  1) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: The flow of current
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack (was: 12vdc/120vac inverter)
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: The flow of current
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Toyo AGM Batteries
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: The flow of current
  7) Re: The flow of current
  8) Re: The flow of current
  9) Re: The flow of current
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: How to run appliances off your EV pack (was: 12vdc/120vac inverter)
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Jul 13, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Lee Hart wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
How many Ah's do I need for a small car to travel 10 miles on 144v
in moderate driving conditions?

Let's assume about 300 watthours per mile; that's typical for a small car that doesn't have any big problems like dragging brakes, soft tires, etc. Then 10 miles takes 10 x 300 = 3000 watthours. 3000 watthours / 144v = 20.8 amphours.

Now, 10 miles at 50 mph only takes 12 minutes or 0.2 hours. So, you need a battery that can supply at least 20.8 amphours at this rate. 20.8 amphours / 0.2 hours = 104 amps.

Batteries usually advertise their 20-hour capacity; their capacity at 12 minutes is considerably less. You'll have to dig to find the capacity specifications at different discharge rates for the particular battery you pick. But the 12-minute capacity will be on the order of 1/3rd of the 20-hour capacity. Thus you need about a 60 amphour battery at the 20-hour rate.

I like the math but hasn't the real world pretty much proven that 12 Optima group 34 deep cycle batteries (50 ah rated) can handle 10 miles quite easily? The pack would have a drop dead range of around 15 miles, less if driven at high speeds.

Paul "neon" Gooch

Here is more of the deal.. I used jumper cables with 2 12 volt batteries and
the dam things lit on fire.. Ok they were cheap cables and I ran the
batteries in series so I got 24 volts.
But I want to see the motor work in the car. Before I spend the cash on the
controller.
So I will get some serious wire Like I have been told. Welders wire and a
switch.. Maybe I will make a knife switch out of angle iron?? I have the
flag switches.. Maybe 3 of them in line could handle the current .. What do
you think on that?
And well if I put 3 12 batteries in series so I got 36 volts would that be
tolerated my the motor and the batteries?
 for say 5 or 10 min?

Mitchell

From: Peter VanDerWal
Date: 7/15/2007 11:18:34 PM
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Did you just short the batteries out, or did you connect them to the motor?

Is this the motor that was mentioned earlier that wobbled? If so was it
The shaft wobbling or the whole motor? If it was the shaft, does the
Motor have a bearing on the shaft side, or can yo move the shaft back and
Forth?

> Here is more of the deal.. I used jumper cables with 2 12 volt batteries
> and
> the dam things lit on fire.. Ok they were cheap cables and I ran the
> batteries in series so I got 24 volts.
> But I want to see the motor work in the car. Before I spend the cash on
> the
> controller.
> So I will get some serious wire Like I have been told. Welders wire and a
> switch.. Maybe I will make a knife switch out of angle iron?? I have the
> flag switches.. Maybe 3 of them in line could handle the current .. What
> do
> you think on that?
> And well if I put 3 12 batteries in series so I got 36 volts would that be

> tolerated my the motor and the batteries?
> for say 5 or 10 min?
>
> Mitchell

wish with the message. By posting the message you agree that your long

I have a 144v pack. It runs a laptop power supply brick and my
electric chainsaw just fine. I expect that any tools with brush type
motors will work fine-but the switches might have a short life.  See
phil's answer How to run appliances off your EV pack at 3:33 July 15