      From: brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: ev@lists.evdl.org
 Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2015, 10:23
 Subject: [EVDL] EVLN: “Is this thing on?” Mastering the art of driving an EV

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/1376639/butterflies-on-the-dashboard-mastering-the-art-of-driving-an-electric-vehicle/
Butterflies on the dashboard: Mastering the art of driving an electric
vehicle
May 24, 2015 | By Heide Pearson

[images  / Jeff Harper
https://metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/05-25-hal2-electric-heidi-jh.jpg
Reporter Heide Pearson, left, gets instructions from Scott Smith of Ford
during a test drive of a fully electric vehicle Sunday in downtown Halifax.

https://metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/05-25-hal2-electric-car-jh.jpg
]

“Is this thing on?”

My first thought while sitting in the driver’s seat of a fully electric Ford
Focus on Sunday.

Scott Smith from Ford took me to test drive of one of many electric
vehicles, or EVs, on the Nova Scotia Power parking lot off Lower Water
Street in downtown Halifax.

The EVs are in town for Ride ‘n Drive, part of the annual Electric Mobility
Canada conference happening at the Westin Nova Scotian from Monday through
Wednesday. It’s the first time the conference has come to Atlantic Canada.

Once I pressed the “on” button, the car was completely silent. I checked for
a little green symbol on the dash that indicated we were ready to roll.

“You’re expecting that rumble, but you’re not gonna get it here,” assistant
product marketing manager Smith said.

Cruising the city streets wasn’t much different from being in a gas-powered
car. I was expecting a whirring sound, or less power, but was surprised to
find how natural the EV felt.

This model has a regenerative breaking system, meaning if you break
gradually you recharge the battery. Smith said drivers can return from a
short drive with more kilometres than they started with because they
regenerate power from smart breaking.

Also, if you drive efficiently, blue butterflies fly across the dashboard
screen at the end of your drive.

I got the butterflies, so I’m a natural.

There were several people at the event trying different EVs and hybrids.
Mindy and Damian McCarville drove the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Nissan Leaf and Kia
Soul electric vehicles.

“They’re super cool,” Mindy said. Damian loved the quiet drive and the
power.

A standard EV can drive about 130 kilometres on a full charge, Smith told
me. So they’re ideal for short commuting.

Electric Mobility Canada president and CEO Chantal Guimont said she hopes to
see more people driving EVs in the future.

“It’s a really irreversible trend,” she said. “We’re gonna get there; we
just wanna make it faster.”

A basic EV can go for $30-35,000 but the economic return can be seen within
three to five years, Guimont said.

For me, the butterflies on my screen were a real hit.

Nova Scotia Power launched Halifax’s first electric vehicle fast charging
station at the Barrington Street Superstore on May 14.
[© metronews.ca]

For EVLN posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098350_why-lg-chem-leads-in-electric-car-batteries-materials-science-it-says
LG Chem sez their Materials Science Leads In EV Batteries

http://www.thenational.scot/news/university-of-dundee-shows-off-its-all-electric-vehicle-fleet.2993
University of Dundee shows off its all-electric vehicle fleet

http://millelacscountytimes.com/2015/05/13/visionary-charging-station-caters-to-area-e-car-owners/
Visionary charging station caters to e-car owners

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2015/05/18/goe3-launches-first-universal-charging-station-route-phoenix-tucson-signaling-end-%E2%80%98range-#axzz3aWfOmP23
GOe3's Universal L3&2 EVSE Route from Phoenix<->Tucson AZ
+
EVLN: Carmel-CA PD separate and baby-sit drunk EVSE-fighting drivers

{brucedp.150m.com}