  1) Re: Odyne Corp. Signs Agreement to Provide Its Battery System Technology
for up to 2,000 Cars in Mexico City Fleet
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV air conditioning, how to connect motor?
        by "Dave Wilker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Odyne Corp. Signs Agreement to Provide Its Battery System Technology
for up to 2,000 Cars in Mexico City Fleet
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Flooded Nicads?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) check out  electricevette.com
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: check out  electricevette.com
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: VW Rabbits-conversion suggestions
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: article: evDaytona: electric motocycle with turgid windscreen
        by "Loni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: check out  electricevette.com
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Wheel alignment Or How to significantly reduce rolling
      resistance!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: PVC Glue
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Electric  EVette
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Fiero conversions..?
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Flogging a dead horse - L91 vs X91
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: J150 Battery
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Wheel alignment Or How to significantly reduce rolling resistance!
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: J150 Battery
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fiero conversions..?
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Max Speed of BLDC Motor
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: DC Circuit breaker
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Hig perf lithium
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Motor weight
Hi Beth,

So Odyne will supply battery management and chargers.
Azure the propulsion systems.  Can you tell us what
the batteries will be?

Jeff

--- Beth Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.electricdrive.org/index.php?tg=entry&idx=more&article=1528&id
> g=1

Got a little couch potato?

--- Begin Message --- Plus, window units are made to be stable, not moving about. They have no flex in the lines. This is so they can keep the gasses from escaping better by using the harder lines.

David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Victor Tikhonov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Markus Lorch
> the (main) bottleneck I am concerned about... is the batteries.
> many posts talk about 400-600 battery amps and just now learned
> that that is way too much for most 6V 160-200 Ah AGM, flooded,
> or gel batteries if one expects a battery life of 100 or more
> cycles to 80% DOD.
>
> I was told to stay around 120-160A if I do not want to buy
> batteries on a yearly basis.
>
> many emails about... 250-300Wh/mile performance with even heavy
> cars doing 40mph but that seems to be only for flat roads, maybe
> including infrequent acceleration and deceleration. I also get
> there if I drive carefully, let it slow down significantly on
> hills and do not take the charger and equalization inefficiency
> into account. I did not fully realize how much more power hills
> take and how slow an EV really gets when it hits a hill.
>
> I also don't see a good way around the power limitation currently.

I feel your pain, Marcus! It's something that most EVers run into sooner or
later. Most parts of an EV are straightforward. Available technology works
pretty well. With a little studying and careful choices, they work. But the
batteries -- aye, there's the rub!

Golf cart batteries are inexpensive and last a long time -- but they aren't
built for high currents. They are designed to supply 75a loads for a couple
hours, can supply 150a with a modest reduction in life, and even 500a peaks for
a few seconds. Using them in your EV leads to a slow heavy car, but they last
for many years and cost per mile is low.

AGMs are built for high peak currents. A common use is in UPS, where they have
to deliver 100's of amps for 15 minutes or so. But, most people rarely use
their UPS, so manufacturers only design for 100-200 cycle life. Using these
batteries in your EV keeps it light and fast; but they die in a year or two so
your cost per mile is high.

If your driving pattern requires frequent hill-climbing, but you want the
economy of floodeds, you may want to look into other types of batteries.
Flooded nicads can do it -- the drawback is that you pay a very high initial
cost for them, but they last so long that you get it back in the long run.

Another possibility is a hybrid battery pack with *both* floodeds and AGMs. The
AGMs provide the high peak currents for acceleration and hill-climbing. The
floodeds provide the slow, steady power for cruising. The AGMs are deliberately
prevented from deep discharges, to maximize their cycle life. For example, 50%
DOS floodeds and 20% DOD AGMs, or 80% DOD flooded and 50% DOD AGMs.

> Now I am not sure if the difference in technology from flooded
> or gel to AGM turns this rule of thumb upside down

I see gels as a replacement for floodeds; same low currents, same long life.
Mainly, you pay a lot more for gels to eliminate the watering, gassing, and
messiness of floodeds -- not to get better performance.

Finally, you have to be on your toes when buying batteries! Consumers can't see
amphour capacity or cycle life, and they never test or remember these
paramters. Battery salesmen know this, and so can lie shamelessly, because they
know you'll never catch them!

That's why it is important to buy from reputable suppliers, and then test the
batteries yourself anyway. Or, get test data from independent sources -- *not*
anecdotes! ("I don't need to measure 'nothin to know this here Cheap John
battery works good, it works real good!")

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--

Bill Dennis wrote:
> I've got a few PVC body parts to which I need to affix some metal
> L-brackets, which will then get bolted to the frame. One suggestion
> I got was to use Gorilla Glue. Does anyone have any other
> recommendation for a good glue or mastic to attach the L-brackets
> to the PVC?

Bonding plastic to metal is never going to be particularly strong. The
materials are too much different in their flexibility and expansion with
temperature. Shock, vibration, flexing, and temperature changes will cause the
joint to fail soone or later.

Can you make the L-brackets out of plastic too? Then you can reliably bond them
to the plastic body parts, and then use screws, rivets, etc. to reliably
connect the plastic L-brackets to the frame.

The most reliable way to bond most plastics is welding. You either disolve the
plastic with a suitable solvent, or use heat to melt and fuse the plastic
together.

ABS is pretty easy to hot-air weld. My only ComutaVan body was ABS, and probaby
had 100 feet of hot air welded seams due to all the stress cracking accumulated
over the years.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net

Hi Everyone,

Good Guess, Yes it has two, that gives us about 1200 amps. That along with the
extreme maneuverability the car has makes it almost impossible to catch on city
streets.

Tom and Yvette

>On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 19:18 +0200, Dan Frederiksen wrote:
>> freaky
>>
>> did you make the motor controller(s) yourself?
>>

>>From listening carefully to the home video as the car starts to move,
>I'm guessing he's using a Curtis.
>
>--
>Christopher Robison
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://ohmbre.org          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

I'm interested in hearing from those who have built, or own, Fiero
conversions.  My daily driver is an '88 Red 5spd Formula that I love
to pieces (sometimes literally.)  I am convinced that I should be
driving an EV (at least, once I have a place to plug it in) so I have
been researching options to that end.

Originally the plan was to get a decently reliable ICE to drive while
I fix the ills my 18 yr old P-car has and then begin conversion of the
ICE car to a BEV.  The Fiero would then be available for moderate
hot-rodding as my play car.  the whole point of me having a BEV though
is for my commute.  The wife has nixed me owning any more 2-seaters so
that means any ICE conversion would require the back seat to remain
usable.

In East Tennessee.

With a >30 mile one-way commute.

With no likely option of plugging in at work...  (government job)

So maybe I should convert the Fiero to a quick BEV with some variety
of regen (for the mountains) and get another 4-door car for longer
drives.  Maybe a Prius or similar eventually.

So...  I need to know about Fiero conversions.  The Good, the bad, and
the moderately unattractive.  : ]

Trot, the hard-cornering, fox...

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

Hi Ian,

>From looking at the same data you are and using the
fact that Lee says that the X91 has more armature
turns, this is my take.
X91 has 87 lb.ft. at 400 amps,
L91 has 60 lb.ft. at 400 amps

--- Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> *sigh* Sorry, I'm still confused..
>
> So the X91 produces more torque at a given voltage
> (drawing more
> current)?

I'd say that at a given voltage, X91 produces more
torque per amp.  Really the torque per amp is
independant of voltage.

> But then, this document suggests the L91
> can handle more
> current,

Yes, the L91 has fewer armature turns and therefore
larger conductors, and can handle more current for
similar ratings.
L91 can do 150 amps for one hour,
X91 can do 120 amps for one hour,
Both at 91 vols.

> and has higher peak HP:

Yes, this would follow.  L91 has less resistance and
higher speeds so would probably have a higher peak
power, at the same source voltage.

> http://www.evparts.com/shopping/products/mt2115/
> mt2115peakmotoroutput.PDF
>
> Meanwhile evparts.com says the L91 is only rated to
> 120V while the
> X91 is rated to 144V?

The motor with the higher number of comm bars (X91)
would probably be rated for higher voltage for similar
commutation (sparking) and brush life.

> I thought it'd be the other
> way around, hmm.
>
> What would ye experts recommend as the best pair of
> 6.7s to
> complement a 128V lithium pack rated to 1600 amps?

I guess it depends on your design objectives and
system details.  Like performance (top speed,
acceleration, life, duty cycle, etc.) and gear ratio,
shift speeds, motor cooling, etc.  My take is that the
L91 is higher performance and the X91 longer lived for
a preselected voltage and current limit.

For similar life, you could run the X91 at higher
voltage and lower current limit than the L91, then the
performance would be about equal.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

> -Ian
>
> PS: Congrats to everyone involved with White Zombie,
> what a great
> milestone!

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

Joseph T. wrote:

> Is the J150 as reliable as the 6 volt battery?

That's the promise, but I don't know of anyone who has run a set long
enough to know.

Robert Chew wrote:

> Yeah 6 volters would be better. Easier to handle in and out
> of the car.

Not really. ;^>  The J150 and T1275 flooded 12Vers weigh in at about
80lbs, which is just a bit more than a single 6V T145 (a fair comparison
since the J150 & T1275 have about half the capacity of the T145).  The
12Vers are a bit longer and shorter than the 6Ver.

Yes, batteries are not perfect. Pretty much everything you're saying
is correct, except that flooded batteries do not last a long time.
Flooded 6 volt batteries do last a very long time, and do have very
bad performance.

On 7/2/07, Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Markus Lorch
> [...]

messiness of floodeds -- not to get better performance.

Finally, you have to be on your toes when buying batteries! Consumers can't see
amphour capacity or cycle life, and they never test or remember these
paramters. Battery salesmen know this, and so can lie shamelessly, because they
know you'll never catch them!

That's why it is important to buy from reputable suppliers, and then test the batteries
yourself anyway. Or, get test data from independent sources -- *not* anecdotes! ("I
don't need to measure 'nothin to know this here Cheap John battery works good, it works
real good!")

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net

So a J150 or T1275 is a battery with all the durability off 6 volts,
and all the power of 12 volts?

Robert Chew wrote:

> Yeah 6 volters would be better. Easier to handle in and out
> of the car.

Not really. ;^>  The J150 and T1275 flooded 12Vers weigh in at about
80lbs, which is just a bit more than a single 6V T145 (a fair comparison
since the J150 & T1275 have about half the capacity of the T145).  The
12Vers are a bit longer and shorter than the 6Ver.

There are a number of electric fieros if you scan the evalbum.
They make really good EVs in my opinion. They are small and relatively light yet have a beefy suspension and brakes, unlike other small cars of similiar weight, and has a fairly heavy engine to remove.
And lots of room outside the passenger compartment for batteries.
And manual steering. I'd really like is to have manual brakes for mine also to avoid the vaccum pump, so if any other Fiero owners might have input on that I'd appreciate it.

I've got a contact controller setup in it right now.

Jack

TrotFox Greyfoot wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

I don't know much about this particular motor, so
can't comment on RPM and amps.  But, I do think that a
fixture (like a press) is needed to remove and install
the rotor on large PMSM.  And replace the magnets?
Where would you get a replacement?  If you could get a
replacement magnet, they could probably remagnetize
the rotor for you.  It would probably have to be the
original manufacturer.  On the other hand, I doubt the
inverter phase short demagnetized it.  Just a guess.
If you have the motor, try running an Eg test.

Jeff

--- Dale Ulan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone out there knows the real
> maximum
> speed and the real maximum current of a Solectria
> BRLS-16
> motor. Rated is something like 5000 RPM and 240 amps
> which gets a torque of just under 58 N*m. The RPM
> stops
> climbing abruptly when it runs out of volts (all 144
> of them).
> Just trying to figure out whether this motor would
> be
> powerful enough for me... and since it's a PM, I
> don't want
> to demagnetize it. And I don't want it to fly apart.
> believe it uses Nd*Fe*B magnets. Can I put maybe 300
> amps into it safely when it's cold? If I could spin
> it at
> maybe 6500 or 7000 then I think I could live with
> that
> power level. Of course I'd need more voltage but
> that's not
> a big problem... closer to 190 or 200 volts instead
> of 144.
>
> Also, should I worry that the motors have seen a
> couple of
> inverter phase-leg shorts (in terms of demagnetizing
> it
> accidentally)? If so, is is practical to pull the
> rotor
> and replace the magnets?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Dale

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Can I put two or three of the lower voltage ones in series to get
the same effect?

High voltage DC circuit breakers, switches, and contactors are almost always made by putting enough lower-voltage contacts in series. For example, if one switch contact is rated at 100v, then 2 in series are good for 200v, 3 in series are 300v, etc. If it's a circuit breaker, you'll see 2 or 3 poles all wired in series, and tripped by a common handle or other mechanical connection between them.

Roland is right that completely independent breakers with a commoning bar between them don't always open at exactly the same time. However, the time difference between when one trips and the connected ones trip is very short; a small fraction of a second. The contacts are built to survive that short period of arcing.

Don't try putting fuses in series to increase their voltage rating, though. It won't work!

Hi Roland, Will it work if I put the circuit breakers between battery
chains, ie split the pack into 2 or three electrical units and use the
breakers in series? Then each of them will have only about 120 volts
across terminals.

Joseph

> It may not work, because the supply voltage is the same across each
> breaker.  The breaker contacts may not have enough clearance when
> opening which will  cause arc over.
>
> It is best to have a gang circuit breaker such as a 2 pole or 3 pole
> circuit  breaker with common trip.  Do not use those handle ties on
> single breakers,  because the slack causes them to turn off one at a
> time.
>
> In our electrical work, we may temporary connect two AC breakers in
> parallel  so critical systems can still work, while we get a replacement
> install.
>
> Connecting DC circuit breakers in series, the voltage across each
> breaker  will still read the same supply voltage.  Breakers act like a
> wire  conductor, not like a voltage divider using resistors.
>
> Roland

Yes, as long as the voltage does not go over the rating of the circuit
breaker. Some breakers are design with a 125 percent demand factor, meaning
that 1.25 x 120 = 150 volts.  The maximum voltage we use on a 120 volt rated
circuit breaker is about 130 volts on transformers that are tapped at 130
volts at no load.

> Hi Roland, Will it work if I put the circuit breakers between battery
> chains, ie split the pack into 2 or three electrical units and use the
> breakers in series? Then each of them will have only about 120 volts
> across terminals.
>
> Joseph
>
> > It may not work, because the supply voltage is the same across each
> > breaker.  The breaker contacts may not have enough clearance when
> > opening which will  cause arc over.
> >
> > It is best to have a gang circuit breaker such as a 2 pole or 3 pole
> > circuit  breaker with common trip.  Do not use those handle ties on
> > single breakers,  because the slack causes them to turn off one at a
> > time.
> >
> > In our electrical work, we may temporary connect two AC breakers in
> > parallel  so critical systems can still work, while we get a replacement
> > install.
> >
> > Connecting DC circuit breakers in series, the voltage across each
> > breaker  will still read the same supply voltage.  Breakers act like a
> > wire  conductor, not like a voltage divider using resistors.
> >
> > Roland

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I'm sorry if this has been covered but has anyone been able to buy some of the newer high performance lithiums like the A123?
if so from where and for how much

although it's speculation, some numbers around 20-40k$ for the cells in the tesla pack have been floating around and if real that would mean that a 10-15kWh pack might be doable for a lot of people (5-10k$). it might not be longer range than lead acid but they would weigh a lot less and more importantly last a lot longer
Jeff Shanab wrote:
The two large field coils makes the back iron requirement large on a
dc motor. In an AC induction motor the 24 to 36 coils and rotating
magnetic field make the back iron requirement way smaller. The trade
off is that laminations are required to prevent eddy currents. http://www.metricmind.com/images/stator_complete.jpg

No; this isn't the case Jeff.

Let's assume we're talking about a 4-pole motor. The magnetic path has to travel 1/4th away around to get from one pole to the next, for either an AC or DC motor.

You'll notice in that picture that there is *still* a 1/2" thick layer of iron all the way around the outside for the stator windings. It's just that in an AC motor, this iron is part of the stator stack of laminations. It all has to be laminated, because the magnetic field is AC in a an AC motor.

In a DC motor, the outside (field) windings only carry DC, so they don't have to be laminated. This 1/2" thick band of iron only needs to be as long as the pole pieces themselves; but for easy construction they usually use a much longer iron tube, to reach all the way to the end bells.

Note: If you are going to use a PWM controller with a DC motor, then you have to laminate the field pole pieces anyway, because the controller is applying AC to the field (the controller is using the field windings as its inductor).