  5) Re: Minn Kota Chargers?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Auburn Kodiak repair or schematics
        by Joe Buford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: DC-DC converter - Astrodyne
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: DC-DC converter
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) car (and current) surges while driving
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: car (and current) surges while driving
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Catapillar Drive? WAS Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Zilla options
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Catapillar Drive? WAS Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Zilla options
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Zilla options
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) New Nanocomposite Creates Capacitors Storing Twice as Much Energy
        by Geopilot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Zilla options
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DC-DC converter
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: OT Catapillar Drive?
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Dead start acceleration issues
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Timothy Balcer wrote:
Just to toss on, it's too bad homopolar motors are so inefficient. :)

Homopolar motors aren't inefficient. It's just harder to build efficient ones. They intrinsically have one turn coils, which means they are necessarily low voltage, high current machines. They also need brushes (actually slip rings). At low operating voltages, it is difficult to prevent the brushes from consuming most of the power.

High efficiency homopolar motors use things like superconducting magnets or extremely high rpm to get the voltage of their one-turn coils up to reasonable levels, or use liquid metal brushes (like mercury) to get the brush loss down.

Agreed, on paper the C4 would be a better choice, its lighter, even
better brakes/handling.  But I already have a C4/LT4, and the C3
looks more "futuristic". (this ain't about practical...)

I will be documenting the conversion with camera, but will probably not
get around to publishing on a website till its finished (the
documentation  is always the last thing to be written...)

> > Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:25:09 -0700
> From: Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: Re: corvette conversion
>
> Hi Steve, as you know I think the vette is a good choice although my
> choice would be the C4. The AC55 looks like a good motor.  It doesn't
>
> have the best power/weight, but not many other options for AC.
> The lack of feedback means you are likely a trail blazer here, which
> is
> a good thing, who needs another lead-sled pickup truck :)
>
> Not to discount the value added of electroauto but it's a pricey
> package.
> If you want to get it done quickly, that is probably the best option.
>
> I'm certainly interested in seeing the progress, but sure to get a
> wepage going for it.

This is a MUST SEE

Eco- Humor ?  or Eco -Activism ?

(wonder if there is a Seattle Chapter yet..)

http://oea.freedomfromoil.org/the_video/

Initially ran across this on the CalCars News Feed, on pictures and
commentary from the San Francisco "Step it UP" Rally..

(Wonder how much the T-Shirts are ?? )
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Rob,

I'm using the Astrodyne SD350D-12 (350 watt).  It doesn't seem to have
enough wattage.  If I trim the output to high 13's to low 14's voltage
the unit will kick out if I try to turn on all accessories.  (My problem
though might be my cheap battery that I'm using as the auxiliary.)  If I
turn down the output to 12.8v it won't kick out but I feel like my
headlights aren't as bright as they could be.

Rich

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 08:44 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> All,
>
> Does anyone have experience with the Astrodyne SD-150D-12 DC/DC
> converter (spec http://datasheet.astrodyne.com/SD150.pdf)?
>
> I'm considering using it for my conversion.  Any input is appreciated.
>
> Rob
> RAVolt.com / EVAlbum 995

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- if you google the marine and sailboat sites there are some other brands too. Apparently its common to have battery strings and battery maintenance problems in the offshore boating world. At least judging by the products offered.
I too like the promise of ruggedness - whats worse than a salt-water sailboat?

JF

Does anyone know where I can get an Auburn Scientific
Kodiak C600 repaired or get the schematic to repair it
myself?
Joe

The Astrodyne unit looks like another rebranded Meanwell:

http://www.meanwell.com/search/SD-150/default.htm

It's the "baby brother" to the SD-350 I mentioned earlier, but it doesn't shut off the output on overload. Make sure to look at the output derating curves over temperature. Even at full power, 150 watts isn't much - typical headlights run 110-130 watts.

I'd also be careful with mounting. The "enclosure" isn't much better than an open frame. It would be very easy for water, bugs, etc. to get inside and start some damage.

-Adrian

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:39:17 -0700, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Adrian DeLeon wrote:

With a higher voltage pack it's definitely in the inexpensive/cheap
category. Keep it dry... The 270,000 hour MTBF ain't bad, and you could
blow up quite a few before you hit $1,500 for an "EV DC/DC".

Got to love this attitude!

Little problem is it's kind of OK for yourself, but if you make
an EV for others, you can't offer that. That's what real DC-DCs
are for.
<snip>
So, happy blowing stuff! Let us know when you'll get tired of it.
Victor

Not exactly an attitude, it's reality. If you're on a shoestring budget it's not always possible to fork over $$$ for an "EV grade" DC/DC converter.

There are also cases like mine, where I can't find an "EV grade" DC/DC that covers my pack voltage AND current requirements. I'll have to find a "non EV" converter that handles my pack voltage and take extra care to make sure I don't violate any electrical or environmental limits.

The end result CAN be a reliable, long lasting unit. It may require adding circuitry, heatsinks, fans, and paying special attention to weatherproofing, etc. You can't just toss any old DC/DC under the hood and expect it to work flawlessly, but you CAN find generic DC/DC converters that can be adapted to EV use. The lower up front cost translates into additional labor and design work for the installer. It's a *lack* of this additional work that causes stuff to "blow up".

Looking on the EV Album, there are lots of "non EV" DC/DC units being used with varying success. Most are in personal conversions, but others are in Sparrows and other built-for-sale EVs.

I see a bunch of Vicor units, IOTAs, and even a few of the Meanwell converters we have been discussing in this thread. One pickup uses the Meanwell SD-350 with great success, even though it latches the output off in the event of a fault. Care would have to be taken to make sure the output current limit is NEVER reached. Another uses the SD-200 and calls it "broken", probably due to a combination of thermal derating and the same output shutoff behavior.

I see similar results with controller choices. Lots of Curtis controllers are being used because they are relatively inexpensive and available. Not everyone can afford an AC system or a Zilla. But properly taken care of, a Curtis can last a long, long time. But improper mounting, lack of precharge, or poor heatsinking can greatly reduce thier lifespan and make them "blow up".

-Adrian

I have a new problem on my car that I cannot figure out, I'm getting
surges while hitting to Go pedal.  I had just done a bit of
maintenance on the batteries, my first time to do this.  Here's the
longer version:

I had just finished up cleaning the battery terminals etc in the front
half of my car (after having replaced the battery with the melted
post) and I took it out on a short errand even though I wasn't quite
finished with the job (7 more batteries in the back to do, but these
connections had just recently been tightened.)  Not too far down the
block I experienced a surge in speed, and also the ammeter.  It wasn't
a huge surge, but enough to make me worry about an intermittant
connection and decide to go back home.  In the course of going around
the block, I experienced about 3-4 surges.  Since then, I checked all
my connections and I can't find anything loose, or melted, or
otherwise ugly.  What could this be?  Should I not be driving it?

Here's the background on what all I've done to the car lately.

1.  Melted a battery post, so replaced the battery.  Car sat for a month.
2.  Charged up pack per instructions on list
3.  Car would not "start" so I had to charge up the 12V battery (twice.)
4.  Cleaned the battery terminals on 8 batteries in the front of the car.

Here is my procedure for each battery (I'd like any
pointers/improvements on this as well)

1.  Remove one cable and corresponding nuts and bolts from battery.
2.  Clean nuts/bolts in baking soda/water, rinsed in water and dried
3.  Clean cable terminals in baking soda/water (some wire brushing on
bad spots), rinsed in water and dried
4.  Use round battery terminal brush on battery terminals to clean
corrosion.  The brush is pretty stiff and roughs up the posts a bit
5.  Spray windex on battery top, wiped off with rag
6.  Put cable back on, put vasoline all over battery post/cable
terminal/nuts/bolts
7.  Tighten up until I can't move the cable at all (husband went back
and tightened a bit more, given that my volleyball team calls me
Noodle Arm)

Any ideas or advice?  Seems like it's always something with these cars...

Marty Hewes wrote:

> Also, do you know what the cable from the throttle
> linkage to the trans does?

I believe that should be the kick-down linkage for passing gear.

> Also, the governer is driven from the driveshaft end, not the
> input shaft, right?

Yes.

> Maybe that's why I hear they have 2 sets of weights.

It's been a while since I looked at one, but I recall only one set of
weights (there are 2 weights to a set).

It is very easy to pull the governer, and you might want to have a peek
yourself just for kicks.  The flyweights 'expand' outwards as the
governer rotates, and in doing so operate a valve.

It would not be particularly challenging to convert this valve to manual
(cable, etc) operation if the road-speed based operation is
inappropriate for EVs, or to alter the weights or spring that they
operate against to change the speed characterisitic of its operation.

Likewise, the vacuum modulator is going to affect the operation of the
tranny by operating some valve controlling the flow of the tranny fluid,
so just ditch the vacuum motor and use a cable or other mechanical
linkage to operate the valve if you can't get by simply tying it in one
position or the other.

> I don't think getting shift points or firmness at
> full acceleration will be too tough, the hot rodders
> have all kinds of ways of tweaking that.
> What might take ingenuity is softening the shifts
> during normal driving without messing up the full
> throttle shifts.  I suspect having no converter
> mass and way less rotating mass in the motor than
> the ICE would have, will reduce the shift shock
> somewhat, but I don't know what the effect will be
> of having no fluid coupling.

I think it may depend on how you go about providing the line pressure.
In a normal application, the pump is spun at engine speed, so pressure
will rise with engine speed until hitting the regulator setpoint.  If
you use an external pump, then you can spin it at whatever speed you
like (more or less) and vary the line pressure independantly of drive
motor speed.

I think your challenges will be with the fundamental shift points
themselves more than the shift quality.  With an ICE you want the tranny
to hold off shifting until a higher RPM under hard acceleration because
the engine makes more torque and power at higher RPM, but the motor in
an EV makes its most torque at low RPMs and peak power at fairly modest
RPM (unless you have pack much higher in voltage than the motor is rate
for).  That said, you're using a tranny that would normally have been
behind a 350ci V8 (for instance), and so even under hard acceleration it
probably still shifted somewhere in the 3000RPM ballpark, which probably
isn't too far above where you would want to shift to keep your electric
motor at peak power.

The other challenge is that for passing gear, the auto tranny downshifts
to second, while passing gear on an EV needs to shift *up*.  Unless you
have high pack voltage relative to the motor rating, the motor won't
draw much current at higher RPM (say 3k+), and so won't have much
torque/power up there.  For normal cruising you might want to spin the
motor in the 4K ballpark for better efficiency (make your HP through RPM
rather than high torque, which means higher current and lower
efficiency) and cooler operation, but you won't have gobs of torque on
tap to overtake with.  If the tranny downshifts when you mat the
accelerator, it'll worsen things since you can only spin up to about
5.5-6K and raising the RPM will reduce the motor torque further.  What
you probably want is to program the tranny to give you a 1-2 shift
somewhere in the 2-3k RPM ballpark and then hold 2nd forever.  If you
mat the accelerator, the "kick down" linkage should force a 2-3 upshift
to reduce motor RPM and allow more current/torque/HP.

Easiest might be to mod the valve body for full manual operation and
shift manually until you figure out exactly what shift points are best
for your motor/battery/controller/gearing/etc., then set it back up for
auto operation.

As far as shift quality, I'd be concerned about ensuring that there
isn't excessive slipping when shifting at low RPM, since the electric
motor could be subjecting the tranny to far more torque than the tranny
expected from the ICE under these conditions.

Homopolar motors aren't inefficient. It's just harder to build efficient
ones. They intrinsically have one turn coils, which means they are
necessarily low voltage, high current machines. They also need brushes
(actually slip rings). At low operating voltages, it is difficult to
prevent the brushes from consuming most of the power.

High efficiency homopolar motors use things like superconducting magnets
  or extremely high rpm to get the voltage of their one-turn coils up to
reasonable levels, or use liquid metal brushes (like mercury) to get the
brush loss down.

I should have been more specific...

Homopolar motors that mere mortals can afford and can be used in a
moving application, such as an EV, are inefficient... or would be,
since using liquid metal contacts doesn't seem like a good strategy
for a car ;)

Also, they are high current, low voltage motors. Just the opposite you
would like to use for motive applications. I know they are used for
pulsed discharge applications quite a bit (rail guns and et al), and
used to be used for electrical welding machines.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- When I have experienced surges it has been in relation to connections made at the controller. Perhaps something is coming loose or getting corroded. I would check all the wiring at the controller and the potbox and test your potentiometer.

damon

From: "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: car (and current) surges while driving