasonable alternative for the average
consumer?  When does "alternative" become "mainstream?"   Goldstein and other
electric vehicle experts and users will discuss the science behind electric
cars, such as fuel cells and battery technology, and some of the issues
surrounding their use and acceptance.

 Cafe Scientifque flourished first in the U.K. (see
http://www.cafescientifique.org) as a way for the public and scientists to
mingle and discuss science issues in an informal setting.  At least 35 cafés
now exist in the U.S. The National Science Foundation initiated Café
Scientifique (Arlington) and its occasional cousin in Washington D.C. in April
2006 to make science more accessible and accountable by featuring speakers
whose expertise spans the sciences - and who can talk in plain English.
Generally held on first Tuesdays at the Front Page.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Battery load tester
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

John and all,

  Here is a response I posted a while back for a guy wanting to test 6 volt
batteries.

  "I never liked the "hot wire in water" method.  So I use large power
resistors.  MECI has some for cheap.

http://www.meci.com/index.php

  Look under resistors, under braking.  There is a 0.069 Ohm resistor for $7.
It is probably rated about 1000 watts.  By the time you add cable resistance,
you will be close to 75 amps.  Who cares if it is 69 or 81 amps?  Use the same
set up on a known good battery and same for the ones in question and compare
times.  I use an old forklift contactor, but you could get by without that.  I
would use some type of disconnect, like an Anderson, so you not fussing with a
nut and bolt to disconnect battery.  Things will get hot.  You'd also have to
fab up a support for the resistor.  Laying it on a piece of wood will probably
get smokey.  Put two resistors in parallel and it will cut your test time
down."

  You can buy multiple resistors and configure in series or parallel to suit
your needs.  I have used these for 6 volt thru 48 volt batteries and packs
using just the contactor.  I also configured a set of 24 resistors to test
packs up to 400 volts and 400 amps, but built an IGBT converter to control
current and turn it on and off.  The large high voltage set was housed in a
steel cabinet with fans.

  My opinion is to make a decent tester which you can count on to be
repeatable.  The low voltage version does not require a lot of $ or work.

  Jeff

John O'Connor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I've seen people post numerous times about the coat hanger in water
as a load and I have to ask; Is there anything else involved with
this method other than
1 bucket of water and
1 coat hanger with wires connecting it to battery + and - ?

Haw do you make the final connection without excessive sparking?

What is the max voltage you can do this with in relative safety?

On Feb 21, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Don Cameron wrote:

> I have two load testers. The typical 12V battery tester that has
> heating
> elements in a metal case combined with a voltmeter - its for 12V
> but I am
> sure will work for 8V. Purchase it at your local auto store.
>
> The other one I have is a couple of coils of coat hanger I immerse
> into a
> bucket of water. Gives me a nice 100A draw, but a little difficult
> to lug
> around.

---------------------------------
It's here! Your new message!
From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>,
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "SFEVA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lester Charger for free.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:38:42 -0800

I have an 84v(hear tell this can be changed) Lester charger.  No cover.
Maybe someone can repair and use this unit.  Free for the taking.  Lawrence
Rhodes
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:01:43 -0800
From: "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: A123 to get more expensive? was RE: Torqeedo Power
lithium-manganese

If I remember correctly, A123 is a lithium iron phospohate battery and
does not use manganese.

On the other hand, I heard that Altair Nano just went from cobalt to
manganese but their breakthrough is in the titanate material and so
they can go back to cobalt or some other chemistry as needed.

--
www.electric-lemon.com
From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:14:47 -0800

I visited MDI's factory in southern France somewhere in 2000 and although
they had a few cars running and some brilliant minds, they were focussing on
the wrong problem and ignoreing the basic laws of thermodynamics which say
that expanding compressed air absorbs heat, lots of it. (It is available
when compressing it, that they already knew ;-)
Result is that although their vehicles worked and had lots of innovative
ideas and were extremely light-weight (composite body with alu tube frame,
glued together) and the kevlar-wrapped pressure tanks were lightweight and
strong, they could never run their engines very long or they would freeze
up.
Efficiency was also horrible, because the only way to get good return of
energy from high pressure is to reduce it in steps in ever increasing volume
cylinders, having a heat exchanger between each to increase temp and reduce
the freezing problem. I know it is difficult to build a motor with different
sized cylinders, but ignoring this and building a motor with a single
decompression step means wasting most of the energy in the air carried
along, so it is not used efficiently. Learn or die are the options.
But they did not want to hear these advices, so they suffered and I have not
seen their cars in commercial operation, even though they claim they had big
contracts (to be delivered in 2001 or so) with Mexico City to replace a
large fleet of taxi's and clean up the air.

Of course a careless film crew can take the statement "can recharge while
driving" and turn it around to make it something that was never claimed.
EV's get the same treatment often. I wonder if anybody from Tesla was asked
the question about reliability of the Roadster. Too bad I missed the show.