"The engine growl in some of America’s best-selling cars and trucks is actually
a finely tuned bit of lip-syncing, boosted through special pipes or digitally
faked altogether"

[...]

"Orchestrated engine noise has become a necessity for electric cars, which run
so quietly that they can provide a dangerous surprise for inattentive
pedestrians and the blind. Federal safety officials expect to finalize rules
later this year requiring all hybrid and electric cars to play fake engine
sounds to alert passersby, a change that experts estimate could prevent
thousands of pedestrian and cyclist injuries."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/americas-best-selling-cars-and-trucks-are-built-on-lies-the-rise-of-fake-engine-noise/2015/01/21/6db09a10-a0ba-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html?hpid=z2

I _like_ quiet! But if a sound system that makes fake "Vroom! Vroom!" sounds is
what it takes to get people to buy electric, bring it on. Though I predict that
it won't be long before that sort of thing is as dated as bellbottom trousers
and pagers.

b&