  1) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Siamese8 rub pics up
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Woohoo! just finished homemade capacitive discharge spot battery tab welder
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery - Fuel Cell Hybrid Idea
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Thundersky and calculations
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: NEDRA Featured in July Hemmings Motor News!
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...( and, rotational mass)
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Thundersky and calculations
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...( and, rotational mass)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: aluminum wire for EVs?
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...( and, rotational mass)
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
 19) Re: Tesla roadster motor philsophy
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Motor Adapter plate
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Tesla roadster motor philosophy
John Wayland wrote:

David, there's a brand of DC controller that protects against the above. Every single Zilla controller cannot run without and is mated to, a Hairball interface that provides absolute protection against the full-on runaway you describe. For the record, there's never been a single occurance of this kind of failure in a Zilla, old or new, but just in case in the very unlikely scenario of a Zilla's power stage going into full failure mode and it 'were' to happen, the Hairball's advanced protection features would instantly shut down all power contactors and the vehicle would simply cease to operate...

John, what David meant, the AC inverter itself inherently cannot
run AC motor if it's connected directly to it and to the battery
(no contactors) in case power stage fails. If DC controller's power
stage fails it will run the motor attached to it full speed, and the contactors you mention which hairball drops off is something extra
(outside controller) you must have in order to deal with failed
power stage, unlike AC inverter which doesn't have to rely on external
contactors (which may get stuck by the way).

Point is AC inverter will not run AC motor period.
DC motor WILL run DC motor unless you add extra mechanical
hardware to prevent it from happening.
> On the other hand, a siamesed DC motor and a Zilla Z2K would
right now, effortlessly deliver 0-60 in 3.5 seconds in that car,

Not to spoil it John, but as Roger usually puts it you "conveniently
forgetting" (tm) that, unlike Tesla, WZ has really two motors.

They want to build very good performance car, but not the purposely
race car like yours. It's like comparing different classes.
So it's not quite apples to apples, you know.

... and likely the same 200 miles range because of the DC controller's higher efficiency over the AC inverter's wasteful use of electricity as it passes through 6 times the silicon on its way to making three phase juice for that high revving motor :-)

To let you know, these 6 times more waste represent perhaps 1-2% of overall energy "wasted" to move the car. With 6 times more waste (which is, say 600 watts instead of DC controller's 100 watts while you keep supplying ~10,000 watts to move along) your range may get shorter
by a few feet.

Care to calculate exact number?

See Ya....John Wayland

Victor

'91 ACRX - something different

>AC motors are generally less complex than DC motors.  DC controllers are
>generally less complex than AC controllers.  Seesaw: you are trading
>mechanical complexity for electronic complexity.

Very well-written post (and good follow-ups). My (humble) opinion....

Cost to manufacture mechanicals always seems to go up with time.
Cost of silicon historically has gone down.

-Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- My point is, You *lose* power by doing this, not gain any. If it did gain any "free" power, you have a perpetual motion machine!!!

It takes energy to split the hydrogen out, if you leave that energy in the battery you lose less. Add a resistor across your battery, and that's effectively what such a system would be doing.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 8, 2007 12:06:41 AM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: NEDRA Featured in July Hemmings Motor News!

Hello to All,

So I'm at work, in my forklift wrench mode, and walking past an army of heavy lifting equipment, when one of the warehouseman guys says to me, "Hey, nice write-up on you guys in Hemmings!" I of course, know nothing about what he's talking about, so it comes at me out of left field. The next day, he brings in his July copy of the 3/4 inch thick 'bible' to all gearheads and lovers of collectible cars, and there in living color (a big detailed screen capture of the NEDRA home page takes up a good portion of the page) is a wonderfully written full page story by Mike McNessor, all about the NEDRA web site and electric drag racers entitled 'Fast As Lightning', with the sub-title caption 'National Electric Drag Racing Association's site deserves a plug'

It's surprisingly upbeat and accurate in the details, with well- deserved Kudos to Chip Gribben (though he's not mentioned in name) for the site being 'nicely constructed with professional-looking graphics and logical navigation'. They were jazzed about Killacycle's 8.16 ET, as well as Current Eliminator IV's 8.8 ET. They take the time to info everyone, 'they prefer to be known as ampheads instead of gearheads'. Their only gripe was the 'just two' photos of racing machines currently listed under the photo gallery...they're hungry for more!

They gave the NEDRA web site a four star rating, and the four red stars look impressive even if I don't know how many stars one can earn :-)

Word is getting out!

See Ya.....John Wayland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I agree with Victor on this one. An AC system is inherently much safer than a DC system. A dropped wrench in the right spot can connect the motor to the battery in a DC system and result in full throttle. Shorted silicon will launch the car before the safety logic has a chance to realize what has happened and drop out the main contactors. The contactors open quickly, but far from "instantly."

In an AC system, the controller must be 100% functional for the motor to even turn.

There is only twice the loss in the controller, not six times the loss. There are indeed six switches, but the current flows through just two in series. The voltage is typically twice as high as it is in DC systems, so the current is half as much and thus the losses turn out to be about the same. (The motors folks use in DC cars just can't take the 300+ volts that the AC systems thrive on.)

AC systems often fail in "plug braking" not "lock up". Plug braking is regen. A typical motor in a typical EV is not quite beefy enough to lock up the wheels in plug braking except in icy weather. The plug braking failures are probably going to be one phase rather than three-phase so the plug braking would be typically 1/3 the maximum torque.

GM dumped the two-motor set-up for a bunch of very good reasons. One inverter is cheaper than two and has half the mean time between failures. Plug braking on one side will jerk the car out of control, even if the wheel doesn't lock up. A failed controller on one side that gives zero torque can cause the car to go out of control if you punch the throttle and give full torque to the remaining good motor.

As for range, the lack of regen in the Zilla would obviously allow the AC system (that always has regen) to provide greater range. The acceleration is just a matter of how powerful you make the drive package relative to the weight of the car. There is no inherent limitation on an AC system HP. Ask Bob Rice about the 5,000 HP AC drive systems in locomotives.

Of the DC systems, the Zilla is the finest available by a large margin. However, AC systems have some inherent advantages over DC systems. Safety is one of them. (Cost is not one of them.) If there were not some advantages of an AC system, Otmar would not bother developing one.

We have wanted to get an AC drive on the KillaCycle for years because they have many advantages over DC systems. Moving the commutation out o the motor is the biggest advantage for us. This would allow us to go to much higher voltages and also higher motor RPM. These two advantages would allow us to take a significant amount of weight out of the motor and perhaps off the bike.

        Bill Dube'
At 10:35 PM 6/8/2007, you wrote:
John Wayland wrote:

David, there's a brand of DC controller that protects against the above. Every single Zilla controller cannot run without and is mated to, a Hairball interface that provides absolute protection against the full-on runaway you describe. For the record, there's never been a single occurance of this kind of failure in a Zilla, old or new, but just in case in the very unlikely scenario of a Zilla's power stage going into full failure mode and it 'were' to happen, the Hairball's advanced protection features would instantly shut down all power contactors and the vehicle would simply cease to operate...

John, what David meant, the AC inverter itself inherently cannot
run AC motor if it's connected directly to it and to the battery
(no contactors) in case power stage fails. If DC controller's power
stage fails it will run the motor attached to it full speed, and the contactors you mention which hairball drops off is something extra
(outside controller) you must have in order to deal with failed
power stage, unlike AC inverter which doesn't have to rely on external
contactors (which may get stuck by the way).

Point is AC inverter will not run AC motor period.
DC motor WILL run DC motor unless you add extra mechanical
hardware to prevent it from happening.
> On the other hand, a siamesed DC motor and a Zilla Z2K would
right now, effortlessly deliver 0-60 in 3.5 seconds in that car,

Not to spoil it John, but as Roger usually puts it you "conveniently
forgetting" (tm) that, unlike Tesla, WZ has really two motors.

They want to build very good performance car, but not the purposely
race car like yours. It's like comparing different classes.
So it's not quite apples to apples, you know.

... and likely the same 200 miles range because of the DC controller's higher efficiency over the AC inverter's wasteful use of electricity as it passes through 6 times the silicon on its way to making three phase juice for that high revving motor :-)

To let you know, these 6 times more waste represent perhaps 1-2% of overall energy "wasted" to move the car. With 6 times more waste (which is, say 600 watts instead of DC controller's 100 watts while you keep supplying ~10,000 watts to move along) your range may get shorter
by a few feet.

Care to calculate exact number?

See Ya....John Wayland

Victor

'91 ACRX - something different

Wider tires don;t necessarily have higher rolling resistance. What is more important is the particular tire model ( and it's rolling resistance) and the pressure you run in them.

Can you tell us why are you considering changing to alloy rims? Is it to reduce rotational mass?

The added rotational inertia due to the rims is pretty small. A few weeks ago I measured the rotational inertia of my Echo's OEM steel wheels and the low-RR tires I just bought ( Bridgestone B381's) using a bifilar pendulum.

Here are the results:

Tire ( Bridgestone B381 195/65-14)

Weight ( each) -  16 lbs.

Rotational inertia ( lb- in -in) :  1712

Radius of gyration ( effective inertial radius of the mass)  : 10.34 inches

Equivalent extra weight due to rotational mass :  13.2 lbs

Rims ( each)   Toyota 5 x 14 OEM steel:

Weight : 12.7 lbs.

Rotational inertia ( lb- in -in) :  490

Radius of Gyration ( effective inertial radius of the mass) : 6.22 inches

Equivalent extra weight due to rotational mass : 3.8 lbs.

So, the rotational mass effects of the rims ( 3.8 lbs/rim) is small - much smaller than for the tires - because the weight of the rims is concentrated close to the axle center. For every 1 pound reduction in rim weight, you will reduce the car's effective inertia by about another 1/3 pound. This ratio will vary slightly depending on your tire's aspect ratio and the particular rims.

And, this rotational mass effect only hurts range and performance while accelerating - not hill climbing, or traveling at constant speed.

The benefits of low RR tires are there at all speeds, under all conditions. I would put my money into the lowest RR tires you can find that will work for your car, and don't worry about the rims.

Phil Marino

To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Rolling resistance going from 165 to 195...
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 05:40:32 -0700 (PDT)

I'm still mulling over a set of alloy rims.
One pair I'm eyeing is 15", and currently 195s are
mounted.  That means 30 mm x 4 tires, or 120 mm more
cross section to be dragged over the pavement.
Any real-world data of whether this will affect my
range substantially?
Thanks,

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07
This depends on the tire lug spacing, load rating and at a specific tire
PSI.  I have a sports car that is design by the manufacture to have 12 inch
wide tires on the rear and 8 inch wide tires in the front. They are mounted
on magnesium heavy duty rims with a 1.5 inch thick centers.

The rear lug spaces are about 1/2 inch apart and the front lug spaces are
1/4 inch apart and also the tire compound is different in the front than the
rear.

The rear foot print is only 2 inches wide by 12 inches, while the front foot
print is 3 inches wide by 8 inches.  This allows the same psi down force on
the tire surface to be about equal from rear to front, even though the rear
suspension has 80 percent of the weight of the vehicle on it, but it feels
like a 50/50 weight distribution.

The tires on my EV are 235's x 15 inch which are about 30 inch in diameter
rated at 65 PSI at 2600 lbs load rating which are mounted on a 3500 lb
rating wheel.  If you look at your light weight alloys rims, many of these
have only a load rating of 1500 lbs or less.  You should design a 1.50%
service factor for weight on any wheels or tires.  A load rating of 1000 lbs
should be about the maximum on at 1500 lbs tire and wheel rating.

Also if you are only driving on very flat smooth roads with a year around
average temperature of 70 degrees, you can get by with those low profile
tires with a 2 inch side wall.  This type of tire on one car only lasted 10
minutes of driving on very rough roads, that broke the alloy rims, because
the tires had too much deflection.

> I'm still mulling over a set of alloy rims.
> One pair I'm eyeing is 15", and currently 195s are
> mounted.  That means 30 mm x 4 tires, or 120 mm more
> cross section to be dragged over the pavement.
> Any real-world data of whether this will affect my
> range substantially?
> Thanks,
>
> Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
> has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
> Learn more at:
> www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
>   ____
>                      __/__|__\ __
>   =D-------/    -  -         \
>                      'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering
> wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

> http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

Ian Hooper said
>- ThunderSky and Liteway cost about $0.50/Wh
>- Valence Saphions are about $1.60/Wh, including BMS
>- A123 M1 cells cost $1.40/Wh
>- PHET cost about $0.65/Wh or $1/Wh in packs with BMS

>Prices for A123 are if you pull apart DeWalt 9360 packs, which is
>sadly the cheapest way for individuals to get them! A123 continue to
>disappoint me with their reluctance to sell to the public. PHET were
>far more welcoming of private enquiries, and it sounds like their
>high power cells aren't all that far short of A123 in performance -
>very promising! (My soapbox comment for the day!)

>-Ian

What is the Home Depot brand Rigid using in their 48 volt tools?

To let you know, these 6 times more waste represent perhaps 1-2% of
overall energy "wasted" to move the car. With 6 times more waste
(which is, say 600 watts instead of DC controller's 100 watts while you
keep supplying ~10,000 watts to move along) your range may get shorter
by a few feet.

A little nit-pick here, but actually the energy 'wasted' in silicon
is only double, not times six, if you compare apples to apples (ie
the same type of transistor). The voltage drop between the motor
and the battery is only that of two IGBT's or MOSFETs, not six.

-Dale

> Can you tell us why are you considering changing to
> alloy rims?  Is it to
> reduce rotational mass?

No, it is to improve the looks, and get more air to
the rotors.  While I can stop just fine, let's face
it: it's like driving with a full load of passengers
each time.  And my plastic hubcaps are starting to
flake paint off. I show the car often, and it just
looks sharper.

> [...]
> >Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came
> out of the steering
> >wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

> >Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
> >Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.
> >http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

> Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the
> i’m Initiative now.
> It’s free.

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?

Got a little couch potato?

--- Begin Message --- The real problem with aluminum wire is the expansion factor, and the effect it has on connections, as well as the corrosion issue.

Do not even consider using aluminum wire in an EV!!!!!!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com