> Since I really wanted a battery back-up...

Everyone's situation is different, but I had to ask myself, how often do I
lose power (and how quickly can I rig emergency power?)?  Around here it is
99.95% reliable (average 4 hours per year outage).  My typical home (1 kW
average) then loses about 80 cents of electricity per year.  Now how many
thousands of dollars and maintenance and replacement of batteries for the
rest of my life is worth 80 cents a year?

To me, its ludicrous to have home batteries...

But, of course, I do. (Wife insists on it).  SO I have 4 small marine
batteries and a 2 kW inverter (total cost about $500) to power all the
lights and the refrigerator overnight.  (Though I have not used it EVER in
the 4 years I have had solar).  And since it may on average only happen once
a year, I don't even bother with a charging system.

If I ever used the system, and needed to charge those 48v worth of
batteries, I have two clip leads that I will just clip from the 450v solar
panels directly to the battery.  The solar panels of course are current
limited to about 7 amps, so they will drop to the 48 volts for charging just
fine (human in the loop to disconnect when full).  The only excitement is
when I disconnect the clip lead and draw a nice welding arc.

With 16 kW of solar panels (6 strings at 450v or so) I have 6 strings of 7
amps or 42 amps of DC suitable for charging ANY battery (of any voltage)
during an Armageddon event indefinitely.  And although I have done designs
of an automatic switch over system and charge regulator... I just cannot
justify the time investment to replace 80 cents of electrticity per year...

Again, everone's situation is different.  But there is nothing I hate worse
in life than batteries. (except the one in the EV of course!)

Oh, another reason I have never used the "home backup" is simply because I
have a 1500W inverter in the Prius, and the few times I needed power, I just
plug stuff into it.  See  http://aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html

P.S.  The above availability of LOTS of kW of DC solar is why I have
encourage DIY folks to wire their 400-500v SERIES Strings PV with a
center-tap so that with loss of grid, they can parallel the two halves and
then get DOUBLE the current.  In my case, that could make over 80 Amps of DC
(at any voltage from 12 to over 200v) available for charging.

Even on cloudy days, the 80 amps worth of solar will still produce 8 amps of
charging (sun rise to sunset) which is alos fine for my 4 marine batteries.
SO I never need more than overnight 12 hour battery storage for the refer
and lights.

Bob, WB4aPR