  1) Re: EV CVT (Was: How the Prius Works)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: full size truck conversion
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: EV achilles' heel
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Chorusmotors.com
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: How the Prius Works
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Dumb question time
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV achilles' heel
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10)
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Sorry to Dan and the list
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12)
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) DMV in PA
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Over-volted ADC: Warranty issue
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV achilles' heel - Trailer thoughts
        by jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) long range EV MC,    Re: Oh No... Another Newbie...
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: EV achilles' heel - Trailer thoughts
        by jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Chorusmotors.com
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: TS cell exchange... WAS:Re: New Subscriber
        by jukka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Sorry to Dan and the list
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New Zillch Controller
--- Begin Message --- Actually, 3-legged Diodes are very common. (2 diodes per package back to back) =)

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: David Wilker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:43 pm
Subject: RE: Dumb question time
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Cc: David S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Mil graci
>

> David C. Wilker Jr.
> USAF (RET)
>
> ---- David S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html
>

> To subscribe:
> Be prepared when you subscribe to the EV list to receive over 100
> email messages per day. If you would prefer to receive all of the
> list mail in a single daily email message, see the digest command
> under EV Listproc Commands below.
> Send the following email message:
>
> Replace <first last name> with your first and last name. Don't type
> the angle brackets "<>".
>
> TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> SUBJECT: thanks
> MESSAGE: subscribe ev <first last name>
>

> Example:
> TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> SUBJECT: thanks
> MESSAGE: subscribe ev George Appleton
>

> SAVE the reply you receive from "SJSU ListProcessor(tm)"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. It contains important information
> about how to unsubscribe, post messages and get help. File it in a
> special folder so you can refer to it months or years from now when
> you need to unsubscribe or get help. Also bookmark this web page. I
> update it periodically based on information from the list
> administrators.
>
> Once signed up, send email messages to: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> The list will not accept messages from your email address if your
> subscription is not completed or expired.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Dale, have you got the wording handy? Is it no longer a gen-set when you toss it in the back of the vehicle? If you start it while it's sitting in the bed of an S10? When you connect it to the vehicle? When the vehicle starts to move (legal while parked off the pavement)? If the Vehicle needs it to move (thus an integral part of the vehicle)? Because the EV itself is no longer an EV and loses it's exclusions?

If it's on a trailer, what year emissions specs would it have to meet, those of the trailer, the towing vehicle, or the motor powering the generator?

I'm assuming you're not saying you can't add a converter to a generator that did not require one in general, you're saying when the generator becomes part of the EV, then it's not a stand alone generator anymore?

In my case, the glider is a 1978 Jeep, and the generator would be on a trailor.

On a related note, if you took an emissions legal engine, all emissions gear intact, and ran a generator with it, would that be legal, or is it only certified with it's original drivetrain? Isn't the trans part of the certified package?

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>2) is there any reason you can't voluntarily buy and install a catalytic
converter/quiet exhaust?

In the USA, if you do not go through the proper FTP certification and
emissions deterioration testing and get the proper EPA or CARB paperwork,
yes, there is a very good reason. $25,000 fine per engine is a possibility.

If you're driving down the road with it, no longer are you in the SORE or
LSI gen-set emissions class, but rather, a road-going vehicle class with
a different test and different emissions requirements. Just slapping a
catalyst on it does not make it 'clean' either as I've mentioned earlier.

-Dale

set ev mail digest
query ev
end

DOH!  didn't think to look before i posted

*slaps forehead*

On 6/14/07, Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hmmmm - that is a helpful idea,
or is it?
Did you check Dan's email address ;-)
(it is in the first line under your response... :D

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Oh No... Another Newbie...
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:31:00 -0700

>Hi all,
>
>I posted this earlier under an inapplicable subject line.
>Forgive a newbie  who's still wrapping his head around EV
>concepts and culture. My expertise is ICE automotive repair
>, maintanence, and customization, but I've recently
>developed a great deal of interest in EVs. Over the years
>I've grown increasingly disgusted by all things petrol and
>am looking for a new direction for my company.

       Once you look at EV's, it's really a no brainer. And
as there is almost no EV's on the market, the field is wide
open and lots of profit for those with the right product.
Good EV's are sold very fast now in just a few days most
times.
       I'm currently doing a 3wh composite sportwagon EV so
know the joys of putting an EV into production ;^p.

>After comparing the (disappointing) products available in
>the two-wheeled EV world (I have to include Electric
>Motorsports in this assessment) with the capabilities of
>killacycle and others on the drag circuit, I have to ask if
>it's reasonable to pursue development of a
>scooter/motorcycle capable of 70+ mph, 100+ mile range,
>0-60 mph under 5 seconds, and a weight of under 450 lbs.
>Armor Electric, http://www.armorelectric.com/home.htm, is
>moving in the right direction, but I want to see better
>yet.

       Yes it can but only if you have great aerodynamics,
otherwise air drag will suck your power quickly at speeds
over 30 mph. But with great aero, which means a full aero
cabin, you can get that range at that speed with Li batts.
If you do it right, you can get 50wthr/mile electric useage
so you would need about a 6-7.5kwhr pack for reliable 100
mile range with aero and not kill the batteries.  Without
aero probably 300-450wthrs/mile at 70 mph!! So you by far
get more bang for the buck from aero mods.
      I'd go different with 2-3 PM-123 motors Lawless' race
bike uses for higher eff, regen, even reverse and sevcon
controllers with a contactor bypass/turbo switch. If you can
go a little slower, 2 of them would do quite well anywhere
but the dragstrip. If not a 6.7" motor like Bill Dube uses
will do well. Sevcon does all kinds of controllers that
might work for you.
       Also I doubt there will be enough Zilla's produced to
supply a production run of any size.
       Few bikes or other built as EV's use transmissions as
they just don't need them so save the weight, cost, hassle.
Just Gates Polychain belt it from the motors' shafts to the
rear wheel.
       I can easily see getting $25k for a bike like that!!
A ICE version using a BMW MC, called the Ecomobile I think,
as the base sells for $85k!!!
        If we can help,let us know,
                               Jerry Dycus

>With M1 batteries (or similar) these seem like acceptable
>performance goals until I consider the difficulty of
>mass-producing a reliable American-build product for under
>$9,000 retail (above which I believe consumer interest will
>taper off abruptly). What component set would be required
>to meet those benchmarks? Or do they not currently exist?
>
>At this point I have visions of a 72-120V system with three
>packs of A123 Systems AHR32157M1HD (specs TBD), Zilla
>Z1K-LV and HB2, and a single pancake motor (source
>undecided) bolted to a CVT with belt final drive, although
>I'm intrigued by the possibility of a Brusa
>motor/controller combo. And what's the deal with Raser
>Technologies? Why no commercially available
>motor/controller package if the technology is so fantastic?
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Lon Hull
>Owner - Superstructure Industries LLC
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]@comcast.net

Oh my god. Now you hit me with idea and perhaps the possible solution.

you all know hwo easy it is a rent a genset from a tool rental ? I've been asked to make some battery trailers with Lions and inverters to these companies. How about.. IF.. the pack voltage could be matchable with certain setups. Hmm. You could rent the genset for few days to complete the trip and return it with empty cells. Direct DC output.

at least 80% of the usage would be genset use or say people who wish to use nailguns etc without noise at their summer cottages. More payers for the system.

Can anyone see if there's even remote chance to succeed .. ??

This might not be a solution to all countries. Different needs and culutres..

-Jukka

Sam Maynard kirjoitti:
I agree with Jukka that a fully on-board PHEV is a compromised EV when in all-electric drive mode. Until the magic batteries and quick charge infrastructure are available, detachable ICE (range extender trailer) seems an attractive option. Configure it properly, and you also have a utility generator trailer with 120/240 AC wherever you go, as well as extra space for hauling tools and toys.

A good concept can be undermined by improper configuration. Also, meticulous engineering on a lame concept is just polishing a turd. There is no way an ICE gen trailer powering an EV will be as energy efficient as an economical ICE-only vehicle, but it if you don't take long trips often, it may be more efficient than owning, insuring, and registering 2 completely separate vehicles. One thing you can do to cut your energy efficiency losses is sizing the gen more modestly so you're not hauling around alot of extra gen weight, but large enough to give you 2-4 hours of highway time. If you know what the average kW draw of your EV is at highway speed, size the gen for that. By the time you add the weight and drag of the trailer, it will be a little underpowered for continuous highway travel, but not overweight. Use the batteries as an energy buffer, and plan on stopping every 2-4 hours, not to top off the battery pack, just to get to 80%.

Remembering that the source electricity for even a fully plug-in EV may be coal, hydro, solar, wind, nuke, etc, it's fair to consider the source of fuel when producing the electricity onboard the vehicle (trailer). I've had positive experience with SVO (straight vegetable oil) to power a not-very-smelly ICE car. For now it seems a decent candidate fuel for producing portable electricity.

----- Original Message ----- From: "jukka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: GWMobile
> I would be interested to hear opinions from list members about the
> patents from this company.
> www.chorusmotors.com

It's a legitimate company, with a valid concept. They've been around for at
least 10 years. Fundamentally, they have worked out improved winding techniques
and inverter driving waveforms to improve on the traditional 3-phase AC motor.

A standard 3-phase motor is designed and optimized to run on perfect sinewaves.
But this is a very difficult waveform to produce efficiently with an inverter.

Normal brushed DC motors are polyphase motors; they have a much larger number
of phases than 3. By carefully positioning the armature windings, they have
designed motors that can run efficiently with square waves on each phase
winding. These square waves are easily produced by the commutator.

The chorus motor is an effort to find a compromise between these extremes;
complex inverter to get simple motor windings versus simple inverter but
complex motor windings. They add more phases (but not as many as a DC motor),
and let the inverter generate squarer waveforms (but not completely square
waves).

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

The company is:

International Battery Inc.
81 N. Maple Avenue Ridgewood, NJ 07450
phone 210-444-3232

www.internationalbatteryinc.com

-Jukka

Paul kirjoitti:
On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:27 PM, jukka wrote:

I have to be clear here. Most of you are in states. I have no right to sell stuff there. Thou I can give for free. :) There is a sole distributorship and own battery factory in USA. It's an independent company but has licensed the TS tech.

Are you able to give the name and contact info for this company? A web site and/or product line info available for purchase in the U.S. would be good too.

Having someone from the company on this list answering questions and not ignoring the past problems is a good first step to repairing TS reputation damage. Replacing defective past product would be another positive step.

I didn't buy any of the original TS batteries but positive reports of their current use would certainly influence future battery choices. I do tend to listen to words from Lee Hart, Rich Rudman, John Lussmyer, and any number of other experienced EVers.

Paul "neon" G.

I am sorry, I have to disagree.
I like the list as an email.  A single pastebin like site might be good
for reference.

This is a list I want to "read all" every day, It is fast simple and
takes less bandwidth as a text only list.
Sometimes I transfer to my phone and take it with me.

(And before you blast me, I am a software engineer, Just because a new
bandwidth sucking bell or whistle is avail, doesn't make it appropriate)

I have run 2 or 3 forums and I use forums. When there are thousands of
varied users occasionally there, or problem centric, they are most
appropriate.
When most listers want to view all every day, this is best.

KISS, kinda the EV motto.

I have to dissagree with you Lori as I've been a customer of Electric
Motorsports & I have to say that  Todds creations are very healthy.  He EVen
sells Lepton Scooters which for a moped class vehicle is a very good deal
for the money.(It will carry my 250 pound body up just about any hill in San
Francisco.  Just which product are you talking about?  Todds motorcycles are
very robust.  Lawrence Rhodes......