  1) Re: Thermally effective adhesive
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Dessicant
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Thermally effective adhesive
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Motor weight
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: [EV] USA Today sticks foot in mouth with 25 cars that made a
difference.
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Hybrid battery packs
  7) Re: Dessicant
  8) Re: [EV] USA Today sticks foot in mouth with 25 cars that made a
difference.
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Fuel Cells
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: [EV] Re: might be the electric car of the future
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: The Pontiac Fiero as an EV
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: might be the electric car of the future
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: High voltage cable protection and color coding
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: bicycle computers... in your ev
        by Jeff Mccabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Flywheel
        by "Sam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: tesla car .. tango .. sunrise !
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Poles And Phases
        by "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: a/c for EVs
        by "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Hybrid battery packs
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Thermally effective adhesive
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Dessicant
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: BVS track day
        by Nikki Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Dessicant
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: The Pontiac Fiero as an EV
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) BB 600's
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Thermally effective adhesive
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: [EV] USA Today sticks foot in mouth with 25 cars that made a
difference.
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: bike spedos in evs
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Thermally effective adhesive
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: High voltage cable protection and color coding
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Dessicant
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- There are high temperature gasket sealers made for ice motors that might work.

From: Thomas Ward
 I am considering bonding an integrated IGBT DIP module to the
 aluminum base of a watercooled box. Is this sensible?

I wouldn't depend on any kind of adhesive as the sole means of support in an application like this. I assume the IGBT will be producing heat, so there will be thermal stress on the bond.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Just remember that when dessicants heat up they release the large amounts of water they have absorbed very rapidly and it may pool and cause a much bigger problem than any moisture that would otherwise be present.

From: Thomas Ward
 Is it a good idea to put dessicant sachets inside a controller?

I think it's a good idea, and worth a try. I've seen evidence of water damage inside at least two Curtis controllers, showing that significant amounts of water did get inside.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

Gasket sealers don't conduct heat.

For a thermal and mechanical bond, you need "arctic silver" or "arctic alumina" thermal epoxy. The key here is it's a relatively strong thermal conductor. Still a bit high relative to thermal joint compound, but way better than silicone or anything else.

Ideally you should just bolt it and use joint compound. Thermal joint compound has a better thermal conduction, is not bothered by thermal expansion, and can't fail by breaking off. Note that flatness and rigidity of the heatsink surface is important. If the case is thin metal, it will distort and pull in around the bolt and separate near the pad. Joint compound will not do a great job of filling the gap, the thermal conduction coefficient will be awful and thus severely reduce the device's capacity.

Danny

From: Thomas Ward

 I am considering bonding an integrated IGBT DIP module to the
 aluminum base of a watercooled box. Is this sensible?

I wouldn't depend on any kind of adhesive as the sole means of support in an application like this. I assume the IGBT will be producing heat, so there will be thermal stress on the bond.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

Hey Lee, Jeff, all

Thought I'd finish some thoughts and throw back into
the pot 8^)

--- Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How much over a solid frame?  Again,
> maybe a percent or two.
>
> My choice---laminated poles and a solid frame.  If
> cost was not an issue, then a laminated frame.

It's kinda nice knowing that there is merit in it
although I admit it'd be a lot more work to laminate
vs the solid housing.  I saw the laminated motor that
was linked to earlier and thought it was cool
someone's building them (looked pricey though, lol).
Although for the racers a couple percent gets them
into the 11's or 7's 8^)

>> Anyway, I'm wondering, would this cause a
>> field imbalance and if so by what degree?

> Actually, I'd say not.

Now, how is someone like me suppose to get the
straight dope when you and Lee give me opposing
answers, LMAO 8^P

> Lee noted some motors have belly band frames where a
> second piece of steel is wrapped around the main
> tube.

I've done more than my share of MDY's and MFD's and
such to know all about belly banded motors.  Most of
the small motors are built overseas now and can be
bought for 85.00.  They aren't to bad a motor but they
spot weld the brushes to the fields making them hard
to replace.  Unless they come in really clean it
doesn't pay to put in brushes and bearings and an hour
labor when they are so cheap to buy new.  I don't mind
though as I always hated building those darn small
motors 8^)

Jeff wrote:
> I think the GE motors have a magnetic frame inside
> that thin shell.  Using a laminated pole and
> magnetic
> frame punched from one piece of sheet steel.  This
> is
> why they don't have pole bolts.

No, those aren't the ones I was talking about, those
are throw away piles of crap 8^o

I was refering to the 48 and 48 series GE's like the
one I sent to Chip for this years PODC.  GE made lots
of replacement motors for Pretolite replacements MEE,
MEA, MSS, MSU, MCP's, lots of them.  GE uses square
wire and what always appeared less field coils but
their arms were very close bar count, slots, etc.
Anyway I just wanted to clear up that thin walled GE
thingy 8^)

> Hey, nice job on the WZ motor.  No more rubs????

So far so good 8^)  You think Wayland would let me
pull it from his cold dead fingers to check?  LMAO!

It has to be a torque thing and not an RPM thing or
the front side would have rubbed, so I'm thinking it
happens at the line.  John kept a good eye on the heat
level of the rear side compared to the front last
weekend with no issues.  There was no time for John
and Tim to lock the motor down but he said he'd like
to get that done before the invitational.  It got
through the wall street, OPB, 11 sec wall, so I kinda
feel it's all gravy and nector from here, not that I
wouldn't mind at least a tad of gravy on my tators or
a small sip of nector now and then 8^o

Had fun
Cya

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

No buyers huh.... perhaps that was because GM refused to sell
them?????   I'd buy one if they were available.

On 7/3/07, Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 04:05:21PM -0700, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/top25-vehicles.htm

ouch.

did at least one catch fire recharging?

--
Eduardo K.            |
http://www.carfun.cl  | I'm white and nerdy

--
Zeke Yewdall
Chief Electrical Engineer

CoSEIA Certified
Certified BP Solar Installer
National Association of Home Builders

Quotable Quote

"In the dark of the moon, in flying snow,
in the dead of winter, war spreading,
families dying, the world in danger,
I walk the rocky hillside
sowing clover."

Wendell Berry

I see that hybrid battery packs are being discussed again.

I know they get discussed a lot, but I'm curious, has anyone ever
successfully implemented a hybrid battery pack?  If so, was it worth the
effort?

> From: Thomas Ward
>> Is it a good idea to put dessicant sachets inside a controller?
>
> I think it's a good idea, and worth a try. I've seen evidence of water
> damage inside at least two Curtis controllers, showing that significant
> amounts of water did get inside.

Huh?  I use desicant all the time, I've never noticed it to be effective
against "Significant amounts of water".  Removing excess humidity sure,
but not all that great for controlling water leakage; unless it happens to
be sitting in the middle of the puddle, and even then it doesn't absorb
all that much.

Please...GM could've made the EV1 fire-proof. Few went on fire anyway;
it's not like it cause chaos.

On 7/3/07, Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No buyers huh.... perhaps that was because GM refused to sell
them?????   I'd buy one if they were available.

On 7/3/07, Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 04:05:21PM -0700, Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
> > http://www.usatoday.com/news/top25-vehicles.htm
>

> ouch.
>
> did at least one catch fire recharging?
>

> --
> Eduardo K.            |
> http://www.carfun.cl  | I'm white and nerdy
> http://ev.nn.cl       |               Weird Al

Zeke Yewdall
Chief Electrical Engineer
Sunflower Solar, A NewPoint Energy Company
Cell: 720.352.2508
Office: 303.459.0177
FAX documents to: 720.269.1240
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.cosunflower.com

CoSEIA Certified
Certified BP Solar Installer
National Association of Home Builders

Quotable Quote

"In the dark of the moon, in flying snow,
in the dead of winter, war spreading,
families dying, the world in danger,
I walk the rocky hillside
sowing clover."

Wendell Berry

60% efficient from the tank.  That is normal lab level Fuel Cell
efficiency. To get it in a mobile platform is good.

but...(neglecting transportation costs.)
      cracking the hydrogen of natural gas is no better than oil,
      Splitting water is at best 70% efficient
      Conventional compressing is under 25% efficient
      croyoenic, maybe 40%

put it all togather and
   .6* .7*.4 = ~17%
17% of the energy of that water falling over a dam is avail at the wheels.

Someone mentioned that there is a surplus of hydrogen at some power plants.
 .6*free*.4 = ~25% efficient

If the same power was used to charge a li-ion battery 90% efficient
and used in a well designed EV with 90% efficient motor and 90%
efficinet controller

 .9*.9 *.9 = ~73% efficient.

I have solar on the roof and I make more than my inefficient Lead Sled
uses.

I wish them the best, the potential hybrid sounds good.

Well, that would nicely explain the huge wheel/tire choice...

Tom?

Trot, the ever-curious, fox...

On 7/3/07, Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

you can if you have the center of gravity lower than the axle of
the wheels.

ok, the front wheel will have some load, but very little. it should self
balance even without it. Think child swing..

--
Eduardo K.            |
http://www.carfun.cl  | I'm white and nerdy
http://ev.nn.cl       |               Weird Al

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

There is no clutch cable unless one was added.  There is a rather long
accelerator cable that could bind if not installed properly but it'd
take a truly messed up install for that to be the case.

Trot, the recently-cabled, fox...

On 7/3/07, Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The only negative thing I've ever heard is issues with
a binding clutch cable or some cabling (throttle?)
down the center tunnel.  That may have been just one
model, and three-five years ago...
peace,

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

A conventional vehicle pivots around a point at the center of it's
turning radius, this is usually ~30 feet?
It looks like the evette can claim a turning radius of -1/2 the track?

So a total failure that allows the wheels remain tracked makes a
uncontrolled stop in basically a straight line
a failure that allows a wheel to go to lock and the vehicle tracks in a
striaght line at 1/2 the turning angle, < 25 degrees

Although a severly dangerous situation, the failure modes have limited
range.

Also at the instant that you have for example a 25 degree shift in the
steering, you don't get it. The vehicle will push.
Just stand on the brakes and the front wheels will lock and it will go
in a straight line, the natural reaction of the driver.

In the evette the powered and steering wheels are togather.
So what happens when 1 motor fails on and the driver slams on the
brakes? 1 wheel locks and the other is fighting the motor ?

The ability to turn 90 degrees in the width of the vehicle is kinda
scary to me. The failure mode has to much range.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The local True Value has flexible orange (and blue & black!) hose for drainage pipe. It's about 2" diameter with large ridges. It's too thin to use as conduit, but it'll slide OVER electrical conduit. About $1/ft.

How well does orange paint stick to plain old schedule 40 PVC? Or maybe use orange Monokote (heat shrinkable, adhesive backed plastic film used to cover model airplanes) to color existing conduit...

http://www.monokote.com
http://www.monokote.com/colors/topq0202b.jpg

Adrian

That is how it connects normally. But I talked to the
techs. and they said the inductive pulse from a hall
effect sensor would also work. I havent yet proven
this though.
Jeff

--------------Boundary-00=_SJQM24L0000000000000"
From: "Sam--
From: "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: tesla car .. tango .. sunrise !
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:51:11 +0530

i guess with the tremendous understanding about
things, the sunrise may be a good option

all the best for its success

..peekay

(and thanks for the patient replies to ALL my questions)

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:28:54 -0500

Actually, I think 3 phase is common because it takes less copper to
transport a given amount of power with 3 phase as opposed to single phase.

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: a/c for EVs
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:29:39 -0500

Where in AL.  I am in Alabaster (just southwest of Birmingham).

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:56:50 -0600
From: Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Hybrid battery packs

See posts made by Doug Hartley in September 2004.  He implemented a
AGM/Li-ion hybrid pack that he said works well.  Doug, do you have any
updates on that?  You were talking about adding some additional monitoring.

Bill Dennis

Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 06:33:26 +0100
From: Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Thermally effective adhesive

Thanks for the advice everyone,

Danny,

have you ever used "arctic silver/alumina" to bond an IGBT to a
heatsinking case? Or do you just think it will work?

If this is an epoxy its not going to be easy to remove?

You don't think strain in the IGBT is an issue?

From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Dessicant
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:31:29 -0600

>> Is it a good idea to put dessicant sachets inside a controller?

It will not be effective. The design really needs to be sealed properly. If
the assembly is potted, the potting needs to stick effectively to everything
and form a seal. Any air expansion area really needs to be treated as if it
were full of water. The traditional potting compound used for automotive
controllers is a two-part silicone gel that never sets. It is self-healing
and resists water. It is commonly found in ignition modules. Even with the
remarkable sealing properties, occasionally water damage still occurs.

If the assembly is not potted, it needs to be sealed but allowed also to
breathe with a water impermeable membrane such as a Gore-Tex plug. These are
commonly used on IC engine control modules for this purpose. The Bosch M7
controllers are commonly found underhood, and these have such a plug.
Motorola ICE controllers (Cummins, Saturn, Chrysler, Mercury Marine) have
these plugs - you can see them easily.

If you do not have a pressure equalizing plug, any moisture tends to get
drawn in by temperature fluctuations - even up the wires!!! Many years ago
GM had a problem with coolant being drawn into the engine control computer
via the coolant temperature sensor wires.

-Dale
From: Nikki Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BVS track day
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 06:38:24 +0100
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Hi Folks,

We had a great time. I only went on the Saturday as I was busy on the
Sunday starting work on my Lithium Ion conversion. I couldn't take
the City El as I don't have towing on my license and it was a bit too
far for the El to travel on Lead. We took our Prius and an electric
bike though and had a great time. There's some more photographs here
http://flickr.com/photos/aminorjourney/sets/72157600590946651/ and of
course some coverage on the BVS' new website at http://
www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/wordpress/ .

I can't wait till next year!

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:59:14 -0700
From: Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

If it is sealed, then the dessicant gets the last little bit of moisture
out of the air that was around during assembly and the little bit the
creeps in over time.

If it is not well sealed then it just saturates and stops helping,
(Maybe even making it harder to get things dry in the future.)

PS for those that don't know, the silica gel dessicant is reversable. we
had a tube of it that was pink when it was dry and turned blue as it got
wet.

This was used to calibrate or dry out the dew point meter. Eventually
the desiccant beads would get poured out on a plate and microwaved for a
minute to drive off the moisture, then put back in the calibration tube.
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:01:57 -0700
From: Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: The Pontiac Fiero as an EV

I have friends with fiero's.

They are known for haveing poor brakes in the earlier years and
especially in the 4 banger models.

Putting 87 brakes from the V6 GT or a 90's era grand am is a very common
upgrade. Also replacing the stock brakes lines, they were a little long
for rubber and swell under pressure giving the trademark soft pedal.
From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: BB 600's
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 02:49:55 -0400

Hi EVerybody;

  Micro Sloth is up to it's old stuff! My note an BB600's bounced, said I
wasn't subscribed to the List? Like hell! Have been for YEARS, but I'll use
one of my notes that DID get through.Wipe it clean and forward.

  Point here, Oh, I'm GETTING to it! Anybody want/need some BB600's, like
for a bike, scooter? A reasonable load for a Prius, as I would deliver on my
Portland Pilgrimage in a few daze.Would help defray the expences, too.

  Seeya at PDX

  Bob
From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:45:47 -0600

>You don't think strain in the IGBT is an issue?

I would suggest that the mounting method recommended by the
manufacturer be followed, which, in most cases, for a DIP
IGBT module, would be heat sink goop and screws into a flat
aluminum heatsink or heat spreader.

If you do not require a lot of heat transfer, Loctite 315,
3151, 383, 384, 3872, 3873, or 3874 are designed for the job.
You will need to consult the datasheets for the right one for
you. It is possible that even this method, with the glues
meant for that, may result in a die attachment failure within
your module. Epoxy, or JB weld, is not designed for this and
may cause the module to fail due to the mechanical stresses of
expansion. Be cautious of the thermal transfer capabilites of
anything other than a very flat metal-to-metal contact with
minimal amounts of grease. You can build up a lot of heat
very quickly if you don't calculate these properly. The result
will invariably be a failed module, and typically, it happens
later rather than sooner. Or when you screw up, you know about
it when 1,000 units come back from the field just two days
before the warranty is up... :-(

Older Cummins engine control computers (the old N14 controller)
used piles of TO-220 devices (maybe 25 or 30 of them) glued
onto the heat spreaders using one of these products.
The heat spreaders were cooled by diesel fuel.

-Dale
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 03:01:20 -0400
From: "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: [EV] USA Today sticks foot in mouth with 25 cars that made a
difference.

     Of course the article's title *actually* refers to the Impact, a
one-off (or at least few-off) show-car predecessor to the EV1, which
AFAIK was never offered for sale- hence no buyers. Also if only two
Impacts were built and one caught fire that would yield an "alarming"
rate of car fires...

From: "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: bike spedos in evs
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 02:04:35 -0500

You might also want to check www.aimsports.com

Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:20:11 -0500
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I've used it to mount thin, high power, temp sensitive Lamina LED
emitters to thick aluminum.  It's good stuff.  That company knows
thermal materials.

It's strong stuff if used within date.  Expired, kinda spotty results.
Pretty low thermal resistance.  The mating surface needs to be very flat.

You ain't gonna be removing it if it bonds properly, hope you never need
to replace it.  But any glue bond can be flawed for any number of
reasons and it's not impossible that it could be debond on its own.

If you remove an epoxied component or have a failed joint that left
epoxy on the mating surface, we have a problem.  It may be difficult to
remove the residue while retaining the flatness of the aluminum mating
surface and that will have consequences of raising the thermal
resistance significantly.

I would hesitate to do this sort of permanent mount on a case with a
somewhat failure-prone component, and would be concerned about that
possibility that the device might break free since there's no bolting
system providing guaranteed pressure.  Without some extra "no other way
to do it" factor, I'd bolt and use thermal joint compound.

Danny

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 00:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: High voltage cable protection and color coding
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

What about something like this?

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/colored.html

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 01:03:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

there's a product coin collector's use, might be worth a look:

http://www.vci2000.com/html/emitters.html

          - Tony