From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Ben Goren via
EV
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 2:47 PM
To: jerry freedomev; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Hybrid Mustang: AC or DC?

On Aug 2, 2014, at 7:51 AM, jerry freedomev via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Both classicautoair and vintageair  make period some even stock A/C
units for yours.

Thanks, Jerry, for those references. They're going on the short list of
options, especially in light of subsequent posts.

On Aug 2, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Roland <e...@msn.com> wrote:

> What I did was install all the accessories off a separated aluminum
mounting accessories mounting plate that are use on some engines.

Were I going a traditional BEV route, with the electric motor going in
the same general physical space as the V8 currently is, that'd probably
be an ideal solution. But it seems likely that, one way or another, the
electric motors are going to wind up on the underside of the car
somewhere below the cabin, so a physical coupling to an auxiliary shaft
probably isn't going to be practical, alas.

On Aug 2, 2014, at 9:52 AM, Willie2 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Here is a cautionary tale of conversions and air conditioning.

Thanks for that, Willie. It's a splash of cold water that's making me
think that any sort of electric solution is going to have to beat just
turning on the V8 and letting it idle to power the air conditioner, even
in electric mode. That'll require the ability to decouple the
accelerator pedal from the carburetor as discussed yesterday, but that's
likely something that'll need to be done regardless. (Another thought on
that is a wireless electronic throttle on the carb, though there's a lot
to be said for something mechanical.)

On Aug 2, 2014, at 1:18 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2014 at 6:48, Ben Goren via EV wrote:
>
>> I'm now leaning towards insulated battery boxes with Peltier coolers.

> I don't follow trends in that world, so maybe there've been some
dramatic
> improvements in Peltier device efficiency.

I'll admit that I know of no such advances, and was simply guessing that
beer cooler cooling capacity would likely be good enough for batteries,
considering most people don't cool batteries at all. I likely wouldn't
be worried about active cooling for batteries were it not for the fact
that I'm in Arizona. Maybe I should start over: _should_ I be worried
about active cooling for batteries? And, if so, what're good ways to go
about it?

<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 2 Aug 2014 at 11:52, Willie2 via EV wrote:
>
>> I'm eager to hear of conversion air conditioner success stories.
>
> Solectria vehicles retained the factory Geo Metro aircon system, and
drove
> the compressor with a small (1hp?) DC brushless motor and controller.
The
> system seems to have been robust and reliable, if somewhat noisy.  It
used
> about 1500 watts from the traction battery.

That's an interesting thought. If I have the math right, that's all of 7
- 10 amps at the 144 volts I'm planning on for the traction battery.
And, for long trips that would run down the traction battery, I could
always (once I've got all the programming figured out) run the regen on
the motors (with motive power, of course, coming from the V8) at just
enough load to power the air conditioner.

I'll have to work some numbers with the power requirements for those
Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air units Jerry suggested.

On Aug 2, 2014, at 2:00 PM, Marion Hakanson via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> How about getting the air-conditioner from a wrecked Leaf?

Hadn't thought of it. That, too, is going on the short list -- and other
modern BEVs and PHEVs, too, I suppose. Thanks!

> It's pretty surprising how much power the Leaf heater draws.

Fortunately -- or not -- heating isn't much of a concern here in
Arizona. Quite the opposite, in fact....

A wimpy, underpowered ceramic heating option may well meet the 80 / 20
rule, with the V8 providing heat as a fallback in those very rare
circumstances that I might need more than what a small heater plus a
jacket would take care of. For that matter, no heater at all is probably
"good enough," at least initially.

Thanks again, everybody, for all your help!

b&