I made an excell spreadsheet and charted my vehicle. Weight was by far the
dominating force until 65 miles an hour when are drag passed it.
In most cases you can divide the with by 10 to get a good estimate of Wh/m.
There are variables light temperature and others things they discussed that
alter this but still an excellent rule of thumb.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone-------- Original message
--------From: Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> Date: 1/7/2016  6:00 PM
(GMT-06:00) To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org> Subject:
Re: [EVDL] EVLN: This Is The GM-200mi EV Before You Are Supposed To
  See It (v)
It is a bit of a bugaboo that weight is important in terms of energy
consumption. More important is air drag losses, and rolling resistance.  In
the thought experiment where there are no losses to friction, the weight is
meaningless except for whatever change in elevation there is from start to
finish - if you go down overall you actually benefit from greater
gravitational potential at least for that trip. But, it is really a wash in
the theoretical sense..

Yes, it takes more energy to get the heavier vehicle up to speed, but that
is then inertia, and you get it back with some regen instead of wasteful
brakes, or you get it back not losing as much speed when going downhill.
The weight can add to rolling resistance (losses to heat in the tires), but
this is really second order stuff.  If the heavier car is smoother in the
air that is very important.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Willie2 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 01/07/2016 03:12 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>
>> What am I missing here?  I don't understand why the responses to this post
>> are talking about how much energy a Tesla takes.
>>
> I guess I failed to be clear though it seemed quite obvious to me. Let me
> try again:
> 1) The Bolt display was shown with extraordinary high energy consumption
> per mile.  You expressed astonishment at the numbers.
> 2) I commented that such high consumption was not unusual early in a trip
> in cold weather with a cold battery.  The Bolt display clearly indicated
> only the first part of a trip, ~10 miles.
> 3) I cited some Tesla numbers, in cold weather with a cold battery, that
> approached the Bolt numbers.
> 4) From there, discussion went on to warming batteries on shore power thus
> circumventing that high initial energy consumption from the battery.
>

>> The article was talking about the GM car with the cringeworthy name, BOLT,
>> not a Tesla.  That's what I was responding to.
>>
>> They're not at all comparable.  The Bolt is (will be?) a much lighter car
>> than the Tesla.
>>
>> The Tesla S weighs over 4600 lb.  That's more than a Ford F150 4x4 pickup.
>> You'd expect it to be a class A amphog.
>>
>> But not the Bolt.  The rumor mill suggests that it'll probably be about
>> the
>> same weight as a Leaf.  I'd expect it to be a bit more, just because it's
>> made by GM, but not so much that it would use 3 times the energy that the
>> not dramatically optimized Leaf does.
>>
> There is not much difference in energy per mile between a Leaf and a
> Tesla.  Leaf instrumentation is uninformative but battery size and range
> indicates that a Leaf does no better than about 200 wh/m. Teslas can do
> around 250 wh/m in warm weather at 50-60 mph. Typically, in warm weather,
> Teslas can do 80mph on 350 wh/m.
>

>> Maybe there were mitigating factors in this case, but my first impression
>> is
>> - that's just gross.
>>
> Yes, the numbers were gross.  Perhaps it was cold car with a cold battery.
> I expect the Bolt, under good conditions, will do 200-250 wh/m.

Thomas A. Edison
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross