'I am blacklisted by Tesla all across the country'
*** Buyer beware - Caveat emptor ***
% Tesla running 'GM-liability-scared' > a petty-parts case of the
 'Sue Me, Sue You Blues' > The media stink caused Tesla react
  *** Otmar was Tesla-tortured before this %

http://gas2.org/2014/09/27/tesla-wont-activate-mans-salvaged-model-s/
Tesla Won’t Activate Man’s Salvaged Model S
[2014/09/27]

[image
http://gas2.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/salvage-tesla.png
salvage-tesla

video  flash
]

Starting at $70,000, the Tesla Model S costs more than twice what Americans
spend on the average new car, meaning most people that plain old can’t
afford it. This has led some people to take desperate measures, such as
repairing a salvage titled Model S, though a San Diego man is learning the
hard way that it isn’t quite that easy.

San Diego 6 News reported the plight of Peter Rutman, who spent $50,000 on a
damaged Tesla Model S, and then invested another $8,000 into repair it. But
when Rutman contacted Tesla about reactivating the car’s complicated
software, he says the company wanted him to sign liability waiver that
allows the automaker to ultimately determine the car’s roadworthiness.
Rutman says the document didn’t say anything about fixing or repairing the
car to accept a charge, and that it would allow Tesla to confiscate the
vehicle if they felt it wasn’t safe. Rutman refused to sign, and as such
says he’s been blacklisted by Tesla stores nationwide, meaning he can’t get
parts of technical assistance.

For its part, Tesla has serious safety concerns regarding the salvaged
electric vehicle, but nothing in the inspection authorization form they
wanted Rutman to sign would have let them take his car away. Tesla also says
Rutman had his vehicle repaired by a non-authorized Tesla installer, and
while he isn’t blacklisted, the company doesn’t sell certain parts that
require special training to install to just anyone. Compare that to
traditional automakers, which will sell you literally every piece you need
to build a car, except in the case of specialty vehicles such as the Camaro
Z/28.

Rutman isn’t the only one to run afoul of Tesla’s parts counter and
technical service though; a recent attempt to build a Tesla-powered
stretched-wheelbase Volkswagen Westfalia (the “Stretchla”) has run into
issues with Tesla as well. Because Tesla owns all its own stores and service
centers, there’s no outside network for people who want to fix or
re-engineer Model S components for their own purposes. Rutman has decided to
try and sue the salvage auction that sold him the Model S, since California
state law says if a car can’t be made roadworthy, it must be scrapped.

The takeaway here? For those car modifiers who want to use a Tesla
drivetrain for an EV conversion of their own, buyer beware. Rutman found out
the hard way that the rules that apply to conventional cars don’t always
apply to EVs, and especially not Teslas. Also I’d like to note, for the
$58,000 Rutman spent, he was just $2,000 shy of what a base 60 kWh Model S
would have cost, once Federal ($7,500) and state ($2,500) tax credits were
factored in.

As the old saying goes, penny wise, pound foolish.
[© gas2.org]

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/San-Diego-mans-58000-nightmare-with-a-Tesla-Model-S-277017201.html
San Diego man's $58,000 nightmare with Tesla Model S
By Derek Staahl Sep 24, 2014

SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego man bought a high-end Tesla at auction for nearly
half price, but now he can't get the company to activate the car.

Peter Rutman purchased the 2012 Model S Signature at auction in March for
$50,000 then spent another $8,000 fixing it.

He says repairing the car has been easy; dealing with Tesla has been the
challenge.

"I'm blacklisted all across the country," he said. "Nobody's allowed to help
us. They're not allowed to sell us parts. They're not allowed to service the
car. Nothing."

Rutman's Model S is a salvage title car, meaning an insurance company
determined the vehicle was a total loss. Salvage titles are a notoriously
risky proposition, but Rutman's case appears to illustrate something
unusual: no alternatives.

"Tesla has created a situation where there is nowhere to go. They've blocked
every avenue," he said.

Unlike other automakers, Tesla has a direct-sales model. That means car
buyers must deal directly with the company, not independent dealers. And in
the case of a dispute, the buyer has virtually no alternatives, according to
industry experts.

Rutman says he needs a Tesla-certified mechanic to switch on the car's brain
so it will accept a charge. But Tesla won't do it unless he signs a
liability release form. The form also gives Tesla the final say on whether
the car is roadworthy.

"The document they wanted me to sign didn't indicate they were going to do
any repairs to the car, or get it up and running," he said. "They can take
the car. They can keep it. They can do whatever they want with it."

A spokesperson for Tesla responded to those assertions Thursday in a written
statement, which is copied below in its entirety.

"It's probably something the state regulations haven't caught up on yet. But
he shouldn't have bought it to begin with unless he had the technical
know-how himself," said Dave Cavano, car buying manager at the Auto Club of
Southern California.

Cavano says it's important to remember why companies are careful with the
liability surrounding salvage title vehicles.

"Those (cars) are a danger to everyone if they don't act mechanically as
designed."

Rutman says he never would have purchased the car if he knew about Tesla's
terms in advance.

Now he's trying to challenge the insurance company who sold the car under
the salvage title designation by arguing it's not repairable. Under DMV
rules, cars that can only be used for scrap should be sold with an
"nonrepairable vehicle" title. So far, it hasn't worked.

"I want my money back. Just walk away from this and get back to my life," he
said.

Simon Sproule, vice president of communications for Tesla, issued the
following statement to San Diego 6 on Thursday:

"Safety is Tesla’s top priority and it is a principle on which we refuse to
compromise under any circumstance. Mr. Rutman purchased a vehicle on the
salvage market that had been substantially damaged in a serious accident. We
have strong concerns about this car being safe for the road, but we have
been prevented from inspecting the vehicle because Mr. Rutman refused to
sign an inspection authorization form. That form clearly states that in
order for us to support the vehicle on an ongoing basis, we need to ensure
the repairs meet minimum safety standards.

Regardless of whether or not the car passed inspection, Mr. Rutman would
have been free to decide where to conduct any additional repairs and to
leave with his vehicle. There was never any threat to take away his vehicle
at the inspection or any time thereafter and there is nothing in the
authorization form that states or implies that we would do so.

Additionally, Mr. Rutman opted to have his vehicle repaired by a non-Tesla
affiliated facility. We work with a network of authorized independent repair
facilities to ensure our safety standards are met. It is also worth noting
that Mr. Rutman is not on any “blacklist” for purchasing Tesla parts. While
we do sell certain parts over the counter, we do not sell any parts that
require specific training to install. This is a policy that is common among
automakers and it is in place to protect customers from the risk of repairs
not meeting our safety standards."

Sproule told San Diego 6 that Rutman is still welcome to have his vehicle
inspected at a Tesla-certified facility, and the company will waive the
inspection fee. But Rutman would still need to sign the liability release
form in advance.
[© 2013 Bay City Television]

http://investorplace.com/2014/09/tsla-tesla-tesla-model-s-auction/
Auction Pain: Why TSLA Won’t ‘Turn On’ Man’s Tesla Model S
The Model S is a salvage vehicle
Sep 25, 2014  |  By William White

A man from San Diego is very frustrated with Tesla Motors.

Rutman claims that Tesla wants him to sign a document that would allow the
company to take the car away from him. The company claims that it’s a
liability document. The man’s situation is unique as he has no alternative
but to work directly with the company to get the car running, San Diego 6
notes.

The Tesla Model S software was recently updated to give it several new
features. This includes being able to remote start the car with a smartphone
and give it an official nickname, but none of these options will help Rutman
if he can’t even get the car turned on.
[©2014 InvestorPlace Media]

http://www.teslarati.com/think-twice-buying-salvaged-tesla-model-s/
Think Twice Before Buying a Salvaged Tesla Model S
By Gene  Sep 26, 2014  San Diego 6

[image
http://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Salvage-Title-Tesla-Model-S.jpg
Peter Rutman of San Diego thought he landed a bargain when he purchased a
salvaged 2012 Tesla Model S Signature for $50,000 at auction, but what he
didn’t realize was that his efforts to put the car back on the road would
present more hurdles than just repairing a simple $8,000 worth of parts.
]

The top of the line and limited-edition Signature series Model S was offered
as a preorder for early adopters of the premium all-electric sedan. At
nearly $120,000 when fully loaded the Model S comes in at nearly twice the
price of other luxury sedans on the market thus adding a significant barrier
of entry for many. Unless of course you can pick one up for less than half
the original price?

Rutman saw an opportunity to get into the seat of a Model S at a deep
discount by purchasing one with a salvaged title through an auction. He
claims that repairing the vehicle into a visible working state was easy and
came with a relatively low repair cost at only $8,000. However having Tesla
Motors maker of the Model S activate the car’s onboard computer and allowing
it to drive came with a whole different set of challenges – something that
he’s been reluctant to address.

Rutman tells San Diego 6,

 “The document they (Tesla Motors) wanted me to sign didn’t indicate they
were going to do any repairs to the car, or get it up and running … They can
take the car. They can keep it. They can do whatever they want with it.”

To provide further context, Tesla Motors is asking Rutman to sign a form
that would authorize them to ensure the safety of the vehicle before
allowing it to be placed back on public streets. We think there’s good cause
behind this for many obvious reasons especially considering the vehicle was
given a salvage title by an insurance company ...

Simon Sproule, VP of Communications for Tesla Motors responds to the San
Diego 6 story:

[...]
[© teslarati.com]

http://www.autospies.com/news/WHO-Is-In-The-Wrong-Tesla-vs-Owner-Of-Car-From-Auction-We-GUARANTEE-Tesla-Won-t-Mention-This-When-IT-Talks-About-Its-Direct-Sales-Model-82911/
WHO Is In The Wrong? Tesla vs. Owner Of Car From Auction? We GUARANTEE Tesla
Won't Mention This When IT Talks About Its Direct Sales Model
Agent00R  9/27/2014
http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/09/tesla-motors-inc-model-s-bought-at-auction-causes-trouble/
 Tesla Motors Inc Model S Bought At Auction Causes Trouble
by Aman Jain
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/36214-San-Diego-Man-s-58-000-Nightmare-with-a-%28Salvage-Title%29-Tesla-Model-S
San Diego Man's $58,000 Nightmare with a (Salvage Title) Tesla Model S
2014-09-24
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor
Caveat emptor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Me,_Sue_You_Blues
Sue Me, Sue You Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vXZPztcGaY
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Tesla-responds-to-story-San-Diego-mans-car-problems-277180601.html
Tesla responds to story about San Diego man's car problems
Sep 26, 2014

Tesla says it will inspect the man's car free of charge, but he still must
sign a liability release.
[© 2013 Bay City Television]
http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/
Otmar's salvaged Tesla EV woes not resolved ...
 Parked Wreckla, Pariah at Pasture
 Petty Problems Purchasing Parts ...

For EVLN posts use:
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble+template%2FNamlServlet.jtp%3Fmacro%3Dsearch_page%26node%3D413529%26query%3Devln%26sort%3Ddate