When my leaf was delivered it was "dead", but I was able to boot it up,
clear error codes, and view the OEM BMS statistics via the OBDII port
and the Android Leaf Spy application. The charging system, High Voltage
battery and EV motive system all appear to be working correctly.

If you are interested, see all the pictures and read the details here:

http://www.summet.com/blog/2015/03/28/booting-up-a-nissan-leaf/

Or, read the wall of text that follows.

Jay

Hojas, the wrecked 2013 Nissan Leaf that I purchased at an auto auction
site was delivered to my house, and appeared completely dead. The first
thing I did was to check the 12 volt “accessory” battery, and found that
it had drained down to 1.5 volts. I think this was because in the
collision one of the rear doors was knocked ajar, and the interior
lights were illuminated because of that, but it could have also been due
to the 2-3 months it had been sitting in the auction yard, or perhaps
somebody initiated the emergency shutdown procedure.

IMG: 15972195_5X

After charging the 12 volt battery back up, I was able to put it into
“accessory” and “on” mode, but it would not switch into “ready to run”
mode. It was showing several error and warning lights, including the EV
system one (a yellow car with an exclamation point) and the airbag
warning one (Red airbag icon) likely due to the fact that the driver’s
front airbag had deployed… A few others (ABS/power steering) were also
on. It also refused to start charging via the (found in the back of the
car!) Nissan Leaf 120v trickle charger unit.

IMG: original_errors_main

But I was able to confirm that the pack was about half charged and the
dashboard claimed it still had 12 out of 12 bars of capacity. I also
removed the door open sensor so that the system thought the rear door
was fully closed.

My next step was to purchase a $10 OBD II bluetooth dongle, and the $15
“LeafSpy Pro” Android application. This application shows you detailed
information about each module in the battery pulled from the BMS system,
and also allows you to re-set some DTC trouble codes. Mostly I wanted to
check out what the OEM BMS had to say about the battery modules before I
pulled the battery, but I figured that if I could clear out some of the
trouble codes I might be able to get the car to charge (testing the
charger system) and or even move under it’s own power (with some wheel
dollies under the rear wheels….)

The news from the OEM BMS module was good:
IMG: battery_state

All cells were very close to the same voltage (within 11-13 mV), the
pack health metric was at 98%, and the voltage histogram was very bell
curve shaped and narrow.

IMG: voltage_histogram

Lots of DTC codes were thrown all over the place. (Crashes tend to tend
to trigger a lot of systems to say they might need to be checked
out…especially ones where the airbags go off…)

IMG: original_DTC_codes

I manually reset all of the codes, and when finished the only ones that
have reappeared on their own were the Airbags (no surprise) and several
ABS and brake systems (the rear wheels and rear wheel brake booster were
impacted, so I suspect if I looked up some of these codes they would be
from modules/sensors located on/near the rear end) and an external
temperature sensor. (The car claims it is -22 degrees F outside, so
somewhere an external temp sensor got crunched…)

IMG: final_DTC_codes

The real good news is that the general “EV parts” warning light (yellow
car with ! inside of it) turned off, which allowed the charging system
to function.

IMG: charging_lights

IMG: trickle_charger_working
I tested it using the Nissan 120v trickle charger and everything seems
good to go. The blue charging indicators lit up and the trickle charger
unit indicated that it was charging. I left the battery close to the 64%
state-of-charge I found it in, as keeping the modules partially
discharged for storage seems like the reasonable thing to do.

IMG: error_messages_mostly_cleared

Clearing the codes also allowed the car to get into the “READY” (to
drive) mode and show the green car icon with an arrow under it. I was
able to shift it into Drive and Reverse (the backup camera still works,
although it shows mostly wreckage hanging off the back of the car…)

IMG: backup_camera_works

Of course, once I try to drive the car other codes may get thrown….but I
don’t plan on driving it far, as one of the rear wheels has a piece of
steel body panel jammed into it…I have a set of wheel dollies shipping
towards me now.

IMG: cutting_wheel_free

I cut away all of the crunched plastic surrounding the front drivers
wheel, and I believe that if I put the rear wheels on dollies I will be
able to drive it around under it’s own (front wheel drive) power. If
not, I ordered a total of 4 wheel dollies, and can just muscle it to
where I need it to be…but the idea of drifting a Leaf along my driveway
to the garage with the back end on swivel casters has a certain appeal.