'r:50mi ts:70mph, carries 400 pounds, box has 12 250W solar panels, Lutz
backed, +more'

http://www.xconomy.com/detroit-ann-arbor/2015/12/17/current-motor-makes-waves-with-its-mini-fleet-in-a-box/
Current Motor Makes Waves with its Mini-Fleet-in-a-Box
December 17th, 2015  Sarah Schmid

[image
http://www.xconomy.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/2015/12/Mini-fleet-in-a-Box-1-e1450379809757.jpeg
Mini-fleet-in-a-Box — Current Motor is the Ann Arbor-based maker of the
mini-fleet-in-a-box of electric motorcycles. The shipping container they
arrive in is also a solar charging station.

video
https://vimeo.com/144124231
Current Motor_Mini-fleet-in-a-Box
from Lauren F (November 2015)
Current Motor makes all-electric cargo motorcycles and mobile solar charging
stations, together a Mini-fleet-in-a-Box, targeted at mining, manufacturing,
medical/emergency, military/1st responder, municipal/Smart Cities markets
around the world.
]

Michigan is home to a number of innovative mobility and transportation
startups seeking to change the ways we move people and goods around the
globe. Add Current Motor to the list. The Ann Arbor-based maker of electric
vehicles and solar charging stations (with a manufacturing plant in
Manchester, MI) is starting to get the world’s attention for its
mini-fleet-in-a-box, a self-contained transportation solution for the
developing world and hard-to-access places.

This fall, Current Motor was honored by NextEnergy and the University of
Michigan’s Sustainable Mobility and Accessibility Research and
Transformation initiative as the winner of the annual Michigan MobiPrize,
given to entrepreneurs who are developing and commercializing innovative
mobility companies in the Great Lakes State. A few weeks later, the company
traveled to India to accept an award for its technology.

The mini-fleet-in-a-box contains four industrial-strength electric cargo
motorcycles that go faster and carry more weight than motorcycles meant for
consumers. They come in a 20-foot shipping container equipped with solar
panels. It serves as a charging station capable of charging the motorcycles
in about five hours.

“It’s a green solution that literally works out of the box,” said Lauren
Flanagan, co-managing director at Belle Capital and Current Motor’s
executive chair. “We give them everything they need, including spare parts
and cleaning products.”

The intended customers are those in the developing world where fuel is
expensive or hard to come by, remote mining operations, large global
manufacturers, the military, and medical or rescue operations. “If you’re in
a situation like Hurricane Sandy, where there’s no power and no fuel and
it’s too hard to get a big vehicle in to do search and rescue, you could
have our fleet dropped in by helicopter,” Flanagan said.

Motorcycle ridership is relatively small in the United States, she said, but
globally, it’s a popular mode of transportation. Many overseas businesses
opt for motorcycle fleets instead of cars or trucks, especially in Brazil,
Russia, China, and India. Originally, Current Motor planned to design
vehicles for the consumer market before realizing it’s an expensive and
time-consuming industry to break into.

“We realized our business model was too hard to achieve but we had this
great technology, so we started looking at what else we could do with it,”
Flanagan said.

The technology behind the fleet’s motor, powertrain, and shipping container
was developed by Current Motor and is patent-pending. The motorcycle is