  1) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Blind EV's
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Rich man's hobby?
        by "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Looking for Electric Mower Suggestions for 1 acre
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV vs. ICE
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Blind EV's
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: KillaCycle YouTube video over 33,000 views
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE:
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: A few new KillaCycle photos (battery assembly)
        by "C. Dreike, Advantage Automation, Inc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) EV competition classification question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Battery Woes
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Airlabcorp nmih batteries
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV vs. ICE (was: Re: May issue of Car and Driver confirmed)
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Purpose-built, stripped of comforts?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Weight Distribution for Pickup Trucks
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Feb 28, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Roger Stockton wrote:

John mentions that one could reproduce the Zombie for about $18K;
subtract the cost of the donor car ($1K or less?), and this leaves about $17K spent on peformance mods. I've mentioned my buddy's Duramax diesel
pickup (4 door, fully-loaded 4x4); I don't know how much he's invested
in the performance mods, but it is certainly a fraction of the $17K
available and he has run mid 12's on street tires with this daily
driver.

Didn't he just dump around 35k for the vehicle to start with? He seems to be better off than most of the EV racers.

Sorry, but that bothered me because the cost of a vehicle is the cost of the complete vehicle (conversion costs for EVs aren't magically separate.)

Paul "neon" G

I drive the sidewalks as a "scooter". Not a "mobility" scooter, as my
vehicle weighs more like a pedal bicycle, and can be as quick as a
pedal bicycle vs the speed-limited mobility scoots.

The "noise" I've been using is the "snap" of the sprung hand brake
handles with a quick squeeze and release. Something familiar to folks,
and accepted as a "wake up" EVerywhere pretty readily, I find.

I appeciate the quiet of EVs. Don't ask me to add any noise-makers. The

sidewalk scooter rider you met with was just being rude. Make the rude
ones sling a cow bell around their neck or something. The vast majority
of mobility scoot riders are respectful of their fellow travellers and
slow down as appropriate. They don't even see themselves as being in
any EV vanguard. They are just using their EVs to get buy.

BTW, if you haven't "driven" a mobility scoot, you have been missing
out. Seriously, you call yourself an EV-driver? Grab a mobility scoot
(good for 400lbs or so of rider and gear) plus your significant other
and a picnic, and hit the trails! Beach. Lakes shore. Whatever.
Mobility scoots are great picnic machines. If you understand life in
the slower lanes...

tks

Lock
Totonto
human-electric hybrid pedestrian

--- Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was sort of in agreement with the complaints (EVs shouldn't make
> noise).
>
> An event happened today that made me think that, perhaps, EVs should
> make
> noise. I was walking down the sidewalk when a personal mobility
> (totally
> silent electric) scooter nearly knocked me down.
>
> Maybe they should put noise makers on these things... starting with
> their members??? <g>

EVs might be called a rich mans hobby as an EV is often a second or a third car.
Cars in general are expensive, though. Calculate a total cost per month for the
purchase
price plus maintenance plus fuel plus insurance, and you may be surprised how
much any car
costs you to use on a monthly basis. Insurance is an annual or semi-annual
cost. Fuel is
weekly or daily cost. Service costs are supposed to be regularly.
Roads and city planning are built around car transport so they are often seen
as a
necessity, especially by Americans and Europeans.

Steve -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: February 28, 2007 3:50:46 PM EST
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Blind EV's

Paul G. wrote:

> Didn't he just dump around 35k for the vehicle to start with?
> He seems to be better off than most of the EV racers.
>
> Sorry, but that bothered me because the cost of a vehicle is the cost
> of the complete vehicle (conversion costs for EVs aren't magically
> separate.)

I'm sure opinions will vary, but mine is that it is fairest to compare
based on the amount invested in *modifying* the chosen vehicle.  John
took a bone stock Datsun 1200 and about $17K later has White Zombie;
starting with a lower-cost donor certainly keeps the total invested
lower, but it doesn't alter the fact that it took about $17K in
modifications to get the Datsun 1200 to its present level of performance
as an electric.

It seems to me that John agrees with this as he made a point of
describing his investment in the the Zombie and its performance relative
to "muscle car guys and import tuners that have poured $25,000+ into
their machines".

Hey all you EV people out there 8^)

I'll confess to about 20 of those clicks but that
amount says it being viewed by average people so way
cool, it has to make you feel pretty good.

I just tossed Bill some pics of the resulting damage
from that video.  The real reason I wanted to chime in
here was the Hot Rod article that talked about the
video and it ending with the destruction of the
motors.  Actually there is surprisingly little damage
for the most part and generaly in the brush rigging.
I'm hoping that the Nomex spring shields will protect
them from Bills bad batteies.  Being this is the first
full motor I've seen of Bill's it's given me some
additional insight into where the weak areas are
concerning insulation.  One way or another we'll get
picters up and you can see where the field insulation
has been burnt by the arcing, shows just how hot that
arc is but the expensive parts, the arm and coils are
untouched.

BTW Bill it takes me longer to put pics up because I
add captions, and I chicken peck LMAO!
And then people like Brian Hall call me telling me
that UPS broke a motor he'd shipped and for me to drop
everything and fix it up NOW!  I said yes sir Mr.
President I'll just drop KillaCycle, and Lawless'
motor and jump right on that, LMAO!!  I got that
sucker out same day!
I'm banking on it's not what you know but who hehehe!
Anyway When I finish will KillaMotor I'll do a
detailed post for all you sicko's looking for blood
and guts and molten metal.
Fun stuff for a motor dork 8^)
Cya

PS: I see you made some niffty shields also, looks
like you'll be pretty set for your next meet.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

HI-
John, you are rich. Maybe not with stacks of money,but in all the ways that
count.
FT.

And that doesn't include the many dozens of volunteer hours and sponsorships
involved including a new battery pack sponsored each year.  Add it up and if
you had to pay for it all, racing is indeed not cheap if you want
performance.

> It seems to me that John agrees with this as he made a point of
> describing his investment in the the Zombie and its performance relative
> to "muscle car guys and import tuners that have poured $25,000+ into
> their machines".

Junior Johnson said it best:
"The way to make a small fortune in racing is to begin with a large fortune."

Bill Dube'

At 07:30 PM 2/28/2007, you wrote:
HI-
John, you are rich. Maybe not with stacks of money,but in all the ways that
count.
FT.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm sure the A123's are not cheap. Could you give us a flavor for the cost of 800 batteries?

Thanks,
Chris Dreike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Dube" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>