I think the hardest "feature" that I want (w.r.t. building a simple
"bad boy" style charger) is the ability to automatically work with
both 120v and 240v input, and switch between them without user
intervention.

With a simple phase control system, I imagine that this would mean I
would have to only have the SCR's turned on 50% of the time (or less)
when running at 240 volts, while using most/all of the phase at 120
volts.  (I believe this would result in the need for serious PFC?)

Is there a nice trick to passively switch between 120 / 240 input?

(e.g. some way to have a full bridge on 120 that automatically changes
to a half bridge on 240? I can't think of a way that doesn't involve
plugging the 120 and 240 inputs into different ports)

I suspect that I'd have to switch actively (relay or SSR) between two
different systems (PFC or taps on a transformer, etc...)

Jay