From: "David O'Neel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: BugE again
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:43:10 -0800

>Jerry,
>
>>And you expected different?
>
>Of course not, but due to the lack of information available
>, I have to use what IS available. I may be ignorant, but
>not stupid. Thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy
>inside. If you will look at my very next 3 words you will
>see that.

      Sorry about that but it wasn't my intention. I was
just pointing out how hard, expensive it is to put a vehicle
that works together. And those hrs, materials need to be
paid for in the production or he'd go broke like so many
others have who didn't sell them for enough to stay in
business.
     I've put probably 2,000 hrs into the Freedom EV. Do you
think I should get paid for them? The only way is charging
enough so I make a profit to pay those back who have helped
me and over the next yr or 2, get paid for all those hrs. To
do otherwise is not a good business plan or a way to get a
lot of EV's on the road.
     I've studied most of the past EV companies and it's not
a pretty sight and have corrected their mistakes like not
going deeply in debt, good design, great after sales help
via internet group, multiple targeted groups to buy it and
fool proofing it. So when you look at a product, especially
a low production one, it's normally fairly high cost for the
above reasons.
      To be honest, I could probably get twice the amount
I'm asking by putting them on
E-bay as EV demand is quite high and good no supply as
custom EV's.

>>>It is realistic, but unfortunate...
>
>>Just how many buyers do you think he needs?
>
>Frankly, I don't care how many buyers he needs, but the
>more the better right? I simply stated that with a higher
>price, there will be fewer buyers. Do you disagree?

        No. Nor did I disagree with you that's it's too high
for you. Just what it is.
        He will have a good number of buyers at that price I
believe. More than he probably can build so he is pricing it
to what the market will bear.

>>Others will assemble them probably with improvements.
>
>Yes, this is the whole reason I don't want to buy a
>completed unit since I am willing to sacrifice range for
>speed and power. Thats why I stated in the beginning I want
>to buy a kit. There's no sense in buying parts only to
>replace them right away. That is wasteful.

      That's why I mention some other ways you could go
doing your own for much less money. I've put up many ways
for such low cost EV's. Personally I think some 8" steel
rim, 16" dia tires on a simple front suspension or one from
a larger ATV with a single rear drive wheel on a trailing
arm using a golf cart motor and 3 12v-130 amphr batts, a
simple bent panel aero body could be put together for under
$1k and hit 50 mph and go 60 miles range probably. But you'd
have to put the hrs in on it finding stuff, engineering,
building, testing it where bugE does all that work for you.
So it comes down to do you want to work or pay. Many prefer
to pay.

>>... not the Chinese, ect junk we have now that doesn't
>last more than a couple months.
>
>I have a Chinese motor kit on my bicycle right now and it
>works fine. I've been riding it for over a year and already
>put over 400 miles on it. It works as well as the day I
>installed it. (Wilderness Energy Crystal something motor..)
>In fact, the bike is falling apart around it.

      I'm glad to hear it. It's not the norm though nor is
400 miles very far for an EV.
      And hope it goes another 40,000 miles like my version
above will.

>>... as car costs go thru the roof like they are now.
>
>I can get a brand new Hyundai Accent for about $7500. How
>is that going through the roof? Thats cheap!

       Not if it costs you $200-600/month to park it!! And a
Hyundai doesn't look anywhere near as cool. And it can't
drive pass all that rush hr traffic in the bicycle lane.
There are many places where a moped which this in many
states is that will easily beat a car in a commute. And much
easier to park like in a bike rack, MC space, odd corner and
fairly weather proof. So if it's worth it depends.

 Thats
>basically the same price it was 5 years ago. No I am not
>going to get one even if they are only $5000 or $3000.
>
>>     The difference is running costs.
>
>What about them? You provide nothing to go with that
>statement. To me the running costs are insignificant anyway
>, especially when compared to operating an ICE vehicle. It
>is the initial purchase cost that is the most significant
>cost.
       A well set up light MC EV will easily be lower than
any car in running costs which is little more than battery,
tire costs vs gas, oil, tag, insurance, parking, ect, cost.
Electricity sould be under 35wthr/mile or $.003/mile for
$.10kwhr electricty. Even at 50 mpg that's at least
$.05/mile just in gas and just going higher.

     I'm not saying it's for everyone or even you. In fact I
wonder why you care if you don't like it's price. Wouldn't a
better thing be asking how to buy or do one less expensively
than his?

>I hate to bring this up now, but I can't help but feel that
>participating here on the EVDL is not a fun thing to do. I
>have tried several times to share my (minimal) knowledge
>and opinion, and EVERY time someone comes along with a
>negative attitude to try and discredit me and my *opinion*.

     We were just showing you some facts, nothing more. And
just as you have an opinion, so does most everyone one else.
Add to that  e mail is a rather hard to express form makes
it seem more harsh than it is.
     But we are here to give facts to EVer's so most any
piece of info is questioned, many times just to inform
others who are reading a post of the details. My answers are
actually more for others than the postee, explaining things
more deeply, like how hard it really is to do an EV
business, that some postee's take the wrong way.
     Any good info, training takes work and the EVDL is a
Uni level education in EV's.

>I have belonged to many online forums, but this is unique
>to this list. I can see why many of the long-time
>professional EVers I know do not participate. I think I
>will follow their example: read, but do not write. It's too
>bad it took me this long to figure it out.

     It's a milder one than other lists I'm on. Real
professionals like the list on technical terms. Most who are
not on it just can't take the time to keeps up.
     But you get out of it what you put in I've found. If
you are here to learn the correct way to do EV's, it's a
great list.
                                 Jerry Dycus

>Regards,
>Dave O.

It's a very practical & sturdy car.  5 people fit.  It's all metal except
for the crappy front map holder.  I replaced mine with ABS plastic.  Looked
like stock.  Wayland would approve.  My girl at the time made me get rid of
it.  I regret it to this day.  Simple and durable.  I replaced the rearend
on it myself.  Lawrence Rhodes....