  1) RE: Motor speed
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Improving hillclimbing without mudering the pack?
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Improving hillclimbing without mudering the pack?
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) DCDC converter and balancer in one? switch between 12V cells
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Internal Resistance? - Now- cable resistance
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Internal Resistance? Peukert's Exponent? Voltage Sag?!?!
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Heater efficiency (was: EV parts ordered! - ?questions?)
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Motor speed
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Clutch, Keepin' it. Ruland shaft coupler
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: 55mph
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Cheap "balancer" for A123 pack
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: DCDC converter and balancer in one? switch between 12V cells
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DCDC converter
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) RE: 55mph
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: DCDC converter and balancer in one? switch between 12V cells
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Improving hillclimbing without mudering the pack?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Motor speed
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: 55mph
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DCDC converter
I pull my RPM reading off the tach sensor mounted to the end of the auxiliary
shaft on the WarP9 motor.   If you look at the
picture on my EVAlbum page (the one with the under-the-hood shot)
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/756 you can see the black thing
on the octagonal plate on the front of my motor.  Thats the tach sensor the
Zilla uses to read RPM right from the motor shaft.

I forgot to put in my last post that you can see some acceleration simulations
for my 192V setup with typical limits you would
come up against in several lower power configurations.  It also notes speeds at
certain RPM's.  If you know what gear I'm in you
can calculate the speed knowing the RPM.  http://home.gci.net/~saintbernard/

Hi all,

I'm trying to make an A123 pack for an eBike type application, and wonder if
this shunt regulator balancer would work.

A 1 watt 3.6V zener, plus a 1W 1.6ohm resistor in series with each battery.

Basically when the voltage across each sell is over 3.6V, it will bleed across
the zener. It would regulate during charge also. I don't expect the voltage
across a cell during charging to get over 4V, so assuming 4V, the current
through the regulator would be:

4-3.6 = 0.4V     0.4V / 1.6ohm = 0.25amps, which is fine for the zener diode
(3.6V * 0.25 amps = .9 Watts), and more than fine for the resistor.

My question is, would this work, and would this be enough to balance say, a 8
series, 8 parallel pack? I know, not much Ah, but man it would be capable of
being really fast. :)

I figure even if it doesn't get completely balanced during charging, after
charging, the overcharged cells would discharge through the regulators (I've
seen A123 packs up to 3.9V after being overcharged).

                                        - Tony

Tony,

recently I bough 1900 LiFP cells (not from A123 but it doesn't matter) and the
voltage difference between highest and lowest value was 7mV !!
Assuming you will start from similar point you balancer will do the trick as
long as zener diodes won't differ too much (usually tolerance of of shunt
voltage is 5%). That's my opinion. I would add a protection circuit
preventing cells from deep discharge.
If you don't need fancy BMS that would cost (for you configuration) 400E this
will work fine.

Marcin

           Hi Markus and All,

From: "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Internal Resistance? Peukert's Exponent? Voltage Sag?!?!
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:27:12 -0700

Copper wire is rated in ohms per 1000 feet or milliohms per foot.
You get these values from the manufacturer of the wire.

You don't have to get this information from the particular wire manufacturer. All copper wire of the same gauge will have the same resistance.

If it doesn't, it is sub-standard wire - you can find some junk wire from China on Ebay which is smaller than the spec, So, try to buy wire from a reputable dealer.

Here is one link that has resistance data for copper wire-

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Phil Marino

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Former owner of 48 Volt Fiesta
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
HI, Joseph

All of your posts are coming through like this. PLEASE figure out how to set your email client to send PLAIN TEXT only. ( I can't help you with how to do that)

We would all like to be able to read what you have to say.

Thanks

Phil Marino

From: Joseph Tahbaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:24:16 -0400

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Victor,

I suppose...

Trot, the grinning, fox...

On 6/20/07, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
OK, fine, I said *practically* 100%.

The pump takes 4W, heater - 4,000W, so pump consumes 0.1%.
The heater then is 99.9% efficient. Better now?

Victor

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

Rob - If I understand your question, you're asking - where in the motor should the RPM be 3500?

The answer is - everywhere. RPM is short for revolutions per minute. Since the shaft/armature of the motor is a single rigid assembly, it doesn't matter where you measure it. All parts of it are rotating at the same speed. ( rotational speed, not linear speed)

Often RPM is measured at the motor shaft ( usually the non-drive end) but some people measure it with a device which "sees" the fan blades go by. They will all give the same result. It's a matter of convenience of installation.

I measure motor RPM with a hall-effect sensor that looks at a notch in the flywheel. Since the flywheel is keyed to the motor shaft, it gives the right result. For me, that was a convenient way to do it.

Phil Marino

From: "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Motor speed
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:57:16 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Willmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:29:37 -0400

I got this off of a website for MOPARS:

Engine horsepower required to sustain MPH on level ground (HPs):

   HPs =
                                     (MPH ÷  3)
                +   (WEIGHT ÷ 1,000 × MPH ÷ 10)

Note: assumes engine HP must be 2 × the HP required at drive wheels.
Example:
What engine HP is required to sustain 75 MPH in a 3,600 pound vehicle?

    HPs =
                                       75
               ÷                        3
               + (3,600 ÷ 1,000 × 75 ÷ 10)
              _____________________________
                                       25
               + (3.6 × 7.5)
              _______________________________________
                                        52 engine HP

--
www.electric-lemon.com

Who's that on the Red Carpet? Play & win glamorous prizes. http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=REDCARPET_hotmailtextlink3

I think you missed the key point of Tony's idea. The DC-DC would use ALL of the traction batteries,

And, it would be smart enough to draw more power from those batteries at a higher charge level. So, it would act as a balancer that would work all the time that you are using 12V power.

You would end up with batteries that are closer in balance, not further out of balance.

I think it's a great idea. You would need a bunch of wiring and relays, etc, But, you need that for any balancer. This way, you're not wasting any power as you balance.

Phil

[...]

Sounds like you are on the right track. The only way to get more power
out of a given motor at a fixed amp is to spin it faster and let the
gears translate that added rpm into added torque. The only way to spin a
given motor faster is to raise the voltage.

I believe you have two other options
    1) get a second motor and do the series parallel switch. This is
like an electric transmission. Double the torque at half the max RPM,
but that may make a particular gear possible. But only if the motor is
the limit.
    2) I think Lee mentioned once on this list how to use a curtis on a
higher system voltage thru a retactor circuit. I'd say check the
archives, But I couldn't find it. Going to a higher system voltage and
keeping the controller this way and using the lower gear sounds like a
good idea.

How can that be?

If you measure the rpms at 3500 on a 1inch shaft motor.
And you now put a 2 inch shaft on the same motor still turning at the same speed, the revolutions per minute will have changed because where your measuring now takes it twice as to make one revolution.

So unless I'm incorrect it does make a difference where it's measured.

God bless

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My WarP9 finds its sweet spot around 3500 RPM, which in 2nd gear happens to be 35 mph. at 37mph I can feel acceleration start to
taper and seems the perfect shift point to 3rd gear.

Actually you don't want to lug the motor and you have
plenty of room and would say it'd be happier at the
3000 to 4000 rpms, you got lots more rpm to play with
8^)

Hope this helps

--- Storm Connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I got the tachometer installed, now the big
> question.
> What is the best speed to aim for with my ADC 9"
> motor
> pushing almost 3500 pounds? I have been keeping it
> between 2000 and 2500 RPM generally. My thinking is
> that  if the revs are too low  under load, there is
> the potential of overheating. I have red lined it at
> 5000 so as not to break the motor.
>
> What do you think? I have been treating it like an
> ICE
> but don't know if that is right.

Never miss an email again!

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative now. It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07

A lot of people don't have that kind of data though.  I don't know the Cd of my
Nissan or the tire drag coefficient.  I do however have the ability to use that
general calculation.

This doesn't look like a useful formula to me.  It might be close at a
particular speed (similar to a stopped watch being exactly correct twice a
day), but it would give you huge errors at most speeds.

It makes no account of frontal area, Cd, or tire drag coefficient,

Even worse, its says that the required horsepower it proportional to the speed.
 Because air drag dominates at high speed, and the power it soaks up is
proportional to the cube of speed, this formula is way off.

For example, it would predict that your car would need twice the power to
travel at 60 MPH compared to 30 MPH.  In most cases, you would need closer to
six times the power at double the speed.

If you know the frontal area, Cd, tire RR, and weight, Peter's calculations
should give you very accurate answers.  if you don't know them, take your best
guess - and use it anyway.

It would still give you much better answers than the MOPAR version.

Phil

>From: "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
>Subject: RE: 55mph
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:29:37 -0400
>
>I got this off of a website for MOPARS:
>
>Engine horsepower required to sustain MPH on level ground (HPs):
>

>    HPs =
>                                      (MPH ÷  3)
>                 +   (WEIGHT ÷ 1,000 × MPH ÷ 10)
>

>Note: assumes engine HP must be 2 × the HP required at drive wheels.
>Example:
>What engine HP is required to sustain 75 MPH in a 3,600 pound vehicle?
>

>     HPs =
>                                        75
>                ÷                        3
>                + (3,600 ÷ 1,000 × 75 ÷ 10)
>                                        25
>                + (3.6 × 7.5)
>                                         52 engine HP

Forgot to mention, here is an application note that may help:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-556.pdf

Ken