  1) Two EV vans on e-bay
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) NEON > Indicator lamps for contactor operation
        by "Roger Daisley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: The questions on the EV-1C
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) New to List
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Indicator lamps for contactor operation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Indicator lamps for contactor operation - LED?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: NEON > Indicator lamps for contactor operation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) helixev update - website announcement
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) chevy transmissions...
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Looking for zilla speed sensor mount design/picutres for double    >
shaft
        by "Adrian DeLeon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Toyota Plug in Prius Video
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Toyota Plug in Prius Video
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: single speed vs xmission
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Re: single speed vs xmission
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DIY Electric Car Forums
        by BrownGassyTurd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Wh/Mile  Formula ?
        by Jeremy Rutman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: helixev update - website announcement
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: helixev update - website announcement
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Indicator lamps for contactor operation
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by Brian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
1989  GMC : 3500 Vandura Item number: 320138527359

I noticed these 2 vans are still relatively cheap -
$1500 / ea.  One is NiCD.  One is NiMH.  Lots of
views, few bids.  Anyone know the history on these?
Supposedly (according to the auction) the NiCDs are
still good and hold a charge.  Still, the vans are
listed as not running.

that gives answers, not web links.

I hope this forum that just popped up, isn't some sort
of scam,  it might relieve you seasoned EV'rs from the
postings of us newbies, that don't search the archives
quite as well as needed (Yes I'm guilty).  I'd hate to
see some of you guys leave the EVDL list, due to all
the new postings from us newbies.  Please keep in mind
most of us are all working towards the same goal, to
be driving a EV rather than an ICE and for me, getting
the word out to more and more people about EV
conversions can only be a good thing.

--- joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I haven't seen it before you posted, but I have a
> very good spam filter, and
> it may have caught it.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Neon sound like a good way to go. Can you give an example of the neon unit?
I did a quick perusal of Digi-key and came up with a min. order of 200
units.
Roger Daisley
http://ElectricVW.blogspot.com

At 05:20 PM 25/07/07 -0700, Steve wrote:
<snip>

The control cards I have ... Flight
Systems universal replacement card.

Funny this should come up the day after I took a chance and bought a "Flight Systems universal card" off Ebay. It'll take about a fortnight to get to me, the auction photos didn't state an operating range.

It actually calls itself "EV-1 COMBINATION CARD", model seems to be 13-ECOM-E1 and the lable also says that it is a direct replacement for:
IC3645OSC1A3
IC3645OSC1B3
IC3645OSC1C3
IC3645OSC1E3
IC3645OSC1E9
IC3645OSC3E9
IC3645OSC5E9
IC36450SC1A4
IC36450SC1B4
IC3645OSC1D3
IC3645OSC1E4
IC3645OSC2E9
IC3645OSC4E9

Anyone know what the highest voltage is that this replaces?

Thanks

[Technik] James
Hello from Tempe AZ,

My name is Brian and this is my first day on this list. I have been looking
into converting a compact wagon such as Ford's Escort over to electric. I have
extensive experience working on IC powered cars, so the mechanics of converting
a car is not terribly worrisome. The electrical side is a bit more of a
challenge for me. I have started putting a spread sheet together so that I can
make changes to my design / designs and see the theoretical results. If any of
you are interested in taking a look at this spreadsheet, here is a link

http://www.box.net/shared/2st7b53bqe

This version of the spreadsheet is not finished, and as I learn more, I am
constantly going back and fixing mistakes. However, any advice is welcome. I'm
pretty inexperienced with this type of car, so I am sure that mistakes exist on
this version of the spreadsheet that I am not yet aware of.

Brian Jackson

That answers my question. Thank you for the quick response.

Brian

---- Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
> If we could get a http://www.flybo-ev.com/ car to go 10 miles further and
> 10mph faster that would be a nice accomplishment.

Not to mention illegal in most states and possibly unsafe.

Haha, I also joined and I am also new here. What a coincidence. Is that the
only EV message board?

Brian

---- Greg Catanzarita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
I joined. Oh ya. By the way, Hi im new here.

On 7/25/07, Jerry Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did.  Jerry Wagner

Jeff Shanab wrote:
A neon bulb across the contactor will be lit when the contactor is not
pulled in and not lit if either the rest of the circuit is dead or the
contactor is shut.

I think there is a way with a diode to make it the opposite. Neon bulbs
can handle the high voltage and don't pass enough current to effect
anything.

I have neon lamps in my EV. One is across the controller input (lights when there is power to the controller. One is across the charger output before it bridge rectifier (lights when it is applying voltage), and one lights when the auxiliary circuits (right now just the heater) has pack power.

For a panel mount, I use Digi-key's 67-1167-ND ( red) or yellow or green. You would need a dropping resistor of about 6000 ohms and 3 or more watts to give you about 20ma through the LED.

An NE2 or equivalent neon lamp only draws a few ma for full brightness, so a dropping resistor is all you need. The total power dissipation is under 1/2 watt. As high voltage low current indicators, neons easily beat LEDs.

I did.

Dave

From: Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: DIY Electric Car Forums
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01
Roger Daisley wrote:
Neon sound like a good way to go. Can you give an example of the neon
unit? I did a quick perusal of Digi-key and came up with a min. order
of 200 units.

Neon lamps are a commodity item, used by the millions and carried by thousands of stores. Even hardware stores have them. I guess light bulbs aren't "electronic" enough for Digikey. :-)

See www.jameco.com part#s 1765849, 215803, 215811, 215830, 1585485 (all panel mount neons, including holder and resistor, $1-$2 each), or part#s 27351, 210315, 1766064, or 1770744 (bare bulbs, $0.29-$0.57 each).

Or, see www.mouser.com; they have literally hundreds to choose from.

Well my motor and old engine are both down at a local machine shop
getting an adapter made. The guys who work there are excited about it
and said they like working on "cool projects" :D  also I was quoted a
far lower price than it would have cost to get my tranny shipped to
the lower 48 to have one made.
Living on the coast in a fishing town seems to have it's advantages
for building and EV, with all the aluminum boat welding shops, machine
shops that are used to all sorts of adapting and all the boat supplies
like high current cabling, lugs etc.

I just put up my website to document the conversion, www.helixev.com

Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup
'hElix EV'
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

I got it. It was in spam...

--
Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup
'hElix EV'
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

So, I'm trying to figure out how to mount my big motor (which I think
we've agreed is a sepex motor) to my transmission....    it's got a
nice adaptor on it now which will alledgedly bolt directly to a Borg
Warner T-10 transmission with a chevy V-8 bellhousing.  Clutch and all
(it was in a 1967 corvette previously)

But, I've got a little 4 speed mazda transmission (Ford Courier
pickup).    I thought of three options....

1) Fit chevy bell housing to mazda transmission, and try to make chevy
clutch disc connect to mazda input shaft, and mazda slave cylinder
activate the chevy clutch fork.

2) use a chevy transmission, and get a new driveshaft made.  I thought
since the S-10 is a popular EV conversion, some of your migth have
ideas on what sort of transmission might work for this... do any of
the S-10 transmissions bolt to a V-8 engine?

3) redo the adaptor, to bolt to the mazda transmission bell housing,
and use the mazda flywheel and clutch setup.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Zeke

Scam?  Like what?

The facts are:

- Most people on this list would like to see EVs go mainstream.
- Allot of people on this list have no idea how to search the archive or where to go to do it, nor do they wish to take the time to figure it out when a web forum offers the convenience right in front of their faces on every single page.

Mailing lists of this size are unwieldy and antiquated - and not readily embraced by the AOL/MySpace generation of internet users.

I used to run a fairly large mailing list and am familiar with many aspects of operating them, but I hate the snot out of the format now. Instead of just browsing through threads adressing subjects of immediate interest or being able to easily and conveniently search, I end up having to press the delete key endlessly on stuff that I am not the least bit interested in.

Mailing lists are best for immediate polling of the knowledge base of it's users or for sending alerts, but when it comes to the basics, we need something better. I'm not complaining about the quality of the discussion here, but merely the shotgun disorganized nature of the format. Until something better catches on, it will do. But I really hope something better catches on!

If we wanted to make EV conversion easier and more mainstream, doesn't it make sense to make the access to the information meet the same criteria?

Someday, I will be a seasoned EV'er, and I probably won't be talking about it much here except to redirect people to a more convenient format.

I have registered on the new forum and hope to see many others do so as well. Continuing to stick to this list as the sole means of technical support is a Luddistic insistance on not progressing the cause.

--
Kip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Barkley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I hope this forum that just popped up, isn't some sort
of scam,  it might relieve you seasoned EV'rs from the
postings of us newbies, that don't search the archives
quite as well as needed (Yes I'm guilty).  I'd hate to
see some of you guys leave the EVDL list, due to all
the new postings from us newbies.  Please keep in mind
most of us are all working towards the same goal, to
be driving a EV rather than an ICE and for me, getting
the word out to more and more people about EV
conversions can only be a good thing.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:16:13 -0700, Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I need to mount the speed sensor on an ADC 9" double shaft motor. I'm sure
that someone has already built a bracket to mount the stock sensor at
the free end of the tail shaft.  If you have pictures and/or dwgs and
measurements of such a bracket, please drop me a line.

I found that a 2 1/2" PVC pipe cap fits very snugly around the raised ring at the base of the tailshaft on my Impulse 9" motor. I used a dremel to cut a hole for the sensor pickup and secured it with two sheet metal screws. This was a quick and dirty hack to get me on the road, but it's been in place for over a year now and is still holding up. In fact, I had to use a small hammer to remove the PVC cap to make an adjustment to the pickup.

I didn't "engineer" a proper solution because the other drilled/tapped holes on the motor face were covered by my motor mount :(

-Adrian

I can't read your post, but I saw the video. If you look closely
you'll see an E-Com!

But I have to admit, is Toyota trying to have people the Prius's
design. I mean, the way it already is, it doesn't look so great. Did
they really need to add the frilly flowers and birds?

Toyot says that they're not using lithium batteries but just a bigger
NiMH pack, Maybe the whole patent issue with Cosaby and Panasonic is
over or the patent has expired?

On 7/25/07, Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If I remember correctly, they're just using two strings of the 6.5Ah Panasonic prismatic NiMH batteries - more or less two of the existing Prius battery packs in parallel. (So not violating any Cobasys patent licensing.)

The stated 13km range is pretty puny though, I don't think plugin hybrids will gain traction (unintentional pun) until the electric range is more like 50kms. Which pretty much means lithium batteries. (It might be possible with lead, but with all the ICE weight in there as well it'd get way too heavy.)

-Ian

On 26/07/2007, at 12:40 PM, Joseph T. wrote:

I can't read your post, but I saw the video. If you look closely
you'll see an E-Com!

But I have to admit, is Toyota trying to have people the Prius's
design. I mean, the way it already is, it doesn't look so great. Did
they really need to add the frilly flowers and birds?

Toyot says that they're not using lithium batteries but just a bigger
NiMH pack, Maybe the whole patent issue with Cosaby and Panasonic is
over or the patent has expired?

On 7/25/07, Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----

<<<<
Kind of looks like a scam.

> I got it. Hm. I thought sharing EV info. was what this list was for...
>
> David Brandt
>

>> How many people with an EV on the EValbum got this
>> message, just curious,
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Hello, My name is Robert Green. I just saw your EV on
> austinev albums and thought I'd invite you to a new EV
> conversion community I'm starting up. The point of the
> community is to organize conversion information, help

Naw, just another one of those who don't like the EVDL's simplicity, but this
one used one of our own resources for recruitment spamming. I don't think it
will dilute the intellectual concentration here because the "old guard" who are
doing EVs for a living don't have time to navigate a forum, just read their
inbox and respond or delete. Personally, I use the Yahoo "ev" group to read the
digests and keep my inbox out of the traffic flow.

just a chain trany: small sprocket on motor, large on
wheel.  ratio is from 3:1 to 6:1 normally, but with
chain you can go from 1:10 to 10:1 easy, though a
wider range is possible

wrote:

> the thing is i think i need some reduction over the
> ~4:1 of the
> differential.  also the existing gear fits where its
> supposed to and
> includes the diff. getting a diff with 10:1 ratio
> emans buying it from azure
> or electroauto which is fine but i dont need it
> right now so i can
> save some time and $
> do you have a special fixed reduction on your cycles
> or do your
> motorcycle electric motors have
> similar torque/rpm to the engines they replace
>
> >From: dale henderson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >single speed harder and more expensive?  i'm still
> in
> >the planning stages of a four wheeled vehicle but
> from
> >working on electric motorcycles i find single speed
> >easy while hooking up to an existing trany seems
> >harder?  that gives me hope that an electric car is
> >not as hard as i'm making it out to be!
>

> Jeremy Rutman
> Technion Physics Dep't
> Haifa 32000
> Israel
> 972 4 8293669

Albuquerque, NM
http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1221
http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/

<<<<
IMHO
It is political. we may want electric vehicles but
there are powerful folks who want to make them as
inconvient and unuasable as possible. It really has
nothing to do with saftey. Untill Toyota, Ford, GM
etc make electrics (which they will only do when
forced to) we will all have an up hill battle.

--- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Not to mention illegal in most states and possibly
> unsafe.
> >

> I think that the requirement that NEV's not go
> faster than 25mph is
> quite unsafe. Because they are allowed on roads
> with speed limits of
> 35 and below. We all know that when the speed limit
> is 35, everyone
> is going more like 40.

I drive one of the EV Rangers that Ford was forced to make (then publicly shamed
into selling what wasn't already crushed), so we *know* it's possible. They
could get just as much profit from the original sale of an EV as the ICE
equivalent, but Henry Ford, when asked about the low price of Model T's, said
something like "I could give them away and make all my profit on upkeep" -
without an engine or transmission, what would keep the dealers afloat?  I have
to admit, I do feel safer in a pickup at 70mph than an NEV on busy
streets...but then, I don't bicycle very often either!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- You may not need any extra reduction.. What motor(s) were you thinking of using? Series DC motors have a whole lot of torque.

I'm currently doing an MX5 direct drive with two Advanced DC L91s, 6.7" series DC motors. Out of interest, here are some numbers..

The petrol engine has 140Nm of torque *peak*. Admitedly, it's pretty modest for an ICE.

1st gear ratio is 3.136 : 1. Therefore, with a direct drive setup you need about 440Nm of torque from an electric motor to have the same torque as the ICE had peak - it'll actually be much quicker because the electrics have such a great torque curve. 440Nm is quite feasible from an 11" motor, or a couple of smaller motors.

The diff ratio in the MX5 is 4.3:1, which means the motor will be spinning at a lazy 4000rpm at 100km/h, and top out (6000rpm) at about 150km/h - I can't imagine needing more than this.

If using an AC motor though, you'd probably want a 2:1 reduction though since they generally rev much higher and have less torque.

-Ian

From: dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

single speed harder and more expensive?  i'm still in
the planning stages of a four wheeled vehicle but from
working on electric motorcycles i find single speed
easy while hooking up to an existing trany seems
harder?  that gives me hope that an electric car is
not as hard as i'm making it out to be!

Jeremy Rutman
Technion Physics Dep't
Haifa 32000
Israel
972 4 8293669

As it was recruitment for another souce of EV info,  I wouldn't have
considered it spam; and even though I did not receive an email invite,
I'm glad you guys made me aware of it.
I've heard attempts at  web based "EVDL replacements" (if you choose
to consider them that) have failed in the past, but don't see why they
can't co-exist and even complement each other.
The way some here speak of those new-fangled web based boards makes me
wonder if the EVDL's mission is being fulfilled to the fullest extent
possible.
The EVDL is currently like a secret handshake to new users. Just look
at the amount of people not "getting" the text only format and bugging
the hell out of the veterans.
I'm just glad that other forms of disseminating EV info exists.
YouTube videos of White Zombie to complement the stories here is an
awesome (cool, groovy, tight, sweet, [insert your generation's slang
for swell]) experience.
Here's hoping that Robert Green makes it, and/or that someone else
tries again if he doesn't succeed.

Still bummed I wasn't worthy of an invite though,
Manny

> <<<<
> Kind of looks like a scam.
>
> > I got it. Hm. I thought sharing EV info. was what this list was for...
> >
> > David Brandt
> >

> >> How many people with an EV on the EValbum got this
> >> message, just curious,
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > Hello, My name is Robert Green. I just saw your EV on
> > austinev albums and thought I'd invite you to a new EV
> > conversion community I'm starting up. The point of the
> > community is to organize conversion information, help
> >>>>

> Naw, just another one of those who don't like the EVDL's simplicity, but this
> one used one of our own resources for recruitment spamming. I don't think it
> will dilute the intellectual concentration here because the "old guard" who
> are
> doing EVs for a living don't have time to navigate a forum, just read their
> inbox and respond or delete. Personally, I use the Yahoo "ev" group to read
> the
> digests and keep my inbox out of the traffic flow.

--
Manny

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1117
http://EVorBust.blogspot.com

you can use range[km]=250 x capacity[kWh] / (mass[kg]^0.6)
or range[miles]=250 x capacity[kWh] / (mass[lbs]^0.6)
{same due to lucky cancellation , #km/mile = (#kilograms/lb)^0.6  }
comparison of various range formulas, graphs at http://physics.technion.ac.il/~rutman/range.htm the formula is based on real data from the evdl and there is spread of results due to factors not in the formula such as: aero coeff, regen or no, driving style (e.g. avg speed), hilliness, peukert etc. Uve's groovy calculation page is branched off http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8679/ev.html

From: Jeff Mccabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wh/Mile  Formula ?
Here's a simple one. Cant remember how to figure out
my Wh/Mile . Also is there a site that has many of the
relevant formulas for us ev'ers.
Thanks, Jeff

Jeremy Rutman
Technion Physics Dep't
Haifa 32000
Israel
972 4 8293669
Hey things are looking up in the world of Alaskan EV's.  Don in Kodiak has been
driving his VW Golf now for a couple months, Dave
down in Juneau just took delivery of a ZAP Xebra a few days ago, You are
getting your adaptor plate ready to mount your motor,
Bart just moved his Super Beetle under its own power today :-)  You gotta see
his "Range Extending Trailer" video on which he
towed THE (single) battery that moved his car up the road :-)  And if I'm not
wrong Mike Golub in Fairbanks is working on a Geo
conversion.

Anyway, good job on the progress. If I were to make a recommendation, if you
are not already doing it, keep a detailed handwritten
journal.  I kept a lose journal on my Mitsubishi and am starting to remember
little stories that I didn't write down that I'm soon
to forget, again.  I kept real good detail of the parts, pieces and numbers.
But its the words and the story that I wish I had
written more about.  So I have a little book I carry around for the Crazyhorse
Pinto Project.  EVerything I do gets written down
(EVen the arrival of Jim Husted's "Pimped Out" motors :-).  I can carry it in
my back pocket.  The journal for the Mitsubishi was
a big 5 section spiral bound notebook and sat on the workbench the whole time.
Writing in that thing while I was a all grungy was
the last thing I wanted to do.  This way the book stays with me and if I think
of something to write, its right there :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Keeping a journal is a good idea. I prefer to have a camera handy and take
pictures as I go. Then, when it comes time to update my web site, I simply
scroll through the pictures and write about that particular step in the build.
I don't have an EV yet, so my builds are all IC projects. The documentation
works the same though.

Brian

---- Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
Hey things are looking up in the world of Alaskan EV's.  Don in Kodiak has been
driving his VW Golf now for a couple months, Dave
down in Juneau just took delivery of a ZAP Xebra a few days ago, You are
getting your adaptor plate ready to mount your motor,
Bart just moved his Super Beetle under its own power today :-)  You gotta see
his "Range Extending Trailer" video on which he
towed THE (single) battery that moved his car up the road :-)  And if I'm not
wrong Mike Golub in Fairbanks is working on a Geo
conversion.

Anyway, good job on the progress. If I were to make a recommendation, if you
are not already doing it, keep a detailed handwritten
journal.  I kept a lose journal on my Mitsubishi and am starting to remember
little stories that I didn't write down that I'm soon
to forget, again.  I kept real good detail of the parts, pieces and numbers.
But its the words and the story that I wish I had
written more about.  So I have a little book I carry around for the Crazyhorse
Pinto Project.  EVerything I do gets written down
(EVen the arrival of Jim Husted's "Pimped Out" motors :-).  I can carry it in
my back pocket.  The journal for the Mitsubishi was
a big 5 section spiral bound notebook and sat on the workbench the whole time.
Writing in that thing while I was a all grungy was
the last thing I wanted to do.  This way the book stays with me and if I think
of something to write, its right there :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Lot of replies about what lamp would work, but two things:

1) Wouldn't a lamp on the controller side of the contactor from B+ to B- stay on a _long_ time, until the capacitor bank discharges? 2) Similarly, a lamp across the contactor could charge the capacitor bank when the contactor is open, unless the leakage is enough to keep the lamp lit.

Frank John wrote:
I'm interested in wiring indicator lamps to the contactor output (2 contactor
system) to show state i.e. open or closed.  That means finding a small light or
lamp that works at pack voltage (120 VDC nominal).  Mouser shows a lamp
(606-CM8-3995) that I think will do the job but I'm open to suggestions or
experience.  Has anyone found an interesting way to accomplish this?  Will the
lamp I mentioned work?

TIA

All this talk about low maintenance EVs versus IC powered vehicles. Is it
really so profound a difference? My wife drives a 98 Tacoma that has never been
in the shop for anything other than plugs, wires, air filters, oil filters and
oil. Shoot, I think the thing is still on its original battery. Wow, that thing
is 9 years old. Maybe I should replace it one of these days. We have never
serviced the brakes, and they show no sign of fading to this day. We have
probably spend about $100 per year on basic tune up stuff. Are EVs really that
much better?

Maybe if we were comparing EV maintenance to American car reliability. A Yugo
is probably more reliable than our 40,000 mile '01 Dodge 1/2 ton. What a pile
that thing is. Sigh. Poor American cars.

---- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<<<<