I had a similar yet different experience to Damon's.

Years before I had my Blazer EV, even before I worked at hp.  I had a choice
to make when I was just starting out after my Vietnam war era service (I was
lucky action didn't see me , but think of how big and easy a shoot-able
target I was). I needed to buy transportation for my 13 mile commute from
College to my work at Memorex's 'new' 5" double-sided floppy disk production
line.

My skinny 1970's budget let me choose between a Honda 50cc ice cub
https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+50cc+cub&tbm=isch
 or an Auranthetic Electric mini bike
https://www.google.com/search?q=auranthetic

I chose the Auranthetic but I paid extra to have two motors and higher
gearing. So, instead of a top speed of 15 mph with a range of 30 miles, I
had a top speed of 30 mph and a range of 15 miles.

It still had the wimpy 7A on-board rectified-transformer-type charger
(extremely slow). I took the transformer out of a 12VDC 20Amp Sears
Automotive charger
http://www.electric-cars-are-for-girls.com/images/transformer-rectifier.jpg
 and added a bridge-rectifier in a configuration that allowed for a
center-tapped 24VDC that would charge each of the two 12V deep-cycle
lead-acid batteries.

This configuration pushed twice the output current the transformer was
designed for, thus over heated it. I put a 120VAC boxer fan on it to cool
it, and then mounted it to the rear rack so I could charge fast where ever I
found a (L1) 120VAC outlet.

I was able to secure charging at the College, so I was able to regain what I
used during my classes. From a far I saw the students passing by would
notice the Auranthetic, but not really spend much interest. Their main
thoughts were why I was allowed to plug into the College's outlet. I put a
paper notice on it explaining, but the students never spent time reading it.
So, though they were not angry or upset that I was allowed to plug in at
school, they did not think it was 'great', 'good', or cool.

After class, and an enjoyable Electric ride to work, I too pulled my
Electric mini bike inside the warehouse and was allowed to plug in.
Co-workers were not happy that such a Big Guy would ride such a smallish
bike (my knees were up banging against the handlebar on turns). They also
did not like that I was allowed to plug it in at work.

While no one unplugged or vandalized my ebike, I got plenty of daily dirty
looks and snarky ending comments when dealing with coworkers. The
Auranthetic served me well even after I was hired by hp. My wife drove the
ice, and rode the Auranthetic.

Much later when I got my Blazer EV from the converter, it was a different
story.
An Electric Blazer (!?!), they thought 'That's cool!'.

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
From: damon henry
There are many different scenarios.  I rode my electric motorcycle to work
all summer long.  I drove right into the warehouse past all the warehouse
workers and plugged into a normal 120v outlet that my boss said would be
fine for me to use.  Everyone in the company thinks the bike is cool and no
one complains about the free electricity my boss is willing to give me.
-