On May 13, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I thought that torque was calculated/measured at the wheels

It can be measured anywhere, but is typically specified at the output shaft of
the motor (whether electric or ICE) unless otherwise noted, for the simple
reason that gearing changes torque. Horsepower can also be measured anywhere,
and is generally assumed to be at the motor unless it's specified to be at the
wheels. Both figures, of course, depend on engine RPM, and peak value is
generally specified even though average torque tells you a lot more about what
the engine can do than its peak.

If it's at the motor, the torque gets multiplied by whatever the final gear
ratio is. The ICE half of my Mustang is going to have a 3.89:1 differential,
and the engine will put out a relatively constant 400+ ft-lbs between 3000 and
6000 RPM...which works out to about 1600 ft-pounds at the wheels in fourth
gear, and nearly 5000 ft-pounds in first -- again, a problem in a ~3000 pound
nose-heavy car, but a good problem to have.

When I put a dual AC-35 with ~2.5:1 reduction to a front wheel drive axle into
the car in the next phase of the project, all-electric mode should be superior
to what the original 260 cu. in. V8 was capable of...and hybrid mode is going
to be insane, to use Tesla's word.

b&