From: Joe [mailto:jya...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 4:34 PM
To: Pestka, Dennis J; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] FW: Vibration

Dennis,

The vibration characteristic you describe is common with involute spline
connections (I've seen this here at work).  When splines are loaded, the male
spline is centered in the female spline by the tooth loads.

Run the same set unloaded and this natural centering ability goes away.  Now,
one spline is offset relative to the other which creates a larger mass
unbalance and higher vibration.

I'm unfamiliar with your vehicle so i have no idea if something like this is
applicable.  Perhaps there is some type of joint that behaves similarly and
maybe has worn a bit to allow extra motion when unloaded.

Joe

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Pestka, Dennis J via EV