I want all the naysayers regarding solar panels on vehicles to look at the
World Solar Challenge.  The Cruiser Class rules are pushing the envelope on
practical  solar vehicles.  Progress is happening fast.  Just look at the
creations of the students at Einhoven University of Technology.  This year's
contestant Stella Lux is exceeding the performance of the original Stella.  The
formula is known.   Sub 1000 pound weight.  16 kw battery.  1.5 kw solar array.
 Cd of .16. Range  pushing 700 miles. Sure the vehicle will be ugly but look at
the I3.   If BMW builds a car like that a solar car can't be far behind.  BTW
the shape that will work has been around since the 1930's.   Lawrence Rhodes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlörwagen.