Oh actually - and regarding your solar panel idea - most people will tell
you that's a pipe dream and you'd need a gigantic array to get even a
slight range boost and that it will wreck your aerodynamics - but hey, my
van was just such an experiment when on campus at Mankato State.

There's a photo of it here:
http://www.evalbum.com/4126

If I recall from the materials that came with my van when I bought it, the
panels boosted efficiency by 20% on average.  Not bad!  and that was 1982!

I can't say I cared for the repairs I had to make to all the dents left by
the solar rack in my thin metal on the roof, but whatever...   it can be
done!