I was just pointing out that the anode, to which lithium ions diffuse during
charging, is graphite in the cells we use such as CALB, as well as in Leaf
and Volt cells.  Dahn readily admits he is new to battery research and just
coming up to speed. Nice work though.  It is also known that coatings on the
anode can reduce deposition of lithium carbonate on the anode due to slight
overcharging.  Lithium also deposits out of solution if the cell is taken
below about 1 V.  Similar effect to overcharge, increases cell resistance,
reduces capacity. Of course severe over charge or discharge destroys the
cell.  I don't know much about the materials science and chemistry of
lithium cells, but I think researchers in the area know quite a lot.