There are several methods to repair a battery post.  A quick temporary one is
to use a post that screws on to the side terminals of a battery.  These are use
by battery shops to charge this side terminal batteries or you can get them
from some auto parts store.

Prepare the surface of the damage post by milling it flat with a 1 inch speed
bit.  This will give a center starter hole.  These side terminals post adapters
come with a 5/15 threaded stud it in and a hex shoulder. Drill a hole in the
battery post area with a 1/8 inch drill bit only the length of the stud.  This
will be the pilot hole for the speed bit.   Then drill this hole with a 1/4
drill bit for a 5/16 inch NC bolt tap.

Tap this hole with a 5/16 inch NC bolt die tap with plug tap.  Do not use a
taper tap which will not allow you to tap all the way to the bottom of the
hole.

Brush the base of these post adapter and screw it on tight to about 10 inch lbs
or less then one foot lb.

You can later seal the two matting surfaces with a lead wire, that can be
melted using a shallow post mold made out of a 1 inch diameter black steel pipe
which is cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch long.  I get the 100% pure lead wire that comes on
spools from a fish and tackle shop they use for lead weights. This places a
small raise shoulder at the bottom of the post.

Because this steel pipe is straight and not taper like a post mode is, it will
stay on.  First clean this pipe to a bright clean surface and apply some solder
flux to the surfaces.  Tinned this with some 50/50 solder before installing it
on to the temporary post.

Use a small pencil thin flame torch tip.  You can actual get lead burning tips
from Victor for lead working that have a long thin flame.

It is best to have the battery discharge to about 50% SOC and let it set with
the caps off for about 24 hours.  Before you start the flame work, Place
several sheets of wet paper towels on top of the battery and around your work
area. The cover the wet paper towels with a wet thick wool cloth.

Keep a spray bottle next to you to re-wet the surfaces if required.

The other method I use is use battery post molds than you can purchase from a
battery shop.  This are higher molds which will required the long thin battery
melting tip.  The Victor 00 size will work, but keep the flame as small as
possible.

You will need to put down pressure on these post modes while you are melting
the lead, because the lead may float these post mode up.

Roland