On Dec 21, 2014, at 3:30 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> It's more efficient and cheaper to take the energy you were going to use to
> reduce the CO2 and use it to drive the vehicles directly, rather than making
> synthetic fuel with that energy.

...but only in those cases where powering the vehicle with onboard electric
storage is an option. Today, that's the case for most commuter and city cars, a
substantial fraction of private vehicles. And it's also the case for any fleet
vehicle with a set daily range that's less than an EV's total range.

But it'll likely never be the case for airliners, cargo ships, and the like,
and it'll be a long time before it's the case for long-haul trucking and farm
equipment.

> Your point seems to be
> that we can't pry ICEVs out of the public's hands, so we should make fuel
> for those vehicles.

If only it were only the public's private vehicles! But the problem is much
bigger than that. True, making a big dent in the problem by electrifying the
domestic fleet will help free up petroleum fuels for the heavy machinery, and
that's a very good thing, but it's not the whole of the solution.

> However, that fuel is going to be awfully pricey
> because of the amount of excess (wasted) energy that goes into it.

Yes, it will.

But petroleum-based fuel is going to soon be as pricey, and it's only going to
get more pricey after that. Remember...our "best" wells are miles deep with
wellheads a mile or two under the ocean surface, and the Canadian Frikkin' Tar
Sands are now "economical"!

> Regrettably, the media gleefully pick up on these bogus analyses.

Oh, no doubt. This one doesn't even pass the "sniff" test. 95% of an EV is
identical to an ICE, and, save for the battery, that remaining 5% is much
simpler and cheaper in the EV. The battery, quite obviously, passes through it
over its lifetime <i>far</i> more energy than it takes to manufacture; who here
thinks it takes thousands of gallons of gasoline to manufacture a single
battery? That leaves the energy itself -- and price per mile is an excellent
quick-and-dirty proxy of how much carbon per mile the vehicle uses, assuming
all the energy comes from carbon fuels. That ledger is so far in favor of the
EV that you've got to be on the Koch Brothers's payroll to pretend anything
else could tip the scales back towards the ICE.

...and that's ignoring the fact that EVs are just as happy using non-carbon
sources for their electricity. If you've got enough PV panels on your roof to
power both your home _and_ your car, any pretense that you're polluting more
than the neighbor who doesn't is so pathetically transparent that I don't think
even the Koch brothers would try to put it forward.

b&