  1) Portland Roadster Show
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Clarification on my high and low voltage on the Festiva
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: PFC 20 thermal compensation and Should I replace 2 batteries
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Processor Lockup Failsafe
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Motor shafts (was: Race Preps for DC Motors)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Better Data Logging Options?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Motor mods
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Race Preps for DC Motors
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Measuring Cable Resistance
        by "Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: My next EV project, or Paul goes Datsun
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Motor mods
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Battery Woes- reverse compensation?
        by "Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Measuring Cable Resistance
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Measuring Cable Resistance
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: electric power newbie
        by "garyH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) a complete list of early patents and inventors from the 1880's when
 the electric wheel hub motor was first invented.
        by Geopilot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) A great breakdown of the cost and efficiencies of an electric wheel
 hub bus vs diesel vs diesel/electric wheel hub hybrid bus.
        by Geopilot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Motor mods (by Mini Me, ROTFLMAO)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Now, I am more confused about EV quality batteries than I have ever
been in the last 10 years
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: My next EV project, or Paul goes Datsun
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Cafe' Scientifique goes Cafe' Electrifique
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Better Data Logging Options?
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Measuring Cable Resistance
 24) Re: Better Data Logging Options?
Hi, all,

At 9 a.m. this morning I set off for the Portland Roadster Show.  Three hours
later, I arrived at the Expo Center in Portland, only to learn that the
Roadster Show was at the Convention Center.  (MIsinformation strikes again.)

Eventually I met up with John and Tim and spent some time at the Convention
Center babbling with the Public.  Had it not been for the excellent
presentation of the White Zombie, including a 52" plasma screen continuously
playing smokeshows and  several different gas cars being thoroughly trounced by
an electric 1200 Datsun, I'm not sure the show would have been worth a
three-hour drive.  It was the same old rehash of what the gas-guzzling crowd
has been doing for the last 50 years.

The White Zombie presentation made a refreshing change.  I enjoyed standing
back watching the "EV grins", as people experienced for the first time the raw
electric torque and the smokeshows electric cars can produce.  These people
were hardened gas devotees, most of whom had no idea an electric car could
stomp all over their fancy V8's.

This year, 2007, should be an exciting year for electric vehicles in general as
well as the electric drag racing scene.  I'm looking forward to seeing what
develops.

- Father Time

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

Steve,

I suggest that you check individual battery voltages while loaded,
immediately after a trip (it may be enough to keep the key on and
the controller running - I have done load-tests by depressing the
parking brake and giving a bit throttle for a short period, but
the best way is to make or buy a 12V load tester (around 50 to 100A)
and test each battery individually.
I think you will find some bad batteries and several may still be good,
in that case you can replace the bad ones.
If they all test bad, you need a new pack.
I have comparable experience when I over-discharged some of my
batteries and they started dropping to 10 and even 8V after just a
bit of discharge - I replaced the bad ones and the pack is fine now.

Please see the other discussion on how and when to test batteries.

Hope this helps,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: My next EV project, or Paul goes Datsun
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:10:49 -0800

>After a successful search for just the right donor car I
>have my next  EV project, a 1966 Datsun 411 wagon. I had a
>preference for a early  small sedan, but its not often you
>get a chance to buy a 41 year old  car with only 92,000
>miles on it. I'm hoping to hear your ideas on how  to help
>it meet my needs. I put up a quickie page with links to
>some  photos of it at:
>
><http://paul-g.home.comcast.net/next.htm>.
>
>My goal is to build a vehicle for my commute and local
>errands. My  commute is short, around 8 miles round trip
>with about 1/2 of it  freeway miles (and yes, I expect to
>keep up.)
>
>What I have in mind is a small pack of AGMs and a suitable
>motor  feeding the stock 4 speed gearbox (its in great
>shape.) This old car is  a bit heavy, at around 2100 lb. It
>is also not the greatest on battery  room. The under hood
>area is about 24 inches by 24 inches and naturally  not all
>of it is available for batteries (mostly the master
>cylinder  cuts into it a little.) In the back, where the
>spare tire sits now with  the fuel tank underneath, I can
>create a space around 29 inches by 24  inches and keep the
>stock load floor in place. Front and rear, depth is  not an
>issue. I'm targeting a pack voltage between 120 and 156
>volts.  Initially I was thinking about using group 31 AGMs,
>but shape of the  available space hints that group 34 AGMs
>(such as the standard YT  Optima or Exide Orbital battery)
>may fit better. I'm open to ideas.
>
>I want to get a new set of wheels and tires on it before I
>tear out the  ICE. Right now its running on 3 P165/80R13
>tires (complete with  cracking side walls) and an old
>5.60-13 bias-ply whitewall tire on the  left front corner
>(that made for some "interesting" handling on the
>freeway.) Wheel selection is somewhat limited but the bolt
>pattern and  required offset is the same as a Geo Metro (4
>lug on a 4.5 inch  pattern, about +38 offset.) My options
>are either 13 inch with the same  P-metric tire size or 14
>inch with either P175/70R14 or P185/65R15.  Anything larger
>than that could present some rear tire fit issues (the
>rear fender wells are designed to maximize the back seat.)
>Ideas here  to minimize wheel weight and tire rolling
>resistance are welcome (but
> >$200 each Panasport wheels are a bit rich for me.)
>
>Enough of me talking. Please check it out and give me your
>ideas!
>
>Paul "neon" G.

Just a reminder to the people in the Arlington, Virginia and
Washington, DC area that the National Science Foundation is having its
Cafe' Scientifique focusing on electric vehicles this month. The Cafe'
is being held on Tuesday from 6 to 9pm at NSF head quarters at 4201
Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, Virginia 22230, Ballston Mall metro. There
will be a bunch of a plug-in Prius from Hymotion, a RAV4 EV, two home
built behicles and the AZTEC, MIT's enterent in the 1994 Tour de Sol.
Dave Goldstein and Charlie Garlow will be the guests of honor. Thank
you.

Could Labview be used as a BMS for lithium cells?

terveisin,
Osmo

Mark Brueggemann kirjoitti 5.3.2007 kello 5.19:

--- Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have been data logging my charge/discharge cycles using
the RS-232 port on my E-meter and an old P75 laptop.
..
My question is, is there a more flexible alternative?

Flexible?  Yes.  But not on a P75.  But in terms of flexibility
you could do a lot of data manipulation with LabView.  It's
a real resource pig, but for what you're trying to do you could
have a really slick app running in no time.  All programming
is done via GUI, just connect the dots and it can do just
about anything you can think of.  It is my future intent to put a
mobile PC in the EV running LabView to do just what you describe,
and more, since it can also do data acquisition, crunch data and
discrete analog/digital I/O.  They have an FPGA based I/O card
that is fast enough to do real time motor control if you want
to take it that far.

http://www.ni.com

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

Well, they make special meters for measuring resistance that is less than
1 ohm.

Or you can pass a known current through it and measure the voltage drop,
then use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance.

> How exactly does one measure the resistance of battery cables?  It is too
> small of an amount to measure with my common multimeter.
>
>         Bruce
>
> Cor van de Water wrote:
>> you need to add the resistance of your cabling.

But Lee, where's the GUI?  :-)