From: Ben Goren [mailto:b...@trumpetpower.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:29 PM
To: Robert Bruninga; Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] OT: batteries for solar PV off-grid

On Dec 23, 2014, at 2:21 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Giving them terrible efficiency.  That's almost 50%.  Given that an
> electron-in to charge at 70 volts comes out at 36 volts is a 50% loss of
> "power" and hence efficiency.   Such batteries are great for standby
back
> up systems where efficiency is of no concern.  But for a daily solar
> cycle, adds another 50% loss factor on top of an already abisymal 30%
> performance per dollar.

If battery A has half the efficiency of battery B, but battery A has a
service lifetime of a century and battery B only has a service lifetime of
several years, it's battery B with the abysmal performance per dollar.

Unless, of course, battery B costs a tiny fraction of battery A,
especially if battery C with superior performance to either A or B is
expected to appear on the market by the end of battery B's lifetime.

b&