http://bc.ctvnews.ca/no-charge-couple-forced-to-move-because-of-electric-vehicle-1.1987615
No charge: Couple forced to move because of electric vehicle
Lynda Steele and Sandra Hermiston , CTV Vancouver  September 3, 2014

[image
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1987635!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg
(duplex 5-20 outlet)
]

A Port Moody couple has been forced to move after their building’s strata
corporation refused to let them charge their electric car, even though an
electrical outlet was just inches away from their parking stall.

When Kyle Weibe and Tamara Tedesco bought their electric vehicle, they
didn’t think it would be an issue to charge it. The previous building they
lived in had accommodated the vehicle and the couple had tracked their
electrical usage to $0.68 a day at BC Hydro's highest rate.

“We offered to either pay in monthly installments (to the strata) or a flat
fee to more than cover our electric usage," said Tedesco.

But the strata still said no. So the couple had to drive to a charging
station at a nearby community centre.

"I don't like leaving it overnight. It's a public area so sometimes I'll
return at 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. to pick it up," said Weibe.

Eventually, the couple reluctantly decided they would have to move. It was a
decision that was made more difficult because of the fact Tedesco is blind.

"It is extremely frustrating to have to move again, especially for me being
blind. It's just a whole other layer of adjustment, relearning my new home,
my new area," said Tedesco.

"It's a catch-22 for an owner. I want to go out and buy an electric car, but
my building doesn't have charging stations," said Tony Gioventu, president
of Condominium Home Owners Association of B.C.

CHOA has just completed an 18 month study on electric vehicle charging
stations in stratas. It found the easiest solution is to install charging
stations in condo parkades.

"You plug your car in. You swipe your prepaid card or your credit card and
that way the strata corporation doesn't have to worry about subsidizing
electricity for this individual," said Gioventu.

But the charging stations aren't cheap. They cost between $5,000 and $25,000
depending on whether electrical retrofits are required in older buildings.

And all owners of the strata would have to agree to the expense, even though
only 1,000 electric cars have been sold in all of B.C.

"These cars are good for the environment, and we don't need more barriers to
buy them than already exist," said Weibe.

Tedesco and Weibe had to approach seven stratas in Port Moody, until they
could find one that would let them plug in their electric car.

There are provincial incentives available for stratas that want to install
charging stations through a program called Clean Connect. That program will
give stratas up to $4,500 dollars toward the cost of each charging station
installed.  For more information on the electric car study you can visit
www.choa.bc.ca.
[© bc.ctvnews.ca]

For EVLN posts use:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=evln&sort=date

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1206&MainCatID=12&id=20140904000100
Electric car makers in China embrace Li (NiCoMn) O2 battery

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-advice/reviews/2014-mahindra-reva-e2o-t2-review/19548/
2014 Mahindra Reva e2o T2 premium version EV, Review

http://www.fiercesmartgrid.com/story/smart-city-data-reflects-san-diego-ev-market-attitudes/2014-08-27
Smart City San Diego released its Solar-to-EV project EVSE usage data

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-natural-gas-cars-20140906-story.html
EVcompetition: Honda&GM feigning range push neglected-stepchild ngvs

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Corporate&title=kea-launches-commercial-operations-for-tricycle-charging-station&id=93669
KEA launches commercial electric tricycle EVSE terminal in Bacoor.ph
+
EVLN: Electric Porsche looks like yesterday and drives like tomorrow

{brucedp.150m.com}