  1) Re: Motor volts, was Re: 6v or 12v
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) David, Remove this Troll!!  Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Curtis Battery Book
        by James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) single point battery automatic watering systems
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Electric Evette
        by "Tom S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: 6v or 12v
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Drawbacks re Zap Xebra motor?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: "Tree House" Controller
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) regen thoughts
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: MetricMind in the news
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: MetricMind in the news
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric Evette
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: MetricMind in the news
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: regen thoughts
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: MetricMind in the news
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: new motor concept, brushless
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Unrealistic expectations (was Re: 'Tree House' Controller
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: MetricMind in the news
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Virtual Instrumentation Solution
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Fast Charging
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re:1st street ev smile/frown
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: ICS-200 (not 2000) Charger
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: ICS-200 (not 2000) Charger
        by Jim Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: 6v or 12v
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: VW Super EV Project for Sale
        by "Jim Sylvester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: new motor concept, brushless
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Zilla inside picture (Hot, Cold and Broken)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: ICS-2000 Charger
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: single point battery automatic watering systems
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: MetricMind in the news
        by "Freddie Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: 1st street ev smile/frown
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Begin Message --- In fact it's a bit worse because wire insulation is stressed by high dV/dT, PWM being a worse-case situation although these freqs are not extremely high.

The stress not only has a greater potential to break down insulation- new or old- but it will also actually wear out insulation faster. The same is true of elevated temps, fortunately motor insulation was designed for higher temps.

The fact remains though that I've heard very little of anyone having an insulation failure even though these motors are often run at many times their initial rated voltage. That is enough evidence for me that it is not a significant issue in these specific apps.

Danny

James Massey wrote:

At 11:44 PM 20/07/07 -0400, Dimitri wrote:

If you're using a Zilla, you can limit motor volts while still having a 240v battery pack.

G'day All

(I'm back, for those who are interested, I signed off for a little while to free up some time).

When running a PWM controller, any PWM controller, your motor will see the turned-on pulse voltage. The Zilla controller limit is the average maximum voltage the motor sees. For example, if you had a pack at 240V and limited the motor to 120V the controller will not go above 50% on time. The motor still gets those 240V pulses, however, so the insulation must be in good condition to put up with it.

If the motor insulation is not up to it, you could end up developing two frame shorts in the motor (or a frame short in the motor and another at the batteries, if their insulation to frame is not up to it either).

Hope this helps.

Regards

[Technik] James

         Hi David and All,
              Please remove this troll as he is just here to
satify his sick need for attention and makes helping others
harder and wastes everyones time. Life is too short to put
up with him.
              And others should stop answering his posts
too. It just encourages him.
                           Thank you,
                                 Jerry Dycus
From: Dale Ulan
> PWM controllers limit average motor volts, but the peak voltage seen
> at the motor is still pretty much pack voltage. It's averaged out in
> the inductance of the field and armature, but the brushes still see
> the peak voltages.

Not quite. The field of a series motor has most of the inductance, so most of
the AC voltage drop is across it. Let's say your pack is 120vdc, and your PWM
controller is switching 0 120v 0 120v at a 50% duty cycle. The average armature
voltage is 50% of 120v = 60v. But the instantaneous armature voltage will be
something like 50v 70v 50v 70v (20 volts peak-to-peak), and the instantaneous
field voltage will be -50v +50v -50v +50v (100 volts peak-to-peak).

If there is no series field (PM motor), then of course the armature and brushes
see the full 0 120v 0 120v voltage.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James

From: Peter VanDerWal
> Just a suggestion, but before you attempt a motor that would give
> an MIT Physics class nightmares, perhaps you could try building
> some smaller, simpler, BLDC motors? Once you figure out how to
> make them work reliably, you'll already know the answer to this
> question.

I agree. Motor designs scale very well, and are highly predictable. Making a
small working model is a lot easier and cheaper. You can learn a lot about the
strengths and weaknesses of your design, and do as many redesigns as it takes
to get it to work satisfactorily,

On rhombic windings; get some surplus "printed circuit" motors, and take them
apart to learn from. It is particularly easy to make small printed circuit
motors. The rotor is a printed circuit board, which is easy to design and get
small quantities made at very high precision.

From: Cor van de Water
> article about thermal design "Hot Cold and Broken"...
> "This electric-car-motor controller experienced a catastrophic
> failure (courtesy Otmar Ebenhoech)."
> http://www.edn.com/article/CA6426879.html?ref=nbsa

That's (what's left of) a Curtis 1221 controller.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net

I can't read what you're saying. Please use plain text instead so we
can read your e-mails.

On 7/20/07, Steve Gibbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_00EA_01C7CB18.0F269970"
Sender: "Steve Gibbs--

I think I've seen these convers you put on batteries that puts water
back into the battery.

I don't remember if you added water to it, or if it used the hydrogen
the battery produced or what.

On 7/21/07, Michael Mohlere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Does anyone on the list have experience w/ these systems and can recommend
one system over another or provide any other useful data for comparison
(cost, performance, etc..)??

Thx, Mike

I agree about the lease option.  I would not want to lease any vehicle that
I did not have the option to purchase.  Also it would depend on what
happened with the money that you had already spent on the lease.  Would this
money be lost or would it be taken off of the purchase price of the EV.  I
am definitely interested in purchasing a new EV, depending on price, but I
would be very skeptical about leasing anything without an owner purchase
clause included.

Thanks, Freddie
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/899
http://www.southernev.com/dakotaev.htm

________
> > > Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with
Yahoo! FareChase.
> > > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

> In a message dated 7/21/2007 1:01:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The S10 project I started 18 months ago ran under its own power this morning
a couple of miles.Its a ROCKET!! BUT I did not put the hood pins in the hood
so I now have a smashed hood,cowling and windshield.Back to the paint shop on
monday.
<

Bummer about the hood.  Bet that was exciting though!

The air locker rear end really does work keeps the truck strait on a
hard take off.The reverse circuit allows about 3mph even on a good grade.I
never
saw over 400 motor amps on the hard takeoffs that I did.To refresh all this
s10 has a full 7.50 nhra cage,a 13in motor,a air locker 9 inch ford rear with
40
spline axels.Its all still steel and real glass windows including the rear
window with the cage coming through it.Beard race seats,tach,spedo,volt and
ampmeter and aux.voltmeter.The amp and volt meters read battery and motor
amps/volts.It has a zilla 2khv,rudman 20 charger,air front suspension,coil
over ladder
bar rear suspension,32 26ah hawker genisis,dc to dc stepup,ect.

<

STOP!!!!  Your making me drool all over my keyboard!

:)

Ken