There is simply no way a viable, fully enclosed, highway capable,
electric vehicle ( that can pass safety tests ) can do anywhere near
55wh per mile.

This statement is so wrong.  You simply have not been paying attention.  The
Tesla Cruiser Class in which Stella and now the new winner for 2015 Stella Lux
compete.  Notice the name.  It is now sponsored by Tesla.  The whole World
Solar Challenge is sponsored by Bridgestone Tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3FPK0KNZuc
This vehicle has a full roll bar and 5 point harnesses.  It is much safer than
my Leaf.  It also had a State of Michigan license plate for the trip in the
USA.  The interview was done last year at the Dutch Consulate in San Francisco.
Lawrence Rhodes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2767806/Meet-Stella-solar-powered-car-drives-500-miles-SINGLE-charge-warns-traffic-lights-change.html
 Original Stella which in 3 photos you can see my blue bicycle.  You could say
I'm a fan boy of electric vehicles.  In 1997 I viewed the record breaking 1000
mile run by Kummerow
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19971201/press008310.htmlI've
been doing this for a while.