  1) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla
 Roadster Battery Pack)
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Wire Size
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery Balancer/Regulator???
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Arnold Flexing for Flex-Fuels
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Jay Leno reviews the Tesla Roadster
 10) Re: Arnold Flexing for Flex-Fuels
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Optimum Animal Controller Frequency
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Tesla, 3-year-cycle?
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Delivery status notification (not) FIXED!! Still Fails!
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Building LiFePO4 packs from many, many 18650s (was Re: Tesla Roadster
Battery Pack)
        by "Ian Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Matthew Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: might be the electric car of the future
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

> Fair pricing leads to mass sales, overpricing leads
> to no sales.
>
> Dan

I don't speak for A123 or have any inside information
to back this up, but I have a couple of opinions that
I strongly believe to be true.  First of all, I
believe they have a successful product, and are
working hard to supply their very big contracts.
Customers like tool manufactures and auto
manufactures.  At this point in time, I believe they
don't have enough excess capacity to be able to supply
small (like a pallet or two) customers.  The law of
supply and demand is keeping the prices high for now.

So why are they selling to the RC hobby crowd?
Another guess is, to get these cells into the hands of
the decision makers at the big companies, the
engineers who also have technical hobbies on the side.
 There are all sorts of quotes about how there are
liars, damn liars, and then there are battery
salesmen... I'm sure the corporate guys up the chain
have heard all sorts of claims about battery
performance, and getting their attention through
"normal" channels (press releases, calls from battery
salesmen, etc) wouldn't be very effective.  So I'm
guessing that A123 decided to make it easy to get
cells in the hands of the very vocal hobbyists, people
who abuse and push cells to the limits.  Once the
hobbyists have seen the performance first hand on the
weekend, they will come in on Monday morning, showing
their bosses just exactly how well the cells
performed.

So why is it cheaper to buy cells from an assembled
product?  This is another guess.  Small startups live
and die with cash flow.  Maybe they had to "sell their
soul" to get that first big contract; the big sales
commitment from a _big_ name, to convince lenders to
lend them $ to fund a production line.  So in order to
get this first big contract, maybe they committed to
selling cells close to, or even below cost.  This may
be hard to believe, but years ago when my Dad worked
for Zenith, just before they pretty much went under,
they were selling TV sets below cost, just to bring in
enough $ to make payroll.

These are just my opinions, formed from opportunities
of getting to see both sides of the fence.  You can
choose to believe them, or just use it as more
evidence for some big conspiracy.  But I've got
nothing to gain by promoting my opinions.

- Steven Ciciora

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

I expected this argument to be made but was hoping it wasn't
if they have difficulty producing enough then that should translate into waiting periods. not fucking the EV world

Steven Ciciora wrote:
[...]

Hello Mark,

In our wire installation according to the NEC (National Electrical Code) we
are not allow to use a insulated No. AWG 2 copper 19 stranded wire that is
even rated for 90 degrees C (194F) on 150 amps.

The maximum we can use a 90C wire in a enclosure, conduit or duct way is 137
amps.  If its suspended in air, than we can go to 150 amps at a maximum
insulation temperature of 75C.

The maximum ampere we can use on a 2/0 wire is 186 amps with a insulation
rating of 90C. in a ambient air temperature of 30c.

My motor ampere is at a continuous amp draw of 200 amps, which I am 14 amps
over.  It should be 3/0 which is good for 214 amps at 30c ambient.

In electrical calculations of a circuit, you must include two times the
length of run of a circuit.  For example, I have a 25 foot run of 2/0 cable
from the battery pack to the motor.  Also there is 45 feet of 2/0 links on
the batteries.

This is (25+45)x2 = 140 feet circuit run.  We keep the distance of 2/0
overhead suspended conductor to about 100 feet maximum at 200 amp maximum.
In a duct way, we have to drop this to 186 amps.

From: "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Optimum Animal Controller Frequency
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:54:32 -0500

Hi,

I set my last controller off laminatyion flabulation resonance around 1500 hertz to keep road kill down and improve controller efficiency. I didn't hit a single bear,deer,muskrat,squirel,dog,cat or beaver in the ten year period with my Electro-Metro or E-jeep (Tracker).

With the ni-cad E-Porsche using the ye-ol Curtis PMC25 oiperating at 2kHz I notice that all the animals run out of the way but start chasing me.

I'm assuming that 1.5kHz would be better but is there an optimum animal dispersion frequency/chart where the animals won't follow you to work?

Have a road-kill-free day,
Mark in Roanoke, VA

Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!  http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2
I think Tesla will survive in the long run.

Martin Eberherd has no auto design experience, but he isn't the one
designing the car. He's the CEO. That insanely rich man who created
pay pal seems happy put down 35 million for the company. Between
Martin's start-up experiences, Elon Musk's bounty of cash, and all the
designers from Lotus, I'm sure the company willl do well. The next few
years will be tough though.

On 7/10/07, lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I often wonder the same thing, "Is this another
proto-HYPE?", but only time will tell.  The winds are
in their favor as with many other start-ups right now,
but lets see if they can maintain momentum and PRODUCE
a product.  I wish them the best.

--- Mark Hanson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In looking at the hoopla surounding Tesla I'm
> curious if they don't follow
> the standard 3-year-cycle of a lot of techy
> companies do until a
> better/cheaper mousetrap comes up.  With 6831 cells
> the reliability or MTBF
> will be dismal as well as the car is overpriced for
> the average buying
> public.  The last article I saw stated that the
> chairman Eberhard doesn't
> have auto design experience.    I've seen and been
> with quite a few
> 3-year-cycle companies, (larger than Tesla) they
> tend to make great initial
> claims, get investors, hire a bunch of stary eyed
> folk's and then things
> fizzle as they can't get their costs/price down to
> compete with conventional
> technology or the customers/investors discover that
> a lot of their claims
> are balony.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mark

> http://newlivehotmail.com

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

I have no blackberry and I'm getting the notifications!

On 7/10/07, Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Should be fixed now- they did not delete the account as stated...

On Jul 9, 2007, at 9:38 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Luckily you don't like new toys ;-)
>
> I think your regular email was forwarded to your blackberry account,
> because I tried to email you privately and again got the failure
> from the blackberry account, so I could not reach you to tell
> you about the issue - catch 22.
>
> UPDATE!!! I am still getting "delivery status notification (Failed)
> The contents of the message are:
> Your message:
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: My power consumption
> Sent Date: Mon Jul 09 21:33:26 2007
> has not been delivered to the recipient's BlackBerry Handheld.
> The returned error status is <DB_USER_SUSPENDED_MODE>
>

> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

He appears to be a professional troll:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=23812564

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:xceyc1OkOxIJ:www.startrek-online.net/mes
sageboard/showthread.php%3Fp%3D125590+Dan+Frederiksen&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl
=us

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/16/nasas-spidernaut-robot-arachnid/

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2007/02/as_a_matter_of_.html