i3 is still six months away from launch

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2013/03/19/bmws-first-electric-vehicle-attracting-100s-of-orders-ahead-launch/
[image] BMW’s first electric vehicle attracting 100s of orders ahead launch
Faye Sunderland  Mar 19 2013  Source Headlineauto.co.uk

[image
http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BMW-i3-Concept.jpg
BMW i3 Concept

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BMW-i3-rear.jpg
BMW i3 rear
]

BMW already has ‘several hundred’ advance orders for its electric i3
supermini, set to launch later this year.

The carmaker’s first electric car and the first to launch under its i ‘Born
Electric’ brand, the i3 has been clocking up the customer interest since BMW
took it on a world tour last year, taking in Europe, the USA and Japan.

Hinting at the interest in the new model, Global Sales and Marketing chief,
Ian Robertson said: "We already have a lot of names and addresses even
though we are still six months away from launch. Project i also has 1.2
million Facebook fans and the interest is a lot higher than we expected.

Ulrich Kranz, senior vice president of BMW i, said the i3 is currently
winter testing in Sweden. He added: "We are making final adjustments and
everything is going very well. We are really confident and our expectations
are very high."

Kranz also expects that electric cars will quickly gain popularity,
overcoming range anxiety as battery technology improves and through hybrid
and range-extender technology.

Marketing chief Maximilian Kellner pointed out that last year 92,221
electric vehicles were sold around the world, up from just 4,669 in 2010.

Board chairman Norbert Reithofer told BMW Group’s annual accounts press
conference: "To have any chance of addressing the growing ecological
challenges in the world’s metropolitan areas, there’s no getting around the
use of zero-emission drive technology.

"In the medium term, megacities have no choice but to encourage the use of
alternative drive systems."

He cited cities such as London with its congestion charge and Beijing where
electric vehicles are already exempt from the allocation procedure for
number plates and from fees.

The BMW i3 features a carbon-fibre reinforced plastic passenger compartment,
an aluminium chassis which the company claims is 250-350kgs lighter than
other EV passenger cars on the road.

It is expected to have a driving range of around 100 miles per charge, which
customers will be able to extend with an optional range extending petrol
engine.
[© 2013 Really Good Domains]

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2013/03/19/bmws-first-electric-vehicle-attracting-100s-of-orders-ahead-launch/
BMW's first electric vehicle attracting 100s of orders ahead launch. BMW
already has 'several hundred' advance orders for its electric i3 supermini,
set to launch ...

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/bmw-announces-advanced-orders-i3-electric-vehicle
BMW announces advanced orders for i3 electric vehicle
BMW has arrived late to the electric vehicle party, but the new i3 Concept
is moving towards production. The i3 is not an electrified version of the
BMW 3 Series, ...

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2013/03/388_132428.html
BMW presses ahead with 'e-cars'
MUNICH - BMW Group pins high hopes on its electric vehicle series. “Already,
the first pre-production BMW i3s rolled off the assembly line in Leipzig in
January,” Norbert Reithofer said Tuesday, during the group’s …

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/?kwid=26355778637&adgrpid=1171028096&ef_id=UUmHaQAAAVUAN@Y5:20130320095449:s
BMW Offers a Simple Cure for EV Range Anxiety: Rentals
BMW made a big splash in the electric vehicle market earlier this month,
when word leaked out that the company’s new i3 EV might come with the offer
of conventional loaner cars for i3 EV owners who need to go on long trips
outside of their battery range.

For all EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

Here are today's archive-only EV posts:

EVLN: Toyota Targets 2020 For 600-Mile Solid-State EV Battery
EVent: EV conversion @ earthdaytexoma.org Festival 4/20/2013 North TX
EVLN: Ford Comuta EV was ahead of its time r:40mi ts:40mph
EVLN: Silicon Nano Beads Could Improve Li-ion Battery Life (video)
EVLN: LEAF Drivers In London Can Plugin For Free
+
EVLN: Your plugin is spying on you & you may have given it permission

{brucedp.150m.com}