http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/coal_rolling_banned_in_nj_under_law_signed_by_chri.html
Christie signs ban on customizing N.J. trucks to belch thick black smoke
By Matt Friedman |  May 04, 2015

[image
http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/width430/img/politics_impact/photo/17702183-mmmain.jpg
Assemblyman Tim Eustace (D-Bergen), shown in this file photo, sponsored the
legislation to ban 'coal rolling' that Gov. Chris Christie signed today
(Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-Ledger)

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsC0kLNSLAQ&feature=youtu.be
Prius repellent
doug coons  Jul 12, 2013
Prius......like a pesky little mosquito
]

TRENTON — An odd facet of the culture war is now illegal in New Jersey.

Gov. Chris Christie today signed legislation (S2418) to ban the practice of
"coal rolling," in which drivers modify diesel trucks to belch thick black
smoke — often as a show of defiance towards environmental policies and
technology.

"Coal rolling increases air pollution in New Jersey and creates unsafe
driving conditions on New Jersey's already congested roadways," said
Assemblyman Tim Eustace (D-Bergen). "By banning coal rolling, this law will
build upon a history of environmental protection in our state."

Eustace, who drives a small electric car, got the idea for the bill from
personal experience. While driving his Nissan Leaf, a raised pick up truck
in front of him engulfed his car in a cloud of smoke.

Videos on the internet show pick up truck drivers blowing the smoke at
Toyota Priuses.

The law, however, is somewhat redundant. State Department of Environmental
Regulations say that vehicles "shall not emit visible smoke, whether from
crankcase emissions or from tailpipe exhaust, for a period in excess of
three consecutive seconds."

And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said modifying trucks to belch
smoke is illegal under federal law.

The new law bans "retrofitting any diesel-powered vehicle with any device,
smoke stack, or other equipment which enhances the vehicle's capacity to
emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions."

"It's to actually make sure we enforce the law. We have laws that lay
fallow, I think, in some circumstances," Eustace said. "This doesn't come
off as very important unless you've been coal-rolled."

Eustace said that he's also heard from a state trooper who was coal rolled
while riding his bike by the side of the road and was temporarily blinded
with it, and a woman who experienced it while driving young children on the
Turnpike.

"It's to actually make sure we enforce the law. We have laws that law
fallow, I think, in some circumstances. This doesn't come off as very
important unless you've been coal-rolled.

Under the law, it's up to the state DEP to set the fines.
[© 2015 New Jersey On-Line]
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/newjersey/2015/05/coal_rolling_could_prove_costl.html
Coal rolling' banned ...
May 04, 2015
https://www.google.com/search?q=coal+rolling
Search  coal rolling  (aka rolling coal)

[dated]
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-NJ-lawmaker-Eustace-s-EV-engulfed-in-rolling-coal-tp4670959.html
EVLN: NJ lawmaker Eustace's EV engulfed in "rolling coal"
Aug 12, 2014

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}