  1) RE: WZ cool advertising was: Zombie Rips into the 11s !!!!
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Wayland Invitational ramblings (Re: Nobody wants my money.. )
        by Mark Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Zombie breaks nothing except 110 mph
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Zombie breaks nothing except 110 mph
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Separate chargers ... yes they work
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Fuse recommendation for a 108v pack
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Adapter Problem
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) tesla car
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: tesla car
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: tesla car
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: tesla car
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: tesla car
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: tesla car
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: BMS system basic requirements...Re: Cheap
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) How To View These Messages?
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: J150 Battery
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) re.adaptor plates
        by Sharon G Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Getting set for a Sunday Workshop day
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: BMS system basic requirements...Re: Cheap
        by "Shaun Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
 24) RE: Hybrids done right, Re: Would you build if you could buy?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: re.adaptor plates
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Fastest EV conversion ever!
        by "Richard Krog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: ???kWh EV battery pack
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Dial Down a Raptor's Max Amperage
        by Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Fuse recommendation for a 108v pack
        by Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) White Zombie and Friday Night Drags
        by Daniel Eyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Who Killed the Electric Car T-shirts available at CafePress
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Re: How To View These Messages?
        by James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 34) Re: How To View These Messages?
        by "owen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 35) Re: NEDRA story on Zombie rips into the 11s
        by "Thos True" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The body, frame and doors ???
The VIN # ??

;-P

So who else is going to be in Portland that weekend?
(My boy and I will be there to represent the Aussies :-)

Who will be racing?

Anyone bringing EVs to the brunch and show on Saturday?

Any other events going on that weekend?

From: David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://www.grassrootsev.com sells some excellent videos on how to make an
> adaptor. Even if you don't do it exactly that way you'll learn alot.
> http://www.metricmind.com also is excellent in detailing how Victor made his
> adaptor.
>
> I did my adaptor design in Emachine shop, and it was significantly more
> expensive than buying one from http://www.electroauto.com/ .

What motor does the Tesla car, can't seem to find that info on the website?

"5C is 5 times C a measure of the amps being drawn
C/5 is really 1/5 * C and is also a measure of the amps being drawn"

"C5 is the rate that discharges the battery in 5 hours
C20 is the rate that discharges the battery in 20 hours"

You said that 5C is a measure of "amps being drawn" and that C5 is
"the rate" that discharges the battery in 5 hours. But amps and rate
is the same thing. The rate of electricity flowing is measured in
amps. Amps is a measure of the rate of electricity flowing.
Can anyone explain this? (Or me if I'm wrong)

On 6/30/07, Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
if the number comes first, we are talking about amps, if it comes after,
we are talking about time.

5C is 5 times C a measure of the amps being drawn
C/5 is really 1/5 * C and is also a measure of the amps being drawn

C5 is the rate that discharges the battery in 5 hours
C20 is the rate that discharges the battery in 20 hours

I think. :-)

Three-Pase 4-pole AC electric motor. 90% average efficiency and 8-%
efficiency at full power. Should be under technical specs which should
be under engineering.

On 6/30/07, Rob Hogenmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What motor does the Tesla car, can't seem to find that info on the website?

Oh, and check out the blog post "Motor City" if you want a great
explanation of how the motor is controlled and other interesting info.

On 6/30/07, Joseph T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Three-Pase 4-pole AC electric motor. 90% average efficiency and 8-%
efficiency at full power. Should be under technical specs which should
be under engineering.

On 6/30/07, Rob Hogenmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What motor does the Tesla car, can't seem to find that info on the website?

    From the Wikipedia entry for Tesla Roadster:
"Motor

   * Type: 3-phase, 4-pole electric motor
   * Max net power: 248 hp (185 kW)
   * Max rpm: 13,500
   * Efficiency: 90% average, 80% at peak power"

   This "data" is taken from the rather vague "tech specs" page on
the Tesla Motors site, to which the Wikipedia article links.

    It's an AC motor, produced IIRC by  AC Propulsion.
    The "AC Propulsion" article *sort of* backs me up on this. It
says, "Tesla have licensed technology from AC Propulsion". This
suggests to me that ACP is not actually manufacturing the motors for
Tesla. Who knows?

On 6/30/07, Rob Hogenmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What motor does the Tesla car, can't seem to find that info on the website?

I see that information, but no information on who makes them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jukka wrote:

> FETs and power electronics are a bit different from organic
> materials.

Yes, true enough; you are perhaps taking me too literally.  My point is
that it is difficult to exactly match anything that we connect in
parallel, but that there are techniques for connecting them that can go
a long way toward minimising these sorts of problems.

Capacitors are nearer to your organic cells than to power devices and
proper attention to the connection details can make a significant
difference with them.

> Think about this:
>
> You choose in the assembly similar cells and cycle them. You
> manage to get 500 cycles out and after that you get 50 % out
> of the pack. you open the pack and balance it and after 50
> cycles the balance is off again.

Perhaps I've given you the impression that I am against BMS; this is
absolutely not the case.  What I have stated is that if someone connects
many small cells in parallel, it is economically infeasible to try to
implement a BMS for each individual cell in the array.  It is absolutely
still necessary to implement a BMS that manages each of these arrays
(macro cell, if you like).  Yes, there are some tradeoffs one must
expect with this approach vs using and managing a single large cell in
place of the array.

> You take any QC passed cell with less than 10% tolerance and
> add it in to te pack. You let the BMS to manipulate a reversed
> wearing effect on the cells anf after 500 cycles they are in
> line. With less than 1 % of differences in internal resistance
> and capacity. THEN pack stays over 50% of the original capacity
> over 4000 cycles. Even the hairdresser is happier than EVer.

No, the hairdresser grew old and died before she could get 4000 cycles
on her battery! ;^>

Remember, it [hypothetically] took me over 19yrs to get 500 cycles on
mine.

> You need to know more about the use. Unless you let the system learn
> your driving habits.
>
> I choose to do it in a way that mostly the system works on learned
> behaviour. Only on reguest throug user interface you can choose 100%
> SOC. It can be enabled with SMS and in future through our Extranet
> service. You register and login. Then you can access the system you
> have purchased and even modify the GUI on the screen in your vehicle.
> With certain limitations. Adn you can do it ANYTIME. Nearly
everywhere.

> Usability, warranty and safety. System is not just about how
> to balance and keep the worst scenorios out. Agreed ?

It does sound wonderful, but I suspect, overkill for many applications.
If the price is right, having features one (the end user) doesn't really
need isn't a problem. I think your 1000cycles/5yrs/100,000mi, etc.
warranty target is sensible, but as a consumer would not particularly
value paying more for the battery system because of promises of
4000cycles/20yrs/300,000mi, etc. given that battery technology will
march on and prices will drop, and there is a very real possibility that
long before my I try to make a warranty claim the company that sold it
to me will have disappeared.

--- Begin Message --- Currently I'm using Outlook Express to view this discussion board and then have it setup to group the messages into groups based on subject.

I was wondering what's your preffered method to view this disscusion group?
David Roden wrote:

> I've read about these batteries [Trojan J150].  I wonder -
> if they're effectively just two 6v golf car batteries,
> why not use the golf car batteries?
> They shouldn't weigh much more, and will give you more
> flexibility in your battery layout.

Mainly because they aren't 6V GCs merged together, but rather a 6V GC
with its plates divided into 6 cells rather than 3.  It's a flooded 12V
battery made from the same plates as the deep cycle 6VGC, but with
roughly half the capacity and 2x the voltage.

David Roden wrote:

> > Most flooded PbA batteries will also have a
> > capacity rating specified at the 5-hour rate
> > (C/5, or often C.sub.5).
>
> I think this is usually expressed as C5.  I'm pretty sure the
> expression C/5 means the 20 hour capacity divided by 5.  (But
> I might be wrong.  This nomenclature is terribly confusing.)

Yes, the nomenclature is quite confusing.  If there is some BCI or other
standard somewhere spelling it out, I haven't come across it yet.

I don't believe I've seen this expressed as "C5", but have definitely
seen the "C.sub.5" version in battery manufacturer literature.

I also am quite certain that at least some manufacturers use "C/n" to
refer to the "capacity at the n-hour rate", or "capacity when discharged
over n-hours", but that doesn't mean there aren't some that use it in
the way you suggest.  In my experience, when the intent is to specify a
fraction of the capacity, the notation will either explicitly identify
the period over which the capacity is measured (e.g. "C.sub.20/5"), or
it will simply state "C/5" and elsewhere in the document "C" will be
defined to be the capacity at some stated rate, such as 20hr or 5hr,
etc.

When in doubt, reread the document carefully in its entirety! ;^>

--- Begin Message --- Yes, there's been quite a bit of traffic about TS batteries lately. I'm glad Nikki has agreed to be our guinea pig.

Keep us updated Nikki. I'm curious about immediate performance as well as long-term life cycle and how they perform in various temperatures.

Rich A.

Subject: Re: Getting set for a Sunday Workshop day

On 30 Jun 2007 at 8:59, Nikki Bloomfield wrote:

Any guesses on how fast I'll go now?

I don't think I'll guess.  I've heard that the TS cells sag quite a bit
(someone correct me if that's wrong), so under load they may actually have
*less* voltage than your 42v of lead batteries.  On the flat, the lower mass
will reduce rolling resistance a bit, but I doubt that it will have a
dramatic effect on top speed.  No doubt you will get there faster though
(better acceleration), and you should be able to climb hills faster.

I just hope you're not getting a batch of substandard TS cells, as some on
the EVDL did a few years ago.

In any case, let us know how things work out.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07
Hey guys did you see over at the GM-Volt blog an interview (June 21)
with A123 Systems co-founder Bart Riley, GM want a 15 year warranty
for the Volts battery pack!

http://www.gm-volt.com/2007/06/21/gm-volt-exclusive-interview-and-podcast-with-a123-co-founder-cto-and-vp-of-rd-bart-riley-on-building-the-volts-battery-pack/
(The good stuff is in the podcast)

Also, when asked if the battery pack capacity was around 16kWh he said
he didn't know.

I'll keep my Chevy Volt scepticism to myself. :-)

Shaun

www.electric-echo.com

Hmm, it was, perhaps, poorly worded.
5C means drawing current equivelent to five times the rated capacity.
I.e. if the battery was rated at 100Ah, then 5C means 500 amps.
So if the number is first, it indicates to multiply this number by the
rated capacity.

If the number comes after the C, then it indicates the capacity divided by
this number.  Again C5 on a 100Ah battery would indicate 20 amps.
If we were talking about ideal batteries, with no peukert effect, then the
number after the C would indicate how many hours the battery would last at
this discharge rate.

As has been mentioned, the BIGGEST problem with this system is that it is
not standardised.  Some battery manufactures will use C5 to indicate how
much current you can ACTUALLY draw from the batteries for a full five
hours(probably most common usage).  But others may use this term to
indicate the 20hr rate divided by 5.
Additionally, some manufactures will list performance of their batteries
at 2C, 5C, etc. but not indicate whether C in this case means C at the
20hr rate, or C at the one hour rate.

On 30 Jun 2007 at 7:29, Jeff Shanab wrote:

> All the sales guys kept saying over and over, "You don't want one of
> those, you want a hybrid civic...

Honda's been taking pages from GM's EV1 sales book, I see.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

On 30 Jun 2007 at 10:18, Philippe Borges wrote:

> C/5 is Capacity (C) divided by 5 >>hours<<

I'm pretty sure that C/5 is a >current<.  It is the battery's 20h (20 hour)
capacity expressed in amps, divided by 5.

Cx (where x is a number) is measure of capacity in amp-hours.

C is the 20 hour capacity expressed as amperes.  Thus,

x * C (or) C / x (x * C is the same as xC)

is a measure of current in amperes.

These last figures are not qualities of the battery so much as ways of
relating currents that are relevant to the battery's use.  For example, it's
common for manufacturers to specify maximum charge and discharge current for
a particular range of battery in terms of C.  Maximum discharge current
might be 5C, while maximum charge current might be C/5.  (These numbers will
differ with different manfacturers and different ranges of batteries.

For example, let's look at a standard 220ah (105 min @ 75 amps) golf car
battery.

C20 = 220ah

C5 = 164ah

C = 220 amps

C/5 = 44 amps

5C = 1100 amps

Confusing, isn't it?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Easy after 36, yes.  Daunting for the first time, also yes.
Especially if you never have seen the inside of a bell housing before.
Brian

On 6/30/07, Sharon G Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Brian in TX
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960
http://www.evdub.blogspot.com/
It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm
really quite busy.

Here's a story of the first 24-hours with my donor car...

On Wednesday, I took delivery of a 1973 Porsche 914 with plans to
convert it using Electro Automotive's Voltsporsche kit.  On Thursday,
I drove it to work to evaluate it as a donor car.  It seems perfect --
nice paint job, no rust, good working brakes, clutch and transmission.
A few hundred feet into my home commute, the engine died from what I
later discovered was a broken fuel pump.  I pulled off the road into a
corporate driveway and rolled to a stop leaving just enough room for
cars to get by.  I knew I truly had my glider.

A minute later, a very irate DHL truck driver blasted his horn at me
because he couldn't find enough space to get past.  Instead of getting
out and pushing the car in 95 degree heat, I remembered a old trick my
father told me -- I put it in first gear, released the clutch and
cranked the ignition key!  Slowly but surely, the poor little 12v
battery and starter motor pushed me forward just enough for the truck
to pass.

I know that doesn't count as an EV yet, but I had a grin on my face nonetheless.

Richard

On 30 Jun 2007 at 21:43, Peter VanDerWal wrote:

> If the number comes after the C, then it indicates the capacity divided by
> this
> number.  Again C5 on a 100Ah battery would indicate 20 amps.

That's not my understanding of it.  What you're describing would be written
as C/5.  C5 is the 5 hour capacity.

Now, I could be wrong.  I think we need some coaching from Nawaz. ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Resend:

Is there a way to dial down the maximum amperage output of a Raptor 1200?

One of our EV owners wants to extend his range and was thinking that dialing down the amperage would help in extending his range.
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:00:56 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>One of our members has a Fiero with a 108 volt pack with 18-GC135 Exides
>and a DCP Raptor 1200 amp controller.  The pack fuse is blown and he
>would like to tap your recommendations for a replacement fuse.
>
>Peter

  I would like some recommendations also.  I have upgraded from 96
nominal to 120 volts.  I have the old 400 amp fuse in place.  Should I
upgrade?

  R. M. Milliron

1981 Jet Electrica
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/702

  This machine has been garaged for 17 years.
I am trying to get it running. Tabitha, my daughter,
named it, "Pikachu". It's yellow and black, electric
and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

It was really fun and a privilege to watch John and
Tim break into the 11's. I had to leave early, but
don't remember anyone else getting below 12.0 seconds.
The weather kept most away, but the evening was dry
and every run got better. A friend came with me and
was really impressed by the car and how quiet it was.
He thought it was just rolling at first, then realized
it was going under power. I think I am getting the bug
to do some electric dragging and have to give the
credit to John for getting it. Best wishes to John and
Tim on their next outing. Dan Eyk

Daniel Eyk
Vancouver, Wa.

Electric S-10 project
E-15 project

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

"Who Killed the Electric Car T-Shirts" are now available at CafePress.

http://www.cafepress.com/pluginamerica/3225074

Proceeds benefit Plug In America.

Chip Gribben

Rob Hogenmiller wrote:
> Currently I'm using Outlook Express to view this discussion board and
> then have it setup to group the messages into groups based on subject.
>
> I was wondering what's your preffered method to view this disscusion
> group?
I sort them by date usually.
Even if I am a day or two behind in messages, I find it easier to browse
the discussions.

Sometimes I sort by subject, although I find that more of a pain.
Sure, all the messages of that subject are neatly grouped, but flicking
between them becomes a bother, when the next subject in alphabetical
order is a few weeks behind in date.

So I sort by date & keep an eye out for the subject headers.
to add (novice here - so not really) then go for the next one.

Cheers,
James Drysdale.

same as that
owen