So, as I mentioned in that previous post on air conditioning, I was at my shade
tree mechanic's yesterday; he was fixing a fuel leak on my '68 Westfalia. And
he had what I'm thinking may be the best idea yet for connecting the electric
motors in the Mustang.

Basically, mount a gear (two gears, in this case) between the transmission and
the U-joint, mount the motors under the seats, and connect each to the gear on
the driveshaft with a chain. The quick research I've done since then makes me
think a motorcycle's belt drive would likely be much preferable to a chain
drive.

This would solve a *lot* of geometry problems, *and* it would allow some
flexibility in using different gearing for the electric motors than the V8. For
example, if I have the math right, with a 3:1 rear end (factory stock for this
particular car that might still be in there) and standard 65- and 34-tooth
pulleys, the electric motors would see a 5.7:1 ratio. They'd already be over
1000 RPM in 15 MPH school zones, but they still wouldn't reach 8000 RPM until
above 100 MPH. 65 MPH would be at 5000 RPM, which is peak power for the AC-51.

My biggest concern would be the sideways torque on the motor shaft. Is that a
valid concern? HPEVS markets the AC-35 for use in motorcycles, and I'd think
that the AC-51 shouldn't be less capable in that regard.

I imagine there might be some challenge in machining something that would allow
the mounting of the pulleys to the driveshaft...but I also know that there're
machinists who're miracle workers who would be glad to do something like
this...for a price....

So...the question I'm sure y'all're tired of hearing from me: am I crazy?

Thanks again,

b&