  1) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Car and Driver pulls through for Plasma Boy!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: PFC 20 thermal compensation
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Contactor controller control?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Tango lane splitting
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Should I buy 2 more batteries?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Lane splitting is specifically (by name) allowed in California, as per the DMV website: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

The CA motorcycle operators handbook also mentions this.

I have several thousands of miles of motorcycling experience in California, and I've split lanes with CHP and municipal police either directly in front of or behind me; they were also splitting the lane. By splitting, I mean having your tires ON the line.

Also, the link you post mentions the legality of lane splitting in California.

In any case, lane splitting isn't recommended on medium to large bikes; the mirrors stick out too far. I wouldn't try it with a Tango, as I couldn't twitch my handlebars or lean the bike (w/o turning) to miss someone's mirror.

James Allgood wrote:
Lane splitting is illegal in all 50 states, so Tango cannot "split" lanes, ie. straddle the lane boundry, anywhere in the US, just like motorcycles. You will be cited for unsafe lane change or straddling if the cop can catch you. It should be able to lane share, but only if it stays within one lane, and only changes lanes every 100ft, just like a motorcycle. For more than 7 years, every day, rain or shine, I split and share lanes and can tell you with two wheels I can stay legal about 80-90% of the time. With 4 wheels it would be nearly impossible not to straddle. Motorcycles are allowed to drive abreast in 42 states, but only California has no law prohibiting motorcycles to share a lane with a car. I am a big proponent of lanesharing and the positive effect on reducing congestion, but from what I have seen of the width I would not share lanes in the Tango. But I would love to watch one try. Just keep an eye on your six and let faster splitters go by.

Take a look what motorcyclist have to say about this very topic:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186134

About the magazine article, I wrote:

I'll be making a last hour phone call to the magazine tomorrow, to see if they'll send me some sort of snippet from the article, or perhaps one of the many color photos from it, that I can reproduce for a large sized stand-up for the show this weekend.

I can't say enough good words about everyone I've been in contact with at Car and Driver. I followed through and called the editors up this morning and made my plea to get 'something' about the article to put on display at this weekend's Portland Roadster Show. Tonight after returning home from a l-o-n-g work day, I opened my email and found a stunning hi rez photo with the official 'Car and Driver' red, white, and blue logo on it, of Tim in White Zombie at PIR absolutely roasting the hides! I like to think I take pretty damn good digital photos, but after seeing what photographer Morgan Segal captured, well, I now realize what a really good photographer can do! I don't have confirmation that this photo made it to the final cut for the article, but I bet it did. The photo is clear enough that you can see Tim's focused look through his helmet opening, as if he's ready to kill!

Looks like we'll have a pretty fun display for folks to see this weekend.

See Ya........John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Jeff,

Adding new batteries to an aging pack will only work if you are also adding
regulators, otherwise you are setting the whole pack up to get out of
balance again real soon.
Do you have zener regs on them already? That is the minimum required to
survive different aged batteries and keep them together.

BUT - only add new batts if you have tested the remaining batteries to have
good capacity, otherwise you better buy an entire new pack.

Success,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

    #8 and #9 are at 11.1 and 11.2  :-(

I am interpreting this as most my batteries are in the 40-50% SOC range
(since this is an off-throttle voltage and will rise a little if i waited) I
am interpreting #8 and #9 to be at 0%!

The goal is just to commute the 14ish miles a day.

Floodeds are not different from other lead acid chemistries in the principle
of changing voltage with temp.
The absolute values vary a little with the different battery types (even
between brands of the same type) but the temp compensation is universal.
Colder = higher charge voltage.

Regards,

    #8 and #9 are at 11.1 and 11.2  :-(

I am interpreting this as most my batteries are in the 40-50% SOC range
(since this is an off-throttle voltage and will rise a little if i waited) I
am interpreting #8 and #9 to be at 0%!

The goal is just to commute the 14ish miles a day.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- At the All Harley Drag Racing Association meets we go to with the KillaCycle, we are faster than 2/3 of all the bikes that compete. Only very few bikes (of any brand or type) running pump gasoline are going faster than we are.

Generally, you have to modify even the fastest stock bikes to get into the 9's. They typically extend the swing arm, run a slick, and change the rear sprocket (at a minimum.) A 100% stock bike has a very tough time getting into the 9's. You just can't hold the front end down with the stock swing arm.

You also have to keep in mind that the gas guys have been drag racing for over 50 years. Electrics have been drag racing for less than 20 years.

In a bracket race, I actually have had someone say, "Oh crap, they paired me up against the electric."

Bill Dube'

At 07:29 PM 2/27/2007, you wrote:
GWMobile wrote:

[...]

John has poured his heart and soul into the Zombie and it shows.  I
have no doubt he will hit 11's this year.  But step back a minute.
How much re-engineering of that car has he done?  How can you really
compare it to an ICE drag car?  Imagine John had *not* been an EVer,
and instead simply dropped a crate V-6 into his little Datsun years
ago.  Isn't his current EV a bit more elaborate than a typical engine
swap?  What if he then spent all that time developing a V-6 Zombie -
what would he be running now?  Low 10's?  High 9's?  And probably for
far less money.

The performance differential gets even more stunning with motorcycles.
For quite a while Bill's Killacycle, the meanest, baddest, full-gonzo
electric motorcycle on the planet, was running 9.8 at 150 mph.  About
the same as a bone stock Suzuki GSXR 1000 (9.77 at 148.7 per
Motorcyclist magazine).

If you really want to showcase the difference between EV and ICE, you
need to put them on an even playing field.  So let's tweak the
road-racing-oriented Suzuki a bit for the drag strip.  We'll give it a
solid rear frame wrapped around a huge wrinkle-wall slick, lower it a
few inches, add some wheelie bars and optimize the gearing, just like
the Killacycle.  Now you're crowding (or beating) Bill's new record of
8.76.

Notice we haven't changed the engine at all.  It still has its smooth
idle, whisper quiet exhaust, original air box, stock cam timing and
fuel injection map.  Once you get into engine mods you can pull *way*
over 200 hp out of a GSXR.  That's not a typo.  (Stock, it makes 160
hp.)  Do the math.

The point is that head-to-head comparisons with ICE vehicles is not
the point.  By all means be enthusiastic about the future of EVs.
Support the racers that do so much to advance the breed, because
they're doing a fabulous job.  Do not get carried away.  There have
been too many disappointments, over-hyped claims and broken promises
about EVs in the past.

Things really *are* looking up these days.  We don't need to inflate
our abilities anymore.  Maybe we can't beat the ICEs heads up, but
this is a type of racing that is in its infancy.  The message is the
incredible progress we're making.  And that viability on the track
means viability on the road.

I object to lane splitting because

1. It puts me at risk of an accident or it puts my car at risk of being damaged and the motorcyclist may drive on or blame me. Someone else doesnot have the right to you me in such danger or circumstance anymore than I have the right to make you stand on the edge of a buildings roof.

2. It is a result of someone who feels they can jump the line. Impatience, rudeness, superiority, uncivilized behavior, flauting the law, being an $#%hole call it what you will but lane splitting is all about the motorcyclists putting his desires ahead of others.

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 9:14 pm, john fisher wrote:
Me too. My wife hates it from the car's POV, I used to do it all the time. Car drivers also don't realize the level of contempt that motorcyclists have for their driving skills. That said, the current craze for stunting is giving everybody on two wheels a bad name. ditto loud pipes. I do think the use of sportbikes' amazing acceleration regularly startles drivers. Riders should be careful, riding among cars is already like bicycling in a buffalo herd, its not wise to stampede them.

John Fisher

Steve Condie wrote:
The emotional response people have to lane splitting interests me. My wife feels the same way, and I struggle to understand why. I think it's a response to being startled. Ironically, if lane splitting were more common don't think it would arouse the kinds of negative responses it does now, because people wouldn't be surprised by having a motorcycle slip by, whereas now it's a combination of a fast, noisy object suddenly appearing where you don't expect it - and a certain amount of jealousy caused by the fact that you're stuck there in traffic and they're not. Seriously - lane splitting isn't going to cause the downfall of Life As We Know It.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- oh please, racing is always about the money and the ego, it is neccessary but not sufficient to have both to win.
The exceptions just prove the rule.
I wondered early on the list "are EV's just a rich man's hobby?"
Well racing them certainly is.

That EV's can go fast (for a short time) was never in doubt, ask any R/C racer. But let's get a reality check, how many times have I read on the list telling people to coast to stops in their ev's, but try not to piss off too many people doing it, going 55 when everyone else is going 70, take off the EV sticker on the car so you don't get EVs a bad rep for being slow, etc, etc.

If you want to change perceptions, build EVs that actually solve the real world problems of range, maintaince, charging, conversion cost and effort, etc, etc.

jack

GWMobile wrote:

> The day the majority of hotrodders realize an
electric vehicle can kick
> their $#% is the day that electric vehicles will
start to really take
> off.

It's good to be up to date on the list for the first
time in many
months and be able to contribute again.

The sentiment above is one I had myself when I was
new to EVs, even
though I have some experience at a pretty high level
of professional
(ICE) racing.  It's easy to get caught up in the
excitement of showing
the world how EVs really are viable.  But let's not
go too far.
Beating an ICE with a comparable EV is very hard, if
not impossible
(so far).  Of course "comparable" is very difficult
to define.

The top guns in the EV racing world are John
Wayland's White Zombie,
Bill Dube's Killacycle and Dennis Berube's Current
Eliminator.  I
don't know much about rail dragsters, so better not
to comment on
Dennis' amazing achievements.

Never miss an email again!

Jack,

I am not sure that you actually read my message.
You can replace bad lead-acid batteries (I did it myself)
but you need to know the rest is OK.
Adding new batteries to a dead pack is not going to do anybody any good,
so assuming that the majority of his batts are OK, he will only need to
replace the stinkers.
But if he measures the rest and every battery is marginal or worse,
then his pack is dead and better replaced now than buying one or two
batteries every month until the whole pack is replaced anyway.
(Buying a bulk has better price than single retail units)

When the batts are not old, then replacing the stinkers should do the trick.
Since the absence of a BMS can cause unbalanced, reversed and hurt
batteries,
it was my suggestion to add at least zener regs to make sure his pack stays
in balance, so he can actually get the 400 give or take full cycles.

Without some sort of BMS, the lead-acid usually gets unbalanced after
about 100 cycles, lots of people murder their pack around 5,000 miles.
Live and learn.

Cor van de Water wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Adding new batteries to an aging pack will only work if you are also
> adding regulators, otherwise you are setting the whole pack up to get
> out of balance again real soon.
> Do you have zener regs on them already? That is the minimum required
> to survive different aged batteries and keep them together.
>
> BUT - only add new batts if you have tested the remaining batteries to
> have good capacity, otherwise you better buy an entire new pack.
>
> Success,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

--- Begin Message --- I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on this one. Let me start it off. (Disclaimer: I am not a racer of either variety of vehicle.)

On Feb 27, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Chris Tromley wrote:

Beating an ICE with a comparable EV is very hard, if not impossible
(so far).

Beating an ICE with an EV seems to be pretty straightforward when you're bracket racing. Perhaps this (if true) is because EVs are subject to fewer variables that impact their performance, making them easier to predict.

Of course "comparable" is very difficult to define.

I think this is the problem in a nutshell. You say that EVs can't beat comparable ICEs. I believe that they can and will, given a fair definition of "comparable".

As far as heads-up racing, I would be interested to see how various types of "comparable" cars would do against each other. Who would you pick as the winner in the following races?

1) ICE vs. EV of equal hp
2) ICE vs. EV of equal timeslip (duh)
3) ICE vs. EV of equal cost
4) ICE vs. EV of equal weight
5) ICE vs. EV that puts out the same amount of noise
6) ICE vs. EV that puts out the same amount of C02
7) ICE vs. EV that have the same number of Kwhrs on board
8) Insert your own comparison category here

I'm not sure about 3) (John has written about owners of gasser racers being shocked at how little he has spent on White Zombie to achieve his timeslips), and I'm pretty sure that EV energy density compared to gasoline would handicap the EV in 4) and 7). But otherwise, it looks like the advantage goes to the EV. Theoretically, anyway, since we don't have a lot of EVs that compare to the fastest ICE vehicles.

Did I miss something?

Imagine John had *not* been an EVer,
and instead simply dropped a crate V-6 into his little Datsun years
ago.  Isn't his current EV a bit more elaborate than a typical engine
swap?

From my point of view, his (any) EV is quite a bit less elaborate than any ICE. Just compare the number of moving parts.

Or compare the number of systems he removed vs. the number of systems he put in. The White Zombie no longer has a transmission, exhaust system, lubricant pumping system, air intake, and probably others I haven't thought of. He swapped a gas engine for an electric motor, and a gas tank for a battery pack, and a fuel metering system (carb/fuel injection system) for a Zilla.

What do you mean by "elaborate"? Are you talking about the number of changes to a stock ICE required to make it go fast, as in your Suzuki motorcycle example? That's not a fair comparison! For one thing, there aren't any stock EVs to speak of! If you're comparing the race car to the stock version, you have to start with a "stock" EV. These days, that would most likely be an EV conversion.

Let's compare White Zombie to a comparable daily driver EV conversion. How many changes did John need to go from Blue Meanie to White Zombie? Would it be comparable to dropping a V6 into a piston-powered Datsun 1200? I don't know; does anyone else? (John Wayland probably does.) Pull the tranny, swap the ADC 9incher for the Siamese 8, beef up the driveline, put in a lighter pack.

The point is that head-to-head comparisons with ICE vehicles is not the point.

I don't see why not.  It depends on the categories you're comparing.

ICE racing contains many categories, most of which aren't compared to each other. (Is this correct? I wouldn't expect funny cars to be compared to rail dragsters to pro stockers.) Yet head-to-head comparisons still happen, inside the compatible categories.

Once we get enough EV racers out there to start to figure out how to fairly compare them to ICE racers, I think we'll see a lot more embarrassed ICE racers.

It looks like we come to the same basic conclusion - I just didn't agree with the way you got there :)
--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jack,

Not sure what you see as the problem, I certainly do not see the awareness
of the difference in energy consumption between doing 55 and 70 as a
problem. That EVs are so efficient that you can clearly see the difference,
while a gasser is so inefficient that the difference is hardly noticeable,
only some small change in the margin of the enormous inefficiency, is only a
benefit of the EV to me.
So, my choice to drive efficiently and maximize my range and reduce the
number of kWh that I need to buy at night is not a problem for me, so I need
no solution.
(And yes, I will stay in the right lane when going slow and if I go in the
carpool lane I will speed up to at least 65 where that is the limit)

What do you see as problem?