  1) Re: OT: Magnetic fields (Re: magnetic field in EV car?)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: BMS (Battery Management System  (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Sepex regen
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Noodling Lithium prices and batteries
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: How does a 48v motor handle higher voltages?
  9) Re: BMS (Battery Management System  (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
 10) Re: BMS (Battery Management System)
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EMF in EVs (and how to mitigate it)
 12) RE: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile - cruise control
        by "Alan Gideon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile - cruise control
 15) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile
        by Rod Dilkes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
Clarification: I know he said relative but for the less newtonian of us...
    The field polarity is fixed in a dc series wound motor, the
individual armature winding polarity changes as it crosses under the brush.
I too am not an expert, so I invite criticizim (except "man does your
ascii art suck")

Simple explination?
Power flows in two brushes, say at 0 and 180 degrees(positive)  and out
the other 2 brushes, say at 90 and 270 degrees(negative).
All the armature windings are connected in series around the entire armature
As the junction between two windings passes under a brush, it goes from
having a positve brush 90 degrees to it's left and a negative positive
brush to it's immediate right(position 1) to having that Negative brush
to it's immediate left and the other Positive brush 90 degrees to it's
right. (position 2)

Absolute Genius.
Fixed width font

0              90        180          270       360/0

   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
  / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \...Armature coils
[ ] [ ] [ ] [1] [2] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [...CommBars
    ||||      ||||       ||||        ||||
   +brush    -Brush     +brush      -brush
-----+--------> - <---------+--------> - <----------- current flow

I just thought of something, If the magnetic field was large, wouldn't
those with hall effect go pedals would have problems?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have done this kind of IR, (40khz) even outdoors, with as many as 100 nodes this way and no problems. Use a high power IR LED and a modern monolithic detector with a good optical and electronic discriminator and it will most definitely work in a battery box, array, or under the hood. As long as there is something somewhat reflective to the IR (most things are), then you are going to have no trouble. The power from the LED is substantial and will totally flood the area with light. In that environment it is not haphazard and will be very reliable.

If you have batteries in front and back, then you use 2 (or more) sets of transceivers on the master.

The protocol has the master poll the battery modules. They don't talk unless asked. They respond with their temperature, voltage, etc. and get told when to enable the bypass load. If the master "goes away" for any length of time, the load is removed.

The optoisolator with signal wiring seems less reliable to me, in an area where you are likely to have acid fumes and "road" conditions. You'd need to use sealed connectors, and that complicates things a bit. Not to mention the danger of having extra wiring strung around the high-voltage potential array.

The IR design can be potted in an IR transparent resin and then be very mechanically and environmentally rugged. The potting mold can be built so as to actually increase IR scattering and detection.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 May 2007 5:32:37 PM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile

Hi all,

I was just curious if many people on the list have measured their EV's efficiency i.e average watt-hours per mile?

I've heard figures around 300wh/mile thrown around, but that seems like a fair bit of energy to me.. Could that be based on people using the C20 capacity of lead acid to calculate the pack's energy?

-Ian

What study is this?

Most of those studies which have found a significant effect did so by using absurdly high field strengths. Fairly close to putting the lab rats a microwave oven. While I'm sure this is an interesting case for someone, it's not likely to be applicable to everyday use.
Danny